Bringing boxed wine on board - which do you recommend & what size?

brenderlou

• 1 month later...

...to freezing cold rain...but that's another story by itself!:eek:

On the subject of box wines,we bought 2 boxes of the Black Box 2008 Monterey County Chardonnnay and 1 box of the '07 California Cabernet...both were undrinkable in my estimation,the chardonnay smelled oxidized and tasted tired and the cabernet was very simple,sweet and nothing to write home about.Wifey drank it all (12 bottles by herself) with no help from me.

Oh well...live and learn I guess.

After reading about boxed wines on the board previously, we decided to give it a shot on our last cruise. I remembered someone saying the Black Box Chardonnay was pretty good. So...since we've received so much good advice from the boards, we gave it a try. Never again. It was awful. I tried to drink this stuff, but gave up and gave it to Stewart to "throw away" for me and bought some onboard to last me until we got to the next port. My spouse who is not noted for having a great palate tried it and wouldn't drink it again.

Guess we'll stick to bottles of the good stuff.

After reading about boxed wines on the board previously, we decided to give it a shot on our last cruise. I remembered someone saying the Black Box Chardonnay was pretty good. So...since we've received so much good advice from the boards, we gave it a try. Never again. It was awful. I tried to drink this stuff, but gave up and gave it to Stewart to "throw away" for me and bought some onboard to last me until we got to the next port. My spouse who is not noted for having a great palate tried it and wouldn't drink it again.

Guess we'll stick to bottles of the good stuff.

You obviously have an excellent palate and great taste...;)...glad to see I'm not alone.

With the bag out of the box, there's nothing to turn. Just take the bag out, press the button and pour. Just don't take the bag or the box to the dining room-very tacky.:D

I take it in under my shirt, works great.:)

I know I have also seen someone embark with a case of wine as carry on. Called Princess last week and they advised me only 1 bottle wine per person is allowed as a carry on. However she also said Princess does not go through checked bags, and that you can bring on however much you want in your luggage. I asked if we can bring wine on board that was purchased in a port as well; no. But she said Princess does not search your bags when you return to ship. So, just walk through with your bag of wine/liquor and no one will know. Since there are 4 in our group, we were thinking about each couple bringing box wine for the cabin. We would like to bring our own bottled wine for dinner but since the charge is $15 corkage fee per bottle, we were thinking about bringing the 1.5 ltr bottles at embarkation and replenish at ports as needed. Has anyone every brought the larger bottles to dinner?:rolleyes:

On NCL if you brought on any wine you had to pay the corkage fee per bottle. If you carried on any liquor or beer it was confiscated and sent to the "bad boys room" where you could collect it the last night of the cruise. Same applies for anything hidden in your luggage. You would find a note at your cabin telling you to come to the bad boys room to collect your suitcase (minus the booze which you could get back the last night of the cruise). This is because your luggage was xrayed. Does this not happen on Princess? What can and can't you bring on? I'm all for paying for drinks on the ship but being able to make my own in my room is nice.

Thanks!

On NCL if you brought on any wine you had to pay the corkage fee per bottle. If you carried on any liquor or beer it was confiscated and sent to the "bad boys room" where you could collect it the last night of the cruise. Same applies for anything hidden in your luggage. You would find a note at your cabin telling you to come to the bad boys room to collect your suitcase (minus the booze which you could get back the last night of the cruise). This is because your luggage was xrayed. Does this not happen on Princess? What can and can't you bring on? I'm all for paying for drinks on the ship but being able to make my own in my room is nice.

Thanks!

Just saw the thread called "The Naughty Room." Please forget my post!

Archived