Lost and Found

Shari2

Hi everyone!

Has anyone ever forgotten anything in their room on the ship and gotten it back? I left a brand new shirt jacket in my room that I just loved. Does anyone know if there is a lost and found on the ship and someone to call or e-mail who handles this? Thanks for any and all answers.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you will probably never see your lost article again. A couple of years ago, we were on Voyager of the Seas

and we were having breakfast when they called our color to disembark in

Miami. In my rush to get going, I left my jacket on the back of the chair in

the restaurant. I realized it when we were off the ship and naturally they

wouldn't let me back on to retrieve the jacket. I wrote a letter to Royal

Caribbean and they told me that anything that is left on the ship, they

give it to a local charity. At least I know that someone in the Miami area

is enjoying the use of my jacket.:rolleyes

Packing on our last night in 2002 we could not find my driver's license. I had placed it in the safe days before along with my wife's license. We arrived at Fort Lauderdale airport wondering if I would get home. After working with airport security and Ft. Lauderdale police we were able to beg and plead our way on to the plane. Since it was a return flight and I did not look to dangerous they let me on, but said I would be on my own in Atlanta for my connection. I was in luck and they did not ask for ID at the gate in Atlanta and I made it home. Three weeks later I recieved a letter from someone that stayed in the same cabin and had found my license. The funny thing was it was not the cruise right after ours, but the next. We now carry both passport and photo ID with us when we travel.

Fynn

Last June I was on the Zuiderdam and forgot to pack two whole drawers!!!!

I contacted HAL and got 90% of my stuff back. The funny thing is that I live in the Fort Lauderdale area and my clothes went to Seattle and back to me here!!!!!

HAL has a lost and found email address which I used. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Howard...sorry about your jacket!

fynnmelton...glad you got your license back!

PoohUnderstands...glad you got your clothes back.

Think I will call customer service and see if they have an e-mail address for lost and found. I'll give it a try, anyway! Thanks, again!!

Shari 2, It's always bad news when we leave something behind. I left a pair of my favorite new slacks behind at the hotel in Boston.

When it comes to cruising, being told that anything left behind will be donated to chairity is a clear declaration that they will not be responsible for items left behind or lost. Our local consignment store has the same policy for items not claimed on the specified date and then they donate the items to chairity. I'm simply positive that my cocktail dresses are not doing a whole lot to fulfill the lives of the homeless. It just makes paperwork alot easier. :rolleyes:

On a cruise, it simply tells us that they cannot be responsible for items left behind. If the item gets turned in, great, if not they are not responsible. I have read thread after thread and post after post about how fantastic our cabin stewards are and I have contributed to those posts also many times. At the same time we read about how poor, how underappreciated these nice people are by the cruiselines. Does it really not occur to anyone that these nice people are capable of pocketing the leftovers and claiming to have found nothing. I personally hired a previous Princess waiter to take charge of our diningroom. I heard many stories of how he was able to beat the system on the ship and how he was able to change diningroom tickets to get steaks for himself and his buddies. I also heard how he had called Bingo, which we all know a waiter doesn't do, and how he prepared bananas Foster which we also know only the Maite'd does. Guess what, he was fired for hitting on the underaged waitstaff even though he was hired after having married a previous passenger and having gained his citizenship while in our employment with time off. He in the meantime had two sons by this nice passenger and moved on to get a better job and get a waitress pregnant, left his wife and the two sons, and is now living with his new son and wife in an apartment in the pines. I'm guessing that's not going to be the whole goal in life except for the fact that it's now a young blond.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that his first wife had limes and the parents were taking her on a "get well cruise" and were actually thrilled that she found a friend. A great friend. She now has two children and a mother who died and finally figured out in the end that he married her for the money and the citizenship and her dying words were "I know he married her just to get the papers". True story.

People, get real. I cruised single for 15 years. These nice waiters and cabin stewards that you are all talking about, as I am now, are users. They will hit on any single woman and make her feel totally uncomfortable, the waiters will neglect to bring courses if she refuses to go out with them, the bartenders on the other hand will hand out free drinks if they think there is a chance and the cabin stewards will make lewed comments. You don't think that they speak English??? Try them when you are cruising single, and in all fairness, don't even comment unless you have cruised single. Trust me, it's not the same expierence.

It amazes me that all of you cruisers as couples in the suites think the whole cruising world is in place and you could expect nothing better. Nothing but the best service, nothing but the best cruise. Try it sometime from the other side. The rest of us just booking the normal cabins. The same goes for items missing in the cabin. Possibly we actually care about items left in the cabin be it a halter top or actually jewelry. Personally, I'm still missing my gold necklace.

Last november we were on the Lirica from Genoa to Alexandria. The second night (Naples) i forgot me glasses on the restaurant. When I went back, later in the evening, thay brought it by "lost and found" on the frontdesk. But,...unfortunately the box with lost and found was allready from board. To the headquarters (in Naples). When we came back on the 12e day, there was a note in the cabin. You understand allready, it says: "your glasses are at the frontdesk"!!

Fine service of MSC.

Henri.

Thanks Brigitte, Gitte, and Henri!

Brigitte...I understand what you're saying, as I have cruised single. It was many years ago, on Carnival, and my first cruise. I know that there are good crew people and bad, just like in the,"real," world. I have a story to tell that I don't really like to, if you know what I mean.

I am not really worried about getting back my shirt/jacket. I just thought that I would give it a try. If it truly went to someone needy, then I would be happy with that. It's nice to talk to you again.

Gitte...thank you sooo much for that information. I will give them a call.

Henri...glad you got your glasses back!

Just in case anyone wondering about that happens by this thread ... Finally misplaced something last cruise (Millennium 12/12/04). Couldn't find the Tilley sun hat. Might have left it with our tour guide in Puerto Rico ... I thought ... then realized, or I might have put it on the security conveyor belt while re-boarding in San Juan, and not picked it up! Found out that Guest Relations is lost & found, and keeps a log book of what's found and where -- sure enough, they had my hat. Had to sign for it. Very happy to find it -- it has the pins from our Cruise Critic parties on it :) -- TR

Shari2, I'm sorry. That was waaaaay more information than you asked for. :D I should have also added that on our last Zenith cruise I lost a very expensive bracelet during my daily travels thruout the ship. After retracing my whole afternoon I went to Guest Relations. The wonderful buffet Mgr. had turned it in. As in everything else, there is the bad and the good. :)

Trcori...I'm glad you found your hat! Thanks for the information that the Guest Relations is Lost and Found.

Brigitte...no apology needed. I know what you are saying.

Sorry about your gold necklace, but glad you got your bracelet back! I can't believe that I left the shirt/jacket on the ship. I thought I went through the cabin with a fine tooth comb before I left, but I missed it when I got home and unpacked. I think that I folded it up and put it on the top shelf where the life jackets were, because I was running out of space. Oh Well! Next time, I'll know better! :)

Brigitte,

I just wanted to let you know that I know exactly what you're saying. My friend and I have sailed together since we've been in our early twenties. We are in our early 50's now (and still the best of friends of still sailing together). As two "middle-aged women" we don't have any "issues" with any of the crew or staff now....however, I could fill a book with the stories I could tell about things that happened to us when we were two "young chicks".

Sorry for taking this thread off topic....I just wanted Brigitte to know that she's not alone in her thinking.

Shari - I hope you get your shirt back.

JCPC, You're not the one that went off topic. That was me. Thank you for saying that though. Actually if my cruising expierience had started after my husband and I married, I wouldn't know any different either. You have put me on a whole different train of thought though. How depressing that I can cruise looking my very best and no one would take a second look. :D

I was too harsh in my comments. It only takes a few to give us a wrong long lasting impression. I have also met many single ladies who were very anxious to meet a new friend on board so I guess you really can't blame the staff for not knowing who wants what. :D

Shari2, Email me anytime. Charley1@bellsouth.net. Brigitte

I once left a diamond necklace in a safe at the Westin in Boston (Coply Square) . The maid had turned it in to security and they mailed it back to me here at home in FL. I sent her a reward check. There ARE honest people out there!

Then last summer on the Century I left my glasses on the table at lunch and they disappeared forever. What would someone want with prescription eyeglasses????

Suzanne

Bisous3...

I'm glad that you got your necklace back...that was strange that your glasses never turned up. I know that there are honest people, and the maid was definitely one of them.

Thanks for all your replies, everyone!

I did call the Celebrity Lost and Found number, and the gal I talked to said that Celebrity does give any loose items of clothing that are left behind to charity. Thanks, again!

• 4 weeks later...

I too lost personal items left in a cabin. The response from customer service was they were probably thrown out.

With so much money being spent by the public on cruises you would think the corporations would have more compassion and strive to return personal items left behind, especially those in cabins which are owner identifiable.

When everyone stands so proud at the staff presentations, this is a slur to the housekeeping dept. They and corporate can't be happy about these posts.

Where is the pride!

Late last night I received a call that my belongings were found and are being returned to me.

This definitely restores my confidence in the quality of the cruise line.

Next time(hopefully there won't be one, LOL) I will have more patience and wait a little longer regardless of the message

I am given by customer service.:D

cruisinlivin...glad you got your belongings and that the cruise line came through for you!!

Update on my shirt-jacket...I didn't get the original one, but found another one(exactly the same) on sale at the place where I got the last one for only $14.94 instead of the original price of $50, so, I was very fortunate!

• 4 months later...
Just in case anyone wondering about that happens by this thread ... Finally misplaced something last cruise (Millennium 12/12/04). Couldn't find the Tilley sun hat. Might have left it with our tour guide in Puerto Rico ... I thought ... then realized, or I might have put it on the security conveyor belt while re-boarding in San Juan, and not picked it up! Found out that Guest Relations is lost & found, and keeps a log book of what's found and where -- sure enough, they had my hat. Had to sign for it. Very happy to find it -- it has the pins from our Cruise Critic parties on it :) -- TR

Hi TR!

Odd to dredge this thread up so long after it was posted... I was searching for references to "Tilley". :) I just got my first Tilley hat, a very late birthday present, had to wait until the local store (had gift cards from there) got them back in stock for the spring, then it turned out my fat head wouldn't fit into any of them they had in stock... but with Tilley's incredible customer service, I just mailed them the one that I bought, and the sent me the correct size right back!

Really cool hats! I can see how you would be very upset at the thought of losing one!

Now I need to book a cruise so I have somewhere to wear it! ;)

Theron

We did something really stupid when we returned from our Zenith cruise on June 4th. We had four pieces of luggage - two large bags and two carry-ons. When we were off the ship and meeting the limo, the driver and I put the two large bags and ONE carry-on in the trunk. We were in such a rush that we didn't realize that we left one carry-on (containing our digital camera, perscription glasses, wife's make-up, etc. - $1000 worth of "stuff") next to the limo. It wasn't until we were home an hour that we realized that a piece of our luggage was missing. Of course, we "freaked"; I called Celebrity for a lost-and-found number at Cape Liberty. Apparently there was none. Fortunately, we live only about an hour from Bayonne. I drove back to Cape Liberty and arrived at 3:00 PM, before the Zenith left. There were very few people around except the baggage handlers.

I parked the car just where the limo picked us up. I described the carry-on bag (small, black American Touristor); the baggage guy smiled and knew what bag I was talking about. He mentioned that the police had dogs sniffing it and the security took it inside to lost and found. I was obviously greatly relieved. Security took me bag inside, past the checkpoints to lost and found. I saw the bag immediately. There were about 20 other bags sitting there (some with the Celebrity tags attached).

We were thrilled to get our bag back; I was impressed with the honesty and concern shown by the Cape Liberty staff.

Rick

Norwegian Dawn June 1, 2003

Norwegian Dawn May 23, 2004

Celebrity Zenith May 28, 2005

Archived