Afraid to meet & mingle ?

Ashland

Did we even have a Meet & Mingle on that Alaska cruise Colleen? :D I don't really remember one. I certainly do remember how much fun we had with you and Doug! Bill still talks about how much fun he had learning to play craps, and the disco and all over. We are really, really glad we met you both.

~Patt & Bill :)

Hi Patti, Good to hear from you!

I think there was a Meet & Mingle but I know Doug and I didn't go, we were doing something else and lost track of time. Yes, we had a great time with you both as well. One of these days we will have to do it again. Our schedules are such that with the kids we usually have to travel certain times. But the youngest is 16 now and driving so we are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, LOL!

Say hi to Bill for us.

Colleen

we are all kinds.... CC'ers are an... well.. an odd bunch... truly and not in a negative or demeaning sense... most people don't get this "into" cruising, the way an avg CC'er can.. they don;t know the sqr footage of the best cabins... they haven;t spent days drooling and dreaming like we , err I mean like the avg CC'er does.... we have a reputation out there that isn't all that spotless due to the very few who use the CC badge as a way to threaten and bludgeon their way through a vacation.. more pity on them as they miss the real opportunity to let go and release the tension, but for them life doesn;t work that way... sigh....

So not only are we avid and rabid about what we do, we are also people of all sorts and frankly there are bound to be conflicts of interest etc, but as one person sorta said, never let someone else's attitude or bad day enter your sphere of bliss, for they can only affect you if you let them....

Go to the M&M, ignore the bore and party with the hearty!

When i found CC in '99 , the best advice I got and it still is valid... Do not let anyone ruin your vacation. You have paid too much and deserve this time to rejuvinate yourself. If you find yourself sitting next to a person that is in anyway unfavorable, get up and find a new spot. The ships are just too massive to not find a better place. Take control by changing your space. Yes you were there first, and now this obnoxious group is there doing those obnoxious things that irritate you, but are you going to change it by getting upset? NO, so move... create your own sense of Ahhhhhhh by taking control of the time and space you are in. Ask for a new dining table, move your seat in the theater. Eat at off hours to avoid the crush. Oreder room breakfast for 6:30 and be happy that you knew you really wanted it sometime before 7.... attitude people... lol :D

I very much love your way of thinking... something that can be applied to more things in life than just vacation (although, not always possible)... MOST times, we have a choice. I choose to not sweat the small stuff :p

A~

I never miss the M&M; in fact before they had them we did "rubber band" parties. We talk on roll call, wear colored rubber bands or ribbons or whatever, and agreed to meet at certain time in a certain bar.

People can be be very different in person. There were some people I bonded with on roll calls who would up being real duds and vica versa. Go and enjoy.:D

I have gone to all of the M&M's except for 1 time. I have made wonderful friends through Cruise Critic and then solidified those friendships by meeting in person, going on excursions together, etc.

I really feel Cruise Critic and the M&M's have added a great deal of pleasure to my cruising experiences.

But to answer what I think your questions are implying:

It seems someone must have overstepped their priviledge to post and they were critical of you. That happens on all boards, at times. Sometimes you will note it is the same person (over and over and over) who is rude, condescending, mean-spirited, etc. Those people are definitely in the minority. Most CC members are lovely people who share a common interest with you - cruising and a specific itinerary. Keep smiling. :)

I don't think you need to file a 'disclaimer' when you post. Be ready to defend your point of view, at times, though. I've been the vicitim of a few posters, myself. It really gets me angry but I sign off and wait a day or two and then come back and move forward. Every now and then you are going to run into a jacka$$ who believes they can hide behind the keyboard and get away with whatever they want. In the end, those are the people who have no friends, have very lonely lives, and depend on message boards to keep them boosted up.You know, some people just cannot resist burning out your candle so theirs will shine brighter.I only feel pity for them.

Go to your M&M and put a big smile on your face. Turn your back on anyone who wants to take that smile away from you. :) Have a fantastic cruise!

As usual Mavis Marie, you make good sense. I agree completely with your thoughts. I also have enjoyed the M&M get-togethers. I have enjoyed the roll call discussions, and the follow-ups with the M&Ms.

By the way Mavis Marie, our group on the Brilliance was the best, wasn't it? :D;)

Gerry

At times I have been to (should be TOO) cantankerous on the board, more than once I have told people that there (THEIR) views are out of line . The problem lies that at home in front of the computer I have way to (TOO) much free time.

The only people who (WITH WHOM) I would have a problem with on a cruise if I met them are:

chair hogs

rude people

adults

children

people who get in my way

people who like fox news

people who like msnbc

people who voted for G.W. Bush

People who voted for Obama

people who watch Rush, Glen Beck, and O'Rielley

people who watch Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow

people who love carnival and hate RCI

people who love RCI and hate carnival

Parents who take there (THEIR) kids in adults (adults') areas

kids that take there (THEIR) parents into kids (kids') areas

people who hate anytime dining and love set dining time

people who hate set dining and love anytime dining.

OK i (I) think (THAT) I am done and if i (I) did not include you, to (TOO) bad:D

Wow- my list of disagreeable traits in others is much shorter- I only have a problem with disgraceful spelling and grammar!

Wow- my list of disagreeable traits in others is much shorter- I only have a problem with disgraceful spelling and grammar!

