Crowds on the Dawn

metgame24

We are booked on the Dawn for mid June 2010. Wondering about the crowds that time of year. We previously sailed on the Dawn in May and had no problem with crowds on the ship. From what I read, the summer season gets very crowded. I know when schools get out you have more large family groups. Not opposed to that at all, as I will also be traveling with older teens. Just wondering what to expect differently from my previous cruise time. Thanks :)

We've cruised the Dawn in June 4 times now (5th time next June 13th!). And, we've never felt like we were really crowded. There are definitely a lot more kid son board than in May as schools are usually letting out about that time. But, we never felt overwhelmed.

I don't know about that time of year but we sailed on the Dawn Easter week. We thought we were avoiding school vacation week but found out the hard way that New York has that week for school vacation. :eek: We had 2,700 on board a ship considered full with less than 2,300 on board. I felt like they had us packed in like sardines. Forget the pool and forget finding a seat in the sun there were just too many people and too many kids. You took your safety in your own hands as there was absolutely no crew supervising for safe conduct nor any parental supervision not even with kids using the hot tubs as a diving platform into a pool that was shoulder to shoulder full of kids. Our second day at sea we were so thankful we had a balcony room, it was our refuge from the throngs of unsupervised ill behaved kids and chair savers on that day.

one other thing...I notice all your little notations next to all your cruises. Interested in the one from June 2009-a different Experience-is that good or bad??

Never been on a bad cruise :D But, this one was a little different in that we experienced what could have been an emergency health and safety issue about an hour before sail-away (I won't go into the details because it was an isolated incident and addressed appropriately). We considered not sailing at all. And, that would have caused a logistics nightmare. So, we decided to go ahead with the cruise. But, for the first 2 days we were a little nervous being out in the middle of the ocean with only the small medical facility on board (which is VERY good, but it's not a hospital). But, fortunately, we suffered no ill-effects and are eagerly anticipating being back on the Dawn next June.

Archived