Baggage Tag Warning

StillPooh

I didn't even notice until yesterday when we were packing to get off the Pride, but one of our checked bags had lost its original tag that I carefully printed out, taped, and zip-tied on for embarkation. What it had was a blue debarkation tag with our cabin number written on it. What appears to have happened is that the bag tag was torn off during loading. Fortunately, we had filled out the tags that slide into the pockets on the back of the bags, allowing ship employees to put our name to our cabin number and deliver the bag.

Be sure to have multiple identifiers on your bags, just in case!

I didn't even notice until yesterday when we were packing to get off the Pride, but one of our checked bags had lost its original tag that I carefully printed out, taped, and zip-tied on for embarkation. What it had was a blue debarkation tag with our cabin number written on it. What appears to have happened is that the bag tag was torn off during loading. Fortunately, we had filled out the tags that slide into the pockets on the back of the bags, allowing ship employees to put our name to our cabin number and deliver the bag.

I always put a printed tag on both handles of the suitcase as well as a sheet of paper inside with all my cruise and contact info on it.

Great idea! Better safe than lost luggage.

Here's a fail-safe method I have used. It is easy and I don't see how it would not work:

1. As you know, luggage tags are now made of the paper in your printer. When you print them, fold as indicated and then pack in your suitcase along with a roll of clear packaging tape. Buy the kind with the dispenser that has the serrated cutter teeth so you don't need to use scissors or your teeth.
  2. AFTER your flight and before handing the bags to the porter at the pier, retrieve the tags and the packaging tape.
  3. "Laminate" the folded tags with the tape. This is easy to do: lay a piece of tape a bit longer than the tag on a flat surface, sticky side up. Lay the tag on the tape, centered lenghtwise and widthwise. Lay another piece of tape sticky side down, making a sandwich.
  4. Take your laminated tag and wrap it around a sturdy handle. Use one last piece of tape to secure the loose ends together.
  5. Say bye bye to the bag, knowing that the most ruthless of bag handlers cannot remove that tag.
  6. When you get the bag safely delivered to your room, you will discover that you also cannot remove the tag. A small pair of scissors (in the checked bag of course) helps a lot here.

Good luck!

Edit - you can laminate your tags before you leave ... don't know why I did not say that first!

Here's a fail-safe method I have used. It is easy and I don't see how it would not work:

1. As you know, luggage tags are now made of the paper in your printer. When you print them, fold as indicated and then pack in your suitcase along with a roll of clear packaging tape. Buy the kind with the dispenser that has the serrated cutter teeth so you don't need to use scissors or your teeth.
  2. AFTER your flight and before handing the bags to the porter at the pier, retrieve the tags and the packaging tape.
  3. "Laminate" the folded tags with the tape. This is easy to do: lay a piece of tape a bit longer than the tag on a flat surface, sticky side up. Lay the tag on the tape, centered lenghtwise and widthwise. Lay another piece of tape sticky side down, making a sandwich.
  4. Take your laminated tag and wrap it around a sturdy handle. Use one last piece of tape to secure the loose ends together.
  5. Say bye bye to the bag, knowing that the most ruthless of bag handlers cannot remove that tag.
  6. When you get the bag safely delivered to your room, you will discover that you also cannot remove the tag. A small pair of scissors (in the checked bag of course) helps a lot here.

Good luck!

Edit - you can laminate your tags before you leave ... don't know why I did not say that first!

That's exactly what I do too! :)

I went to the craft store and got some laminate sheet that you do not have to put through any machine. I have found with some of the cheaper packing tape they tear real easy, this way by using the laminate sheets they are a thicker material then packing tape. I got 50 sheet for less then it would cost to buy the dispenser and the tape.

I did "laminate" our tags with packing tape, then secured them with zip ties after punching holes through the taped tags. I must have had a particularly determined handler, to manage to tear it off. We had to cut the others loose.

II got 50 sheet for less then it would cost to buy the dispenser and the tape.

I need to find some of that laminated sheet - it sounds handy. I guess if you already have the tape it's cheap to use it for the tags.

I have also forgot to bring tape with me, and have borrowed a stapler from the hotel front desk while checking out. Staples are probably not strong enough to withstand the worst that could happen, so tape is better.

First time cruiser here and here is what I have done?

Bought a roll of clear contact paper and printed my luggage tags,folded them and then covered them with the contact paper on both sides punched hole and put zip tie on.

Will this be okay ......I did print and contact papered a few extra's so I will also wrap handle on all luggage and include one in the outside zippered pouch just in case.

Good luck!

Us too. Works like a charm

I need to find some of that laminated sheet - it sounds handy. I guess if you already have the tape it's cheap to use it for the tags.

