How cruising has improved over the years

Bridge Maven

There have been many posts about how cruising isn't what it use to be, but I think that even though some aspects of cruising have slipped over the years, in other ways they have improved.

Cabins are more spacious

It is easier to book a cabin with a private balcony

There are more dining options.

Itineraries are more interesting.

They are more family oriented

Passenger base is more diverse

One thing that I really hated was that passengers did not know in advance what tours would be availble for their cruise. Only after boarding did you find a "tours menu" in your cabin. Then to actually book a tour(s), you had to go stand in line (long lines) to purchase your tours. A real mess and one of the worst experiences of the entire cruise.

Now tour purchases are all electronic, either months in advance or on your interactive TV set.

When we started cruising - the only private verandas were in the suites - way out of our league - even today.

But we can book our own today - and the price is right.

Our first cruise was Alaska - and then Panama Canal, but we have branched out to TransAtlantics, and the opportunity to drive to our home port - Baltimore. The port of Baltimore is certainly better than the old Dundalk terminal.

We still like the smaller ships - so are not completely enchanted with the new floating cities. Not everything today is better. :p

How about pricing? You use to have no choice but to go to a TA and let them find a cruise and price for you. No way to really compare pricing, short of TA shopping, so it was basially take it or leave it.

I think this is going to become a long thread!;)

Guest maddycat

I appreciate the large two and three level dining rooms. It feels so open. I love the many different food stations in the buffet. When we first started cruising the ships didn't have stabilizers. The sailing is much smoother now. The beds and linens are much improved also.

I appreciate the large two and three level dining rooms. It feels so open. I love the many different food stations in the buffet. When we first started cruising the ships didn't have stabilizers. The sailing is much smoother now. The beds and linens are much improved also.

When did you start to cruise? Our first cruise was on Leonardo da Vinci, which was built in 1960, and that ship had stabilizers.

How about pricing? You use to have no choice but to go to a TA and let them find a cruise and price for you. No way to really compare pricing, short of TA shopping, so it was basially take it or leave it.

I think this is going to become a long thread!;)

I agree and you were also at the mercy of a travel agent to know what your cruising options were.

Great thread!!

One thing we have found is that our present day cruises cost less per day than our 1st cruise in 1996. Also, many of the old ships had odd shaped rooms & tiny bathrooms. our 1st room had a bathroom so small if you dropped the soap, you had to get out of the shower in order to pick it up; while our daughter's room was so small that either her or her husband had to sit on the bes (or the throne) while the other dressed for dinner!

The amazing atriums! I love the huge open feeling and seeing all the levels and being able to look down and people watch. Our first cruise, you walked onto the ship and it was only the one level and the ceilings seemed so low.

There seems to be a lot more options with regards to both price points as well as destinations in the cruise industry. In the 1980's I thought cruises were for the Mexican coast (a la Love Boat) and either the Western or Eastern Caribbean. Everything else was only for the most adventurous of travelers. Now I am trying to find time to go to the Galapagos with Celebrity of all things.

We only began cruising eleven years ago, when we became full time residents of South Fort Myers Fl. Our first cruise was in a SS on the Century, which was then the signature Celebrity ship. Since that time we hve cruised HAL, Princess, Royal and Celebrity. We are elite on Celebrity and diamond on Royal. Our preferences are Celebrity M and S class, CC (C-1) or AQ. Accordingly, we have not noticed the significant changes as reported by some of you due to the fact that most of the improvements came about after we began cruising. We enjoying cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale because of its proximity to our abode.

We are both beach people; and, we spend about 100 days a year at beautiful Sanibel Island, Fl. either beaching or fishing. As a matter of fact, we will be there tomorrow, weather permitting.

With our next cruise on the Equinox, we will have cruised 20 days this year; and, we are booked for 31 days next year.

This is just a small thing, but I like being able to enter all the info online in advance and print out the xpress pass instead of wasting time sitting in the cruise terminal filling out all those forms at check-in as we used to do in the good old days.

It is sounding to me like all the good old days were not that great. I didn't start cruising until sometime around 99/00. Up until that time I had it stuck in my mind cruising was a bunch of seniors that sat wrapped up in blankets on deck loungers. (Now I have done that too).

I think the best thing for me is all the electronic processes one can do ahead of time. (Last cruise I was on board in about 15 minutes).

They other thing I have really enjoyed especially on the last cruise were the CC meetings.

The Pursers Office used to be only opened during select hours. If you needed cash, you were out of luck if they were closed and there was a mad rush the last day to get money for tips, which at that time were always given in cash. Now the office is open 24/7 and there is always someone to talk to if a problem arises.

