SJ Segway Tour for 5:00--Anyone done it?

moondoggie

• 2 weeks later...
We heard that the 5:00 Segway tour skipped the fort, but was even 'better'--can anyone tell us where it goes when the fort is closed? We're interested! Thanks.

Juan takes you over the same route. You even go to the front of the fort. We had the best time on this tour. Just book it. You will love the tour. Best excursion on our cruise.

The tour goes over Old San Juan. Enjoy!

We also did a tour that I believe started at 6:00 for 45 minutes (they stayed open late for us and did another tour when we got back) I agree that it was one of our best excursions we have done. They are a great couple and you learn a lot about the history of the city. We left when it was light out, but came back in the dark. The city is beautiful lit up at night. We only wish we could go back for a 2 hour tour!

Book it, you won't be sorry you did!

Our family of 3 did the Segway tour and it certainly was a highlight. The couple who run the business are very kind and wonderful to deal with. We did the tour last December and will be in San Juan again on our next cruise in March. I would book the Segways ANYTIME even without a tour!:D

I would say that it is! I really enjoyed it. A thought... have you inquired about a possible discount from Jose if you all 6 do the 2 hr. tour? I don't know if that would come close to making it affordable for a family of 6, but you might ask. Jose impressed us as a warm and kind man. If he has unbooked Segways it might make sense for him to make you a package deal.

We did the Segway a couple of weeks ago, but not in the evening. We had a 9 a.m. tour, the two hour one. What a fun time we had! They are very easy to operate, and sure saves on the walking! There are stops for photo-ops, the guide (we had Natalie) takes the pictures of you, with your camera. She took movies of us, too, showing off our zig-zagging maneuvers. You will learn lots of historical tidbits along the way. The advantage of the 2 hour one, is you get a tour of EL Morro also, again, with lots of interesting facts.

I would reserve in advance, on-line, via his website. They have a limited number of Segways (maybe 10 or so?). You wouldn't want to be disappointed. You don't have to pay until the end of the tour.

What do you think about the 45 minute tour versus the 2 hour tour? For our family of 6, we really can't afford the 2 hour tour, but could probably swing the 45 minute one. Is it worth it?

Donna,

DH and I took the 45 min tour last month and it was definitely one of the highlights of our cruise. We had already toured both forts via the free trolley before we saw the segway tour, so it just made sense for us to take the 45 min tour that does not go to the forts. Jose was our guide and he was excellent. We saw a part of OSJ that we hadn't been and Jose was very informative and it was a great history lesson. We couldn't spring for the 2 hour tour because we had already booked a bio bay kayak tour for that evening, but I'm so glad we did the 45 min. It was definitely worth it.

Couple things...

Can someone be more specific on who to contact for this Segway Tour in San Juan? I cannot find who/where you are talking about.

I have been looking at this tour offered by the ship. On the listing it says that this tour is STRENUOUS, is that true? I thought this was a great tour of people of all sizes and ages??

Thanks for any information on a great segway tour in San Juan.

Jose is the person I contacted to set our reservation. I believe that he and his wife are the owners.

Regarding strenuous, the only thing I can think of is when you park the Segways and walk through the fort (there are some phenomenal views from various places and some historical information to learn). There is walking and stair climbing at that part of the tour. However, there is NO requirement that one participate in all of the walking. It would be entirely feasible to "sit out" a portion and let the others proceed.

With respect to riding on the Segway...nothing strenuous about it. Simple as standing up and shifting your weight ever so slightly in one direction or the other.

Jose is the person I contacted to set our reservation. I believe that he and his wife are the owners.

Regarding strenuous, the only thing I can think of is when you park the Segways and walk through the fort (there are some phenomenal views from various places and some historical information to learn). There is walking and stair climbing at that part of the tour. However, there is NO requirement that one participate in all of the walking. It would be entirely feasible to "sit out" a portion and let the others proceed.

With respect to riding on the Segway...nothing strenuous about it. Simple as standing up and shifting your weight ever so slightly in one direction or the other.

Thanks so much... but I think I am still missing something here... Jose works for what company? How do I contact?

Ok... I get you on the strenuous thing. That is no biggie. I want to take this tour with my parents and our friends. So, stairs can be opted out if you want to?? Good to know. I thought I had read that this was a great tour for many different people, so?? Thanks... that helps.

SO... there is no requirement to book this tour through the ship?

Got off the Victory and took the 2 hour tour with Natalia. Segway is easy to ride - they give plenty of instruction before you take off. Tour was informative and fun. Since they weren't too busy that day, Jose was kind enough to keep an eye on our luggage while we were out (but ask ahead of time). Great folks!

Archived