FCC for International passengers.

AndyTheK

There is a current thread going about FCCs but I don't want to hijack that thread, so I'm starting a new one.

We're booked on a December cruise, and have pretty much decided on our next cruise to be in Sept. 2010. My plan is do the FCC thing when we're on board, and book at that time. So far so good.

But, as International passengers... not the UK or AU where there is a separate web site, we log into the standard US site, but we can not book on line. When we try to, we are directed to call the Princess Rep. in our country.

For the December cruise (our first on Princess) we booked through our regular local TA. No real problem doing this, except that we were "required" to put down a HEFTY deposit of 1/3 of the fare. Also, it seems there is a three-tier structure to travel agents: My TA is a subcontractor for one of the major national agencies (which is the company submitting charges to VISA). The Princess International Rep. is the company listed as the TA of record on our personalizer/boarding pass/ I have no idea of the connection between the Princess Rep Company (they are a TA) and the major national agency we are actually going through. I have never called, written, or in any way had any contact with the Agency listed as our TA in the boarding pass!

So... does anyone really know what will happen if we book using FCCs on board in December?

I want my local TA to get credit for our booking, and have no desire to become involved with the Princess Country Rep. How do I do this? I also want to be sure that we get the benefit of $100 deposit pp... if I wait until after the cruise to book through my TA, will Princess require the 1/3 deposit, with some excuse or other about "not qualifying" for the 100 dollar figure.

I know what I would LIKE the answers to be. Can someone help out with knowledge based on experience?

Thanks in advance.

Princess does have different rules for different countries, and I do not know the rules for where you live.

Normally, when you obtain the FCC if you wish to also book on board, you can specify the travel agent that you want to use.

If you are allowed to obtain FCCs (based on where you live), the reduced deposit should apply if you make the booking onboard or after you get back home.

There is a current thread going about FCCs but I don't want to hijack that thread, so I'm starting a new one.

We're booked on a December cruise, and have pretty much decided on our next cruise to be in Sept. 2010. My plan is do the FCC thing when we're on board, and book at that time. So far so good.

But, as International passengers... not the UK or AU where there is a separate web site, we log into the standard US site, but we can not book on line. When we try to, we are directed to call the Princess Rep. in our country.

For the December cruise (our first on Princess) we booked through our regular local TA. No real problem doing this, except that we were "required" to put down a HEFTY deposit of 1/3 of the fare. Also, it seems there is a three-tier structure to travel agents: My TA is a subcontractor for one of the major national agencies (which is the company submitting charges to VISA). The Princess International Rep. is the company listed as the TA of record on our personalizer/boarding pass/ I have no idea of the connection between the Princess Rep Company (they are a TA) and the major national agency we are actually going through. I have never called, written, or in any way had any contact with the Agency listed as our TA in the boarding pass!

So... does anyone really know what will happen if we book using FCCs on board in December?

I want my local TA to get credit for our booking, and have no desire to become involved with the Princess Country Rep. How do I do this? I also want to be sure that we get the benefit of $100 deposit pp... if I wait until after the cruise to book through my TA, will Princess require the 1/3 deposit, with some excuse or other about "not qualifying" for the 100 dollar figure.

I know what I would LIKE the answers to be. Can someone help out with knowledge based on experience?

Thanks in advance.

hi Andy, you can book your next cruise whilst onboard and your local TA would get the booking and commission and you would get the OBC plus the other benifits but in Australia if we book on an aussie princess ship...the booking goes to a local TA as we dont have a US addresss.... we have to pay half deposit and if the cruise is over 28 days the deposit is a lot more...for a 30 days cruise the deposit goes up to $1500 AUD

some aussie people book thru US TA's only if they are cruising on a o/s princess ship as the price is a lot cheaper

rkmw

Book while on board. The rep. will give you the info you need if there's any problem with your living outside of the US or Canada. You can keep the booking with Princess and transfer to the TA of your choice at that time or when you get home.