My first cruise was in 1977 on the Fairwind. While I agree with most of what has been said about pricing and choices, there are a number of things that I regret losing. I miss the initmacy of the small ship. I miss the very high level personal service which included individually prepared special meals. ( I am now preparing myself for some flames) I miss the courteous behavior of my fellow cruises; found them to be much more respectful of others then I find today. I miss the lack of nickel and diming, never heard of a "soda card" then. The cruise industry to survive needed to make changes,some have been good, some have lessen the overall experience. I will remember the past, but embrace the present.

One of our first cruises in the early 80. , probably one of the old Carnival ships, our bathroom was so small the toilet was in the shower. You would just close the shower curtain and that was around the comode too. It was a inside cabin.

Our first cruise was on Costa Riviera over 25 years ago. The good and the different:

All meals were in the dining room and were served family style - everyone was served the same food. There were menus, but everyone got what everyone at the table ordered. For the week cruise we never had a salad - it just was not offered - ever! The only other option (aside from the daily midnight buffet) was pizza and when you ordered it, you got the whole pizza. Our waiter – Mario-constantly gave me extra servings of food because he thought I was too skinny (that was in the good old days). I would hide food under coffee cups so he would think I ate it and he had done his job!

Room was so small that I could touch all walls by standing in the middle of the room. The beds were twin and could not be put together. The closet was an alcove as you entered the room 1/2 the height of the wall and a couple of feet wide. It was covered with a curtain. Literally one could sit on the toilet and take a shower.

Only pool was aft and small. Only place to sunbath was by the pool. Skeet shooting occurred off the aft daily.

Everything was done in cash. You paid for drinks as you received them. People smoked at the dining room tables and there was no separation of smoking and non-smoking areas.

Instead of fancy private islands, there was a beach picnic in St. Maarten.

We LOVED this cruise!!

Since then, some other memories include the addition of the Lido buffet, but for a couple of years it would not be open the last day morning of the cruise - forcing everyone into the main dining room.

I remember entertainment stages that were floor level to the audience with multiple polls in the room that one would have to try to see around. The audience frequently was the entertainment.

Going down the hall to a special room to dry my hair because hairdryers would blow the ship’s circuits!

Pipes were visible in the ceiling of the cabin that water ran through - all day and night. The toilets literally would suction you to the seat if you flushed it while sitting on it.

I remember the first room we had with a TV - on the Norway. Once had a cabin where the portholes could be opened to let in the fresh air.

We have cruised through the evolution of balconies, buffets, specialty restaurants, exotic ports, longer cruises, professional entertainment, amazing pools and atriums, kids programs and tons of other changes. After 60+ cruises, we have never had a cruise we have not loved. Someone else makes my bed and cooks my meals and the hardest thing I have to do is figure out what to wear for dinner. Cruising truly is the perfect vacation.

;)

Barb

There have been many posts about how cruising isn't what it use to be, but I think that even though some aspects of cruising have slipped over the years, in other ways they have improved.

Cabins are more spacious

It is easier to book a cabin with a private balcony

There are more dining options.

Itineraries are more interesting.

They are more family oriented

Passenger base is more diverse

I started cruising 23 years ago, my DH has a couple more on me than that. I find overall things have been stable, yes the changes noted in terms of balconies and additonal dining options, but all relative to the growing of the size of the ships providing the space for all these things. The internet is not part and parcel of cruising, its a peripheral change.

I can't say I have found itineraries on mass market ships any more or less than when we started, or more or less family oriented, it all came down to who had the money to vacation at that time and who did not. It's the amenities of the ships that have been augmented IMHO to capture that family group so those with that $$$ in hand had an exciting option.

The thing that I find most different over all this time are the people. The diversity is not what I am pinpointing, its just the core of those who cruise. Sadly, I feel there has been a huge decline as a result of making it available to everyone in the world and many more berths to bring in those with less of a concern in keeping it upscale in terms of character, at least as this particular line is concerned.

But the world changed in this regard too. So we hunt and find our place to enjoy what is important to each of us, and at one time, at least when we started to cruise, that was not such a challenge.

We only began cruising eleven years ago, when we became full time residents of South Fort Myers Fl. Our first cruise was in a SS on the Century, which was then the signature Celebrity ship. Since that time we hve cruised HAL, Princess, Royal and Celebrity. We are elite on Celebrity and diamond on Royal. Our preferences are Celebrity M and S class, CC (C-1) or AQ. Accordingly, we have not noticed the significant changes as reported by some of you due to the fact that most of the improvements came about after we began cruising. We enjoying cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale because of its proximity to our abode.

We are both beach people; and, we spend about 100 days a year at beautiful Sanibel Island, Fl. either beaching or fishing. As a matter of fact, we will be there tomorrow, weather permitting.

With our next cruise on the Equinox, we will have cruised 20 days this year; and, we are booked for 31 days next year.

I think you meant that the changes came about before you started cruising?

Archived