allowing time for cruise

laurie10

I AM BETWEEN 2 FLIGHTS ARRIVING ON THE DAY OF MY MAY 21,2010 RCCL CRUISE DOES ANYONE THINK THERE IS ENOUGH TIME ONE ARRIVES AT 12:05 and one at 12:50pm TO MAKE A 5:00 PM DEPARTURE? OR SHOULD I ARRIVE THE DAY BEFORE? THANKS FOR ANY INPUT. DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG IT TAKES TO GET TO THE AIRPORT TO THE PORT.

I don't think one flight is significantly better than the other. Either one should get you to the pier in sufficient time assuming you encounter no problems enroute, but if it is at all possible, try flying in at least a day before and avoid the stress of worrying that your flight might be delayed or canceled. IMHO, the cost of a hotel is more than offset by the fact that when you awaken on the morning of your cruise you will be only minutes away from the ship and can enjoy a leisurely morning breakfast before leaving for the pier and the beginning of your cruise vacation.:)

There is no way I would fly out the same day as a cruise. Too much can go wrong....flight cancellation, mechanical problems with plane causing a delay, storms at either the home or destination airport causing a delay etc. I have been reading these boards for too long and have come across some very sad stories of people who missed their cruise because of flight issues. An Alaska cruise is an expensive vacation. I would go out at least one day early. JMHO

I really think you need to come in the day before. If the ship departs at 5, you should be on board by 3, I think. I looked up this cruise, and it appears you're leaving from Vancouver. So you have customs to get through before you can leave the airport, plus waiting for luggage, getting a taxi...

What if you're plane is delayed, on top of that? I don't know if you have a direct flight, but if you have connections, there's even more possibility of something going wrong.

If you really can't come a day early, get the earliest flight possible. And then pray, wish on a star, whatever.

I agree with PennyAgain,

If you are arriving at the Anchourage Airport at say 12:50 PM you will have to get your luggage so after gathering everything and getting ready to head to the ship you now have 3 and a half hours time. If the ship leaves from Steward you will have a very hard time making that connection. Most ships want you to be onboard one hour before the ship sails. I would call the cruiselines and find out what they recommend. Probably the easiest way would to flying in one day early and take the Ship's transfer down to the port or plan on booking the train down to the port. There is one more possibility....fly in two days early and rent a car and drive down to Portage Glacier. This will be a chance to see some beautiful scenry that you may not get to ever see again. I say take your time and enjoy some really nice county. I hope this helps. Tim

Well with their port time, they are either leaving Seattle or Vancouver. Boarding is now 2 hours prior. This is a tight timeframe, that everything would have to go perfectly. Not sure how well traveled they are, organized, no limitations on hauling their own luggage etc etc etc

Definately not the best current plan. IF they can come in a day prior, then do so.

Hi Laurie, We are also from Fl. and also on the May 21st cruise. We are flying in the day before to Seattle....and taking the train to Vancouver 35pp. The hotel was 99. It is less than the flight to Vancouver. I don't know where in FL you are flying out of, we are Orlando, but our ticket to Seattle was 120 pp. So just over 200.00. Not too bad.

Hi Laurie, We are also from Fl. and also on the May 21st cruise. We are flying in the day before to Seattle....and taking the train to Vancouver 35pp. The hotel was 99. It is less than the flight to Vancouver. I don't know where in FL you are flying out of, we are Orlando, but our ticket to Seattle was 120 pp. So just over 200.00. Not too bad.

Hi we are flying out of Ft.Lauderdale what airline did you use and is your hotel in Seattle or Vancouver?thanks

Archived