Thanks to both of you for the replies.

hi Andy, you can book your next cruise whilst onboard and your local TA would get the booking and commission and you would get the OBC plus the other benifits but in Australia if we book on an aussie princess ship...the booking goes to a local TA as we dont have a US addresss.... we have to pay half deposit and if the cruise is over 28 days the deposit is a lot more...for a 30 days cruise the deposit goes up to $1500 AUD

some aussie people boo9k thru US TA's only if they are cruising on a o/s princess ship as the price is a lot cheaper

rkmw

Hmmm... what we are looking for here is that we will NOT have that hefty deposit... on our upcoming cruise, we had to put down $1000 USD pp. for a 15 day cruise. Considering that we will be in the midst of a cruise, this is a budget buster.

What complicates the issue further is that we require an HC cabin (we book a specific cabin, no guarantees or flexible reservations possible), so it's in our best interest to book as early as possible.

Book while on board. The rep. will give you the info you need if there's any problem with your living outside of the US or Canada. You can keep the booking with Princess and transfer to the TA of your choice at that time or when you get home.

Thanks for the reply. I was looking for some heads up on if there WOULD be any problem. With all due respect, acknowledging that you are a long term Princess passenger and CC poster and not being facetious, but you might not realize that Princess has some different procedures and restrictions with regard to International passengers. I am not allowed to book online, for example. I am not given the opportunity to contact Princess by email. The "contact us" webpage directs us to our Local International Rep. Please remember also, that "toll free 1-800" numbers are NOT free from outside the US and Canada. While you correctly think that something can be settled with a simple call to Princess, I shudder to think of sitting on hold in the Princess telephone maze with international phone rates ticking off the minutes. I would guess that the reason why Princess chooses to concentrate communication through a single Agency in this country is for the economic saving involved, as well as the "single point of contact" advantage.

Of course, all this being said, in the end we will do exactly as you suggest. I just hope that the on board Future Cruise Rep will be truly informed as to what is possible to do, and not simply push the matter to the Local International Rep.

Sgalom, Andy

Thanks to both of you for the replies.

Hmmm... what we are looking for here is that we will NOT have that hefty deposit... on our upcoming cruise, we had to put down $1000 USD pp. for a 15 day cruise. Considering that we will be in the midst of a cruise, this is a budget buster.

What complicates the issue further is that we require an HC cabin (we book a specific cabin, no guarantees or flexible reservations possible), so it's in our best interest to book as early as possible.

Thanks for the reply. I was looking for some heads up on if there WOULD be any problem. With all due respect, acknowledging that you are a long term Princess passenger and CC poster and not being facetious, but you might not realize that Princess has some different procedures and restrictions with regard to International passengers. I am not allowed to book online, for example. I am not given the opportunity to contact Princess by email. The "contact us" webpage directs us to our Local International Rep. Please remember also, that "toll free 1-800" numbers are NOT free from outside the US and Canada. While you correctly think that something can be settled with a simple call to Princess, I shudder to think of sitting on hold in the Princess telephone maze with international phone rates ticking off the minutes. I would guess that the reason why Princess chooses to concentrate communication through a single Agency in this country is for the economic saving involved, as well as the "single point of contact" advantage.

Of course, all this being said, in the end we will do exactly as you suggest. I just hope that the on board Future Cruise Rep will be truly informed as to what is possible to do, and not simply push the matter to the Local International Rep.

Sgalom, Andy

If the on board rep accepts your booking; you are booked. You will only have to pay $100/PP deposit. As for an accessible cabin, you might already be too late for one of those. You mentioned September and 9 months in advance may not be far enough.

I realize you are an international passenger, but you are not UK or Australia. They have completely different procedures. I thought you had mentioned you were an American living in Israel. In that case, there's no comparison with the above.

If the on board rep accepts your booking; you are booked. You will only have to pay $100/PP deposit. As for an accessible cabin, you might already be too late for one of those. True. The one we're on in December was booked 8 months in advance. the new one is on the Crown - 12 HC Balcony cabins vs. 8 on the Coral, same per pax ratio. And if not... well, there's always next time. You mentioned September and 9 months in advance may not be far enough.

I realize you are an international passenger, but you are not UK or Australia. They have completely different procedures. I thought you had mentioned you were an American living in Israel.Yes. In that case, there's no comparison with the above.

Comments in red above.

Glad you enjoyed yout cruise. Welcome back.

Shalom, Andy.

Archived