I have also forgot to bring tape with me, and have borrowed a stapler from the hotel front desk while checking out. Staples are probably not strong enough to withstand the worst that could happen, so tape is better.

Go to Walmart and look in the kitchen aisle where they stock the contact paper and shelf liners. Look for the clear laminating rolls. If you get the roll that has the blue print it will allow you to reposition your tags if you don't align them properly. The last time I bought a roll of it I paid something like $6 for it. I also have a thermal laminator but I preper the roll stuff for luggage tags as it keeps them flexible. I do bring a roll of packing tape to tape the ends of the tag around the handles. I need to cut them off as there is no way to tear or rip them. I'm getting ready to sail next week and we still have the Splendor tags from last cruise stuck on there :eek:

second note, when you debark, take your embark tags off. if your luggage happens to get set to the side somewhere it's too easy fopr it to get swept up and redistributed to a room. Just my thoughts, i don't know that I've ever heard of it happening, but if it had it would have happened to me.

I use card stock paper to print out my tags. I also use clear contact paper from either walmart OR the dollar store. I have then used zip ties to attach around handles. However, on this last cruise, instead of zip ties, I punched a hole thru the two ends (folded in half), and put elastic thru it and attached. It worked just as well too. (Any heavy duty yarn, etc... would also work) So far, in all of my cruises, I have not lost one tag. :) I always carry a small sewing kit in my bag so I can cut off the zip tie/elastic. (your cabin steward also can help with this). While I'm at it... for the fun of it, I design my own Carnival ship tag, using the same methods above, and attach it to my suitcases as well! Have received many compliments on the different designs. This always gets me in the 'cruisin' mode too! :D

Bought a roll of clear contact paper and printed my luggage tags,folded them and then covered them with the contact paper on both sides punched hole and put zip tie on.

Will this be okay ......I did print and contact papered a few extra's so I will also wrap handle on all luggage and include one in the outside zippered pouch just in case.

just noticed that you are on the same sailing as us. please join our rollcall and if i overlooked your prevois posts, i'm sorry. looks like we are in for a fun cruise!!!:D

I need to find some of that laminated sheet - it sounds handy................

Salty dingo,

We got ours at WalMart in the back to school section as I recall. It works GREAT! I use a hole punch that I also carry with me to punch our S&S cards when we get them. I also use heavy duty wire zip ties that will not break or unzip. We pack a pair of scissors in an outside pocket of our checked luggage to remove the zip ties.

Our luggage tags will still be around when nothing is left but roaches. :D

Why zip tie it on? That is just begging it to get ripped off. Wrap it around the handle or handles and tape or staple. Job done and they are not coming off.
Why do it like that? Because people here said to. :rolleyes:

I did wrap it around the handles, but to attach it, I punched a hole through the (coated in clear packing tape) paper tags and used a zip tie to attach them to said handle. Taping or stapling it would not have guaranteed it would not get pulled off. My point simply was, have a damn backup. :rolleyes:

This is what I did, and none of our bags (including the one with the printed bag tag) got lost. :cool:

second note, when you debark, take your embark tags off. if your luggage happens to get set to the side somewhere it's too easy fopr it to get swept up and redistributed to a room. Just my thoughts, i don't know that I've ever heard of it happening, but if it had it would have happened to me.
They did tell us at the debark lecture to remove our old tags and use theirs if we were doing general (rather than self) debarkation.

Aside from attaching 2 Carnival tags on each handle......we also have nice permanent leather luggage tags on each piece with our names and phone numbers on them........these have never come off in 10 years of traveling .......so they can identify us by our names.......

I like the Staples method, they use heavy duty lamination on the tags. But this time around I think I'll go to Michaels's and get the lamination sheets and do it myself. I carry a folder with all my cruise/travel info and I just stick the tags into the folder where they are ready to go onto the luggage before we arrive at the pier.

I hate to be a spoiler, but for the price we pay to crusie, the crusie lines should use something similar to what the airlines use, and not leave it up to us to devise a way to stick the tags on.

The next thing you know, Carnival will be charging us extra for each piece of luggage. I just think the whole idea of us having to make and put our own tags on is ridiculous. Sorry. I'm done for now.

I hate to be a spoiler, but for the price we pay to crusie, the crusie lines should use something similar to what the airlines use, and not leave it up to us to devise a way to stick the tags on.

The next thing you know, Carnival will be charging us extra for each piece of luggage. I just think the whole idea of us having to make and put our own tags on is ridiculous. Sorry. I'm done for now.

I agree!

You don't need to devise anything. The porters all have tags that they will apply to your bags but a lot of people on here seem to like making their own.

You don't need to devise anything. The porters all have tags that they will apply to your bags but a lot of people on here seem to like making their own.

Can you imagine if everyone had the porters do this at each port..........it is bad enough a few are in the way as it is now........

Archived