Currency

dan33

We always get a few of the local francs when we arrive. There is an ATM and bank open in the airport on arrival. You can also buy francs on the ship, and there's usually an ATM near the dock on various islands.

Lots of folks just use US dollars, but if you're shopping at the small markets selling handicrafts, etc., you will pay a premium for this, and some may refuse. Also the cabs prefer local currency.

It's a bit more complicated than that.

The November 7 cruise starts in FP, then continues on to three other countries/territories, each using different currencies. Aitutaki and Rarotonga utilize New Zealand dollars. Tonga has its own currency, called the Pa'anga. Fiji uses it's own Fiji dollars.

It's likely, though not guaranteed, that all will accept US dollars for most purchases that a tourist is likely to make, though one may pay more than if using local currency due to fluctuations and the inconvenience to the seller of handling foreign currency.

We're on the same cruise. At this point, I haven't decided how I'll handle the situation. Flying in to PPT on the evening of ship's departure negates the need for much local currency, and whether we will need it on Moorea and Bora Bora depends upon what, if anything, we decide to do ashore. (It's our third time there.) There are banks and ATMs on those islands, and no one needs money at the motu.

Obtaining NZ dollars was quick and easy on Aitutaki and Rarotonga when we last visited on the PG, but again, it depends upon what one plans to do ashore as to whether one needs local currency at all.

For Tonga and Fiji, I may just take Scarlett O'Hara's advice and think about it tomorrow.

The last time I was in FP Fiji and Raratonga, on Asia-Pac '07 I had no problems using dollars and credit cards. The only time I had to use PF francs was in the local bus "Le Truck" Having said this, you do pay a little bit more with dollars as the locals tend to use a bit higher exchange rate, but usully it is not worth the bother.

J

Archived