Warning - cabin 7390 carnival dream

Jante

Just a friendly warning for anyone booked in cabin 7390 on Carnival Dream. I was on the inaugural cruise which was wonderful except...there seems to be a cooking exhaust venting into cabin 7390 somehow - very unpleasant cooking odor starting around 10:30AM and going all night - not very nice with the balcony door shut at night!!

When I left at the end of the cruise, they had the people from the ship builders on board, shutting down one ventilation shaft section at a time, trying to figure out what was wrong. If it were me, I'd move my cabin pronto in case they haven't figured out the trouble. If it was a hotel on land & they couldn't move me, I would have checked out after (or probably during) the first night, but since it was a 12 night Med cruise, just tried to make the best of it. Guest Services just kept offering to send housekeeping to "refresh" the cabin...hey, its an engineering problem, not housekeeping. Carnival (after much complaining) gave us a 20% credit - I thought that was not terribly adequate but didn't let it spoil our wonderful vacation

Carnival (after much complaining) gave us a 20% credit - I thought that was not terribly adequate but didn't let it spoil our wonderful vacation

Carnival gave you a 20% credit off a 14 day cruise ... Id take that for a smell I think... sorry and glad it didnt ruin the cruise for you. 20% is a big credit for Carnival.

Interesting...

I know folks say the Inaugural Cruise is like the shake down cruise and things and mal-functions will be found... but I'll bet you had a BLAST!!! I would have loved to do that!!! WOOO HOO!!!

Sorry you had a bad experience! But 20% is something... Is that off a future cruise or was that as a refund?

Wow ! I am so sorry you had to deal with the smell from cooking!!!! I know I would have been HUNGRY the entire time - LOL. I am glad they gave you some compensation and hope they get it fixed!!!!

Other than that, how was the Dream???? Many of us who are sailing on her in the future are "starved" for information!:)

I once had an apartment that shared a cook-top vent pipe with a neighbor, when on of us used the fan, the other enjoyed the odors. Belive me, just because the food smells good, doesn't mean the cooking does. I left my fan on for 6 months.

Just a friendly warning for anyone booked in cabin 7390 on Carnival Dream. I was on the inaugural cruise which was wonderful except...there seems to be a cooking exhaust venting into cabin 7390 somehow - very unpleasant cooking odor starting around 10:30AM and going all night - not very nice with the balcony door shut at night!!

When I left at the end of the cruise, they had the people from the ship builders on board, shutting down one ventilation shaft section at a time, trying to figure out what was wrong. If it were me, I'd move my cabin pronto in case they haven't figured out the trouble. If it was a hotel on land & they couldn't move me, I would have checked out after (or probably during) the first night, but since it was a 12 night Med cruise, just tried to make the best of it. Guest Services just kept offering to send housekeeping to "refresh" the cabin...hey, its an engineering problem, not housekeeping. Carnival (after much complaining) gave us a 20% credit - I thought that was not terribly adequate but didn't let it spoil our wonderful vacation

Jante

Thanks for the post. We were in 7418. The smell was horrible. It was so bad that we tried to get out of our cabin as soon as we could - bacon smell in the am, wok smell at lunch, garlic at night! Even after leaving you could still smell the odors.

We also complained but no one did anything. I'll have to contact Carnival directly on this one.

Interesting thread. Unlike the Princess ships that have the big vents/blowers in the back of the ship....these cabins are located along the port side - in what appears to be ideal locations :( I wonder if all the cabins in that general area are effected and if it is just portside?

Thanks for the heads up!

I must have been still asleep when I answered the post earlier. We were in cabin 8419, not 7418, so an entirely different floor than Jante. For our floor, it seemed like the odor started around 8300 and ended, roughly at 8441 or a little farther. If you have asthma and Carnival doesn't correct the problem before any of you who have these rooms booked cruise, good luck. I was using my inhaler ALOT. Ship was full so we were told we would just have to deal with the odor as there was nothing they could do.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know if this still is the case w/ the smell in 7390. We just booked this cabin and another across the hall. We also booked another cruise on the Freedom of the Seas. Still deciding on which cruise for a family w/ three children ages 8, 15 and 18. If the smell is still an issue then this may be the deciding factor for us.

Love this forum. I don't know what I would do without it.

Archived