"Will You Marry Me?" A Question of Where???

mikjr

Our son and his girlfriend are going on their first cruise with us... leaving on Oct 17 to Mexican Riviera on the Sapphire.

He is going to propose to his girlfriend on this trip... she does not have any idea what he's up to.

The question is... when and where??

He's thinking maybe he should do it on sale away... or maybe first formal night... since it's only a 7 day cruise... he sure doesn't want to wait too long. Should he do it at dinner with everyone around? or somewhere secluded... he's obviously nervous and wants it to be right.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Our son and his girlfriend are going on their first cruise with us... leaving on Oct 17 to Mexican Riviera on the Sapphire.

He is going to propose to his girlfriend on this trip... she does not have any idea what he's up to.

He's thinking maybe he should do it on sale away... or maybe first formal night... since it's only a 7 day cruise... he sure doesn't want to wait too long. Should he do it at dinner with everyone around? or somewhere secluded... he's obviously nervous and wants it to be right.

This is so sweet. What ever her does please come back and tell us how it went.

I would suggest that he take a little time alone to talk to the cruise director or the Maitre d' once on board and see if they have a suggestion of a way to do it special on board. I'm sure after seeing many proposals they might have some wonderful ideas.

Hi There,

You can do it on Muts,

evening game shows etc,

depends if you want to capture it on video,

or just do it private,

a lot will depend of how she will respond,

I have set my DW a couple of times with messages on Muts

yours Shogun

Hi There,

You can do it on Muts,

I have set my DW a couple of times with messages on Muts

yours Shogun

I heard the Sapphire doesn't have MUTS... is that not correct?

I would suggest that he take a little time alone to talk to the cruise director or the Maitre d' once on board and see if they have a suggestion of a way to do it special on board. I'm sure after seeing many proposals they might have some wonderful ideas.

Yes, talk to the Cruise Director and he should be able to arrange something fun. Maybe at a show in the Princess Theater or in Club Fusion?

I heard the Sapphire doesn't have MUTS... is that not correct?

True, no MUTS on the Sapphire yet...

If he's nervous he shouldn't do it in a very public place like the dining room. But a cruise is a great way to propose. I came up with the following when I popped the question:

Plan A: Ultimate Balcony dinner. A photographer comes by to take your portrait, might be a good moment.

Plan B: Late night watching the wake from an aft deck. Always romantic while hugging your sweetheart.

Plan C: Scope out the formal portrait stations before getting dressed to see which one you like. Then secretly arrange for that photographer to 'stage' her and take some candid pictures for the 'moment'.

But.......my planning didn't work out that way. Spur of the moment I ended up proposing to my wife on the aft deck in Glacier Bay. Luckily a ship photographer happened by so we got a good photo of the moment with the Margerie glacier in the background. Then we celebrated that night with the UBD. So somehow I got parts of all three plans! :)

Best wishes for your son.

Don`t let him do it in public unless he is absolutely sure she will accept.

It would spoil the cruise if she didn`t anyway.

I am sure it will be lovely whichever way he does it.

Where do you get these romantic men anyway.:D

I vote for a private proposal -- if it were me, that is the way I would want it. The UBD and Sabatini's are great ideas --- but how about a private moment at sunset, on deck or on the aft of the ship near the Terrace pool??

What a nice idea. It depends on the girl, of course - is she the type that would go for a public proposal? Would she be embarrassed or would she love it? If she'd love it, another idea is the champagne waterfall night (usually the first formal night). I saw a proposal happen there on our Christmas cruise and it was very sweet, and everyone gathered for the waterfall watched and applauded. The photographers got photos and video, and the couple was the first to pour the champagne. A very nice moment.

Best of luck to your son, and be sure to let us know how it turns out!

As others have suggested talk to the CD and MD. I would recommend asking the videographer to get involved too - capture the moment for ever and everyone. A nice private place would be the bridge if the Captain can be convinced.

I proposed twice on a cruise the first was absolutely mad I did it over the breakfast show on the crusie directors programme right into everyones stateroom and they made a right fuss over it , well my now wife left a message with the CD that day saying she would think about it and that was then announced the following morning and then on the third day we had the YES , we were the talk of the ship and we actually got stuck in a lift with a load of other passengers one day and theywere actually talking about us to us not knowing who we were

Second was on a formal evening the CD arranged for me to get on stage and propose that again was a wonderful setting

And yes we did get married and went to Alaska for our honeymoon

Personally, if I was the bride to be, I would want a private proposal. A proposal should be between the intended only and not an audience. Just my humble opinion.

