Baggage Tag Warning

StillPooh

It took us less than a minute. :confused:

Times 3,000 people:confused:

Last time we sailed out of the San Diego port there was a large group in front of us and everyone in there group was filling out the tags:rolleyes: People that came prepared were backed up just to drop off their luggage........

Times 3,000 people:confused:

Last time we sailed out of the San Diego port there was a large group in front of us and everyone in there group was filling out the tags:rolleyes: People that came prepared were backed up just to drop off their luggage........

BTW I don't print out my airline luggage tags either. :eek:

You don't need to devise anything. The porters all have tags that they will apply to your bags but a lot of people on here seem to like making their own.

If you want anything to be done right, you do it yourself. How many hoops do we jump through to go on a cruise? Filling out your Fun Pass info, checking daily to see if the price has dropped, checking your airline flight to see if it has changed, on and on. Personal responsibility. How many times has Carnival, airlines, shuttle service, porter's, dropped the ball somewhere?

/just saying

P.S. On our last cruise on the Spirit, no additional tags were placed on our luggage. We walked right up to the Porter and they loaded our luggage right onto the cart. Others were scrambling for luggage tags--standing in the rain! We skated on through.

All our bags, in conformity with policies of most transportation companies, have permanent identification tags attached.

I fold the Carnival baggage tags as per the instructions. Three layers of paper are incredibly strong, much stronger than the little piece of string or elastic on the traditional tags. In addition, I reinforce all the Carnival tags with clear packing tape before looping them around the handle. I then wrap the tags with packing tape. These are tough and will not come off except by direct physical assault.

Two tags go on the outside of each checked bag as all of ours have at least two handles. In addition, I print several extra tags and fill out and place one inside each bag. It costs only pennies to do this and it is a sensible precaution.

Doc

If you want anything to be done right, you do it yourself. How many hoops do we jump through to go on a cruise? Filling out your Fun Pass info, checking daily to see if the price has dropped, checking your airline flight to see if it has changed, on and on. Personal responsibility. How many times has Carnival, airlines, shuttle service, porter's, dropped the ball somewhere?

/just saying

Writing your last name and room number on a tag is really that difficult? The porter amazingly did this without a mistake!

All our bags, in conformity with policies of most transportation companies, have permanent identification tags attached.

I fold the Carnival baggage tags as per the instructions. Three layers of paper are incredibly strong, much stronger than the little piece of string or elastic on the traditional tags. In addition, I reinforce all the Carnival tags with clear packing tape before looping them around the handle. I then wrap the tags with packing tape. These are tough and will not come off except by direct physical assault.

Two tags go on the outside of each checked bag as all of ours have at least two handles. In addition, I print several extra tags and fill out and place one inside each bag. It costs only pennies to do this and it is a sensible precaution.

Doc

That's about it. I even use plain, old, clear tape. Don't even use packing tape. How anyone can say that packing tape isn't strong enough, I really don't know. Nothing needed to attach the tag(s) other than the tape.

Really. It works.

I don't know why people go to all the effort and expense of this other stuff unless they've tried the simple method and found that it doesn't work! Don't assume you need to do all this stuff just because it is a paper tag. No punching holes. No affixing the tag with yarn or zipties or rubberbands! The tags do not have to be printed in color. They don't have to be printed on heavy bond or cardboard stock. They don't have to be laminated.

Once again, let me repeat what I was told by two different shuttle drivers...

PLEASE do NOT staple the tags on! The staples often don't clamp down tightly and they can easily impale whomever is handling your bag, even if they are wearing gloves. Don't do anything to injure or anger your baggage handlers!

And I also have "regular" luggage tags on my bags with my name and address.

I hate to be a spoiler, but for the price we pay to crusie, the crusie lines should use something similar to what the airlines use, and not leave it up to us to devise a way to stick the tags on.

The next thing you know, Carnival will be charging us extra for each piece of luggage. I just think the whole idea of us having to make and put our own tags on is ridiculous. Sorry. I'm done for now.

I agree. Darn cutbacks but you can imagine the amount of postage they save. Something at the pier like the old ones would be more fun.

Aside from attaching 2 Carnival tags on each handle......we also have nice permanent leather luggage tags on each piece with our names and phone numbers on them........these have never come off in 10 years of traveling .......so they can identify us by our names.......

Even with the permanent leather luggage tags, using 2 Carnival tags is a good idea. On my 6/09 Pride cruise I only used one Carnival tag. It was laminated and on handle with a zip tie. Still managed to lose it and having permanent leather tag did no good. Still had to go track down lost bag at pursers desk. Lesson learned -I now use 2 Carnival tags like you do.

Aside from attaching 2 Carnival tags on each handle......we also have nice permanent leather luggage tags on each piece with our names and phone numbers on them........these have never come off in 10 years of traveling .......so they can identify us by our names.......

I also attached the 2 Carnival tags and used another tip I picked up either here or a travel website; we have a laminator at our office so I laminated a few of my business cards and attached them to the suitcases and placed one inside my bags as well.

That's about it. I even use plain, old, clear tape. Don't even use packing tape. How anyone can say that packing tape isn't strong enough, I really don't know. Nothing needed to attach the tag(s) other than the tape.

Really. It works.

I don't know why people go to all the effort and expense of this other stuff unless they've tried the simple method and found that it doesn't work! Don't assume you need to do all this stuff just because it is a paper tag. No punching holes. No affixing the tag with yarn or zipties or rubberbands! The tags do not have to be printed in color. They don't have to be printed on heavy bond or cardboard stock. They don't have to be laminated.

Once again, let me repeat what I was told by two different shuttle drivers...

PLEASE do NOT staple the tