Answer to "Why Duct-Tape"

BroncosFan2010

I've been cruising since 1974 and I've never taken duck tape on a cruise. In thirty-five years, I've never needed it and I have feeling that if I ever do . . . it won't be the end of the world if I don't have it. What is duck tape anyway . . . isn't it that black tape people use for electric cords?

The black stuff is electrical tape. DD was in the colorguard and had to buy black, white, red eletrical tape for the rifle. Black is the cheapest to buy, btw. This won't hold a suitcase together.

Duck brand Duct tape is the silver stuff. I beleive it was originally used to tape holes in air conditioning ducts. Though now it comes in brights, neons

and primary colors. There is a whole rack of it at our local Michael's.

http://duckproducts.com/products/subcategory.asp?CatID=1&SubID=1

Some friends of ours broke the cover of the battery compartment on their camera on a recent cruise and could have used some duct tape...but I probably still wouldn't pack any.

That would have been annoying! I use my camera so much on cruises!

My thoughts are that so many people bring duct tape, I am sure I would be able to find someone who had it and would be willing to help me out. That is what Cruise Critic Friends are for!

The show MythBusters on Discovery Channel is doing a special on Duct Tape Wednesday night. I believe they will be building a boat.

Perhaps it will answer the million questions about why you should bring duct tape on a cruise! LOL

Too funny!

Once, my hang up bag arrived with a big rip. I could have used some duct tape that time-I had to buy a new hang up bag in port. I did not have a lot of choices.

I always travel with a yard or two of duct tape. No need to do anything fancy with it or buy an expensive travel-size amount. Just fold a 3-4 inch section onto itself, sticky sides together, and start wrapping a flat 'roll'. I've even hemmed dress slacks with it after an unfortunate stiletto-meets-hem-seam incident.

I figure if I really need duct tape, the maintenence dept on the ship will have some....I'm not adding to my weight limit with stuff that I most likely won't need!

Totally agree CB. I put that with my list of power strips, flashlights, lysol/chlorox wipes, alarm clocks, walkie talkies, over the door shoe hangers, etc. of things NOT to be bring.

To some that mentioned they needed something in a hotel, when I travelled weekly I found hotel staff to more than accomodating so it doesn't take a lot of trouble to get something done/taken care of. Hotel housekeeping is certainly not a place to start for favors. Think about it, their job is to clean rooms, not repair them so why would they have anything?

If I truly need something, someone will have it or I can buy it.

I finally got to watch the episode of Mythbusters about the duct tape, and here are the results:

You can build a canon out of Duct Tape--- Might come in handy if you need to protect the ship against pirates!

You can repair a hole in the ship with Duct Tape-- Might come in handy if your ship is hit by another rival cruise line ship!

You can build a sail boat out of Duct Tape--- Might come in Handy if cruise ship excursions are too pricey and want to sail around the local ports! Or if you miss the ship and need to catch up at the next port!

The only time that I have used Duct-Tape on a cruise was to replace some that was already on my old back pack. I have a new bag now, still have not got it broken in properly.

I have carried a few yards rolled on a pencil stub for years everywhere I have traveled.

Have used it many times for emergency repairs, once even to attach a splint to a broken leg of fellow student while going to an Army jungle survial school in Panama. So you never know when a little might just come in handy.

[quote name='Duck Duck Cruise']Duct Tape can be used to make formal wear in case you forget to pack your Tux and fancy dress. Made entirely out of duct tape. Here's some examples:[/quote]

OMG, what did we ever do for entertainment before the Internet??? :D

.....Still not convinced to take duct tape along, though.

Archived