I so agree. The UBD would be the absolutely perfect setting for a proposal and since you get a photograper the moment can be set up in advance and you will have a great photo remembrance.( and a fabulous meal)

My DH proposed to me on the Grand Princess 11 years ago and I had no clue that he had this planned (although everyone else we went with did). He waited until the second night and plenty of romance was already in the air (and I was thinking how nice it would be if he proposed on the boat - although things like that didn't happen to me). After dinner one night, we went walking around the Promenade Deck (we did this every night before bed) and he stopped and while talking, got down on one knee and proposed. It was quiet, romantic and wonderful. We went inside to celebrate with a drink, then went upstairs to ask the DJ at Skywalkers to play something special and we danced and danced. I guess I preferred it that way to the fanfare.

Just my two cents. However he does it, I'm sure she'll love it. Let us know and have a great trip!

On the Bridge. Hopefully, you can arrange the Captain to be there. You may have to purchase a tour or something, but so what.

Princess has a lot of class. Write a letter to the Captain right when you get onto the ship. He may show up!

I proposed to my wife in October 2002 on a Mexican Riviera cruise. I waited for the first formal night (we love to dress all out), we went to Sabatinis, but I decided I didn't want to do it there even though the ring was burning a hole in my pocket. She asked if I'd like to go for a walk and we ended up on top of the bridge at the most forward spot you can reach on the ship. There were few other people there that late, so I waited until everyone was gone and did the down on one knee thing.

It went great, that was our 2nd Princess cruise and we're on our sixth Princess / seventh total cruise next June with our two children!

Ohhh, I am sure that there are lot's of romantic ways to propose while onboard!!!

However, I have never thought that a proposal was a community event...

Honestly, I wouldn't even want my in-laws to have been involved.

To me, this is a private moment between two people.

Unless he is quite sure that she would relish this happening in the limelight with others around, then I too would suggest a private moment for the proposal.

There can still be a big too-do celebration to announce their engagement!!!!

I would contact passenger services and find out if they could be of help.

Here is some contact info that has been posted here on the CC board

Berda Davis

Star, Grand,

(661) 284-4451

bdavis@princesscruises.com

Diana Hall

Diamond, Sun

(661) 284-4449

dhall@princesscruises.com

Jenny Streeck

Sapphire, Dawn

(661) 284-4444

jstreeck@princesscruises.com

Berna Grayr

Emerald

(661) 284-4448

bgrayr@princesscruises.com

Sue Tieman

Grand, Pacific

(661) 284-4446

stieman@princesscruises.com

Coleen Reyes

Crown, Sea

(661) 284-4447

creyes@princesscruises.com

Renee Wittwer

Island, Coral, Ruby

(661) 284-4443

rwittwer@princesscruises.com

Elizabeth Williamson

Caribbean

(661) 284-4442

ewilliamson@princesscruises.com

Jan James

Royal, Golden

(661) 284-4452

jjames@princesscruises.com

Candice Lemell

Special Diets

(661) 284-4450

clemell@princesscruises.com

I think it all depends on the bride to be! Personally I would have LOVED a grand, public gesture. We have lots of private moments, but knowing my answer would be an emphatic yes, I think my DH could have safely done something public. It would be a story you could tell forever and I'm sure the CD onboard would be happy to help if that is the route you want to go. I sort of love the Princess theater on formal night idea! Just be prepared to be adopted by everyone on board for the rest of your cruise as you get lots of well wishes and congratulations. To me that would be fun, but to someone more private maybe that would feel intrusive.

But, if she is more private and a public display would make her uncomfortable some of the other suggestions sound very romantic. I think PV is a very romantic port. When you are docked in Banderas Bay at sunset, it is stunning so that might be a lovely backdrop.

I'm sure not matter what you decide she will be thrilled!

Another vote here for Ultimate Balcony Dinner, assuming they have a balcony, of course. ;)

If they do, it's not too difficult to find out when sunset is each night. He can then choose a night when his/their balcony is facing west (which is possible since it's a round trip out of LA), and time it so that sunset occurs at whatever point in the dinner he prefers: after dessert, during dinner, whatever. This has the advantage of being private, romantic, and having a ship's photographer available to take a photo if they like.

Other romantic areas on this ship are the Promenade, as mentioned by someone else, especially right at the bow; on top of the bridge or the highest point forward on the Sky or Sports deck, or on top of the bridge (though I can't recall if you can access that on the Sapphire.)

I also agree with others who have suggested Sabatini's. It's just such a wonderfully romantic setting all on its own, and the staff there always go out of their way to make the experience extra special. A brief word beforehand with the Maitre 'd and I have no doubt they would see to it that their experience was seven that much more memorable.

Good luck to you and to your son and his bride-to-be. I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

This actually brings to mind a story we heard from some friends on their cruise a couple of years back. A young man at their table asked their waiter (ahead of time, of course) to bring out the ring with great fanfare on a covered plate, I think at dessert. The waiter removed the cover with a flourish in front of the fiancee-to -be, and I hear it was a big hit with her. All the waiters and surrounding diners applauded-- she said yes, of course! Your son could also arrange this with the maitre d', I'm sure he would be glad to help out.

Archived