Careful.... Sr5242.....Must be an English Teacher. Besides needing a disclaimer....now we all need to spellcheck......I have more room in my lifeboat, anyone want to get in ? :cool:

Careful.... Sr5242.....Must be an English Teacher. Besides needing a disclaimer....now we all need to spellcheck......I have more room in my lifeboat, anyone want to get in ? :cool:

special education teacher- actually :)

just inserting a tad bit of humor, in my own way. sarcasm does not translate well into print.

My husband & I attended our 1st M&M this past Oct, even though I had been a Member of CC for 3 years. We were in between cruises so hadn't really learned about it. We had a great group and made many new friends, including a couple from my home state of RI. The 4 of us now have become really close. We get so much enjoyment in meeting people from all over on cruises and don't let the little things bother us.

Spelling and Grammar Errors

It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people who suffer from learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies.

Spelling and Grammar Errors

It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people who suffer from learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies.

See, I will be really easy to recognize on my next cruise. I have very fat fingers and just can't type!

I always go to the Meet and Mingle; great chance to put faces to names and give personal thanks to people who have given helpful advice here on the boards. Some of the M&Ms have been relatively quiet and some have been a blast -- either way it's good. :)

I always like it when the CD attends and shares some information with the group. On our last cruise (Brilliance August) Gordon was awesome and fielded questions and provided updates to us.

Usually we do not make the informal M&Ms that have been organized on some of our Roll Calls because these are usually right after the Muster Drill and we need to get ready for dinner then.

Someday I hope to win the coveted Mouse. :o

Kathy

Always liked the meet and mingle. Its nice to meet people for sail away drinks. A social party where you can talk with other cruisers. We also arranged a cabin crawl on our last cruise and got to see some of the suites and aft cabins we have never seen before. So now we want the aft cabin now on our next cruise. We all went to breakfast together in the dining room and talked about what we did in port the day before. Even went to dinner in a meet and greet the night before the cruise. Its what ever you make of it. If you don't like it you don't have to go. It makes the cruise more enjoyable..................RADICAL

What are your thoughts ? Have some taken the CRITIC in cruise critic way overboard ? Thought this board was looking for personal views and experiences. Do we need to file a DISCLAIMER with every post ? Hope this anger will be left on shore, at this point I'm having second thoughts with the Meet & Mingle in the middle of the ocean :eek: Am I alone in this lifeboat or is anyone else on board :confused: And if I have posted this in the wrong area I'm sure I'll be set STRAIGHT ;)

This is somewhat of a dilemma for me. I am somewhat of a withdrawn person until I get to know people and I have gotten to know them. M&M are somewhat clumsy in my opinion,unless you are part of the inner circle and know or are recognized by past cruisers you can be very uncomfortable,I know I have been

IMHO a great deal depends on how active and friendly your thread is.If you feel like you a part of the group, then your impression of the M&M is dictated accordingly. I have been on both ends of the spectrum.I have never really met anyone rude. Give it a try at least once

We have met some wonder folks that have turned into great friends. We cruise with every chance we can :D. Love em.

Hey Barry...who I met through M&M! Hope all is well! Wish we were going on Oasis at the same time as y'all. Maybe another time.

Donna

Hey....what's wrong with being a pompous ditz? Are we going to start in on pompous ditzs now? What would the world be like without pompous ditzs? LOL!

Colleen

Thank you Colleen! I lauged so hard - out loud- at my desk the morning that I read that about me! I doubt that was what the poster that wrote it was hoping for but I found it hilarious!

Yes, we need more pompous ditzs in this world!

I believe the correct spelling is Pompous DitzEs.........:D

Can't resist adding my 2 cents here. I agree that M&M's vary -- just like the people who attend them! We've been to some that were so dull and others that just seemed to have the certain something that makes a good party. I think you have to take the initiative and approach others sometimes (never a problem for DH & I!!). I've never had a bad experience (or met an unpleasant person) at a M&M -- now, the CL is a different story!:p

I've mulled the thought of participating in a m&m but, some personalities have left me unsure if I should or not. I don't really party. I like having nice conversation and maybe A drink. I'm not there to wear certain items or to make sure that I'm "seen" and be a spectacle. I'm just there to chill out. Plus, I'm about half the age than the normal cruiser and I don't feel like being belittled because of my age. I just want to go and decompress. Drama is definitely not for us.

That being said, if you want to party, be seen that's your perrogative and go out and enjoy yourself!

As you can see from the responses there are all kinds at the M&M's as there are posters on the board.

I'm not particularly good at "mixers" but I normally give them a try. I've always enjoyed Roll Call conversations with other passengers on my cruise - but get a bad case of shy when the planned event draws near.

But from reading the boards - it looks like some lasting cruising friendships have been made over the years. So - go to the M&M - say hi, if you're not feeling it, all you lost is an hour of your vacation.

While I always track the roll calls for up coming cruises, I'm very selective in which M & M I'll attend. Generally the longer the cruise the more likely that I'll attend because the passengers on those sailings seem to have more in common with me as far as age, travel experience, and interests.

As you can see from the responses there are all kinds at the M&M's as there are posters on the board.

We always go to the M&M and have found them and the participants to vary from cruise to cruise. Some M&Ms have been great and some just so-so. But no-one has ever been unpleasant.

It's nice to put faces to names, but we have usually found that the people we spend most time with on board are our dinner-table companions.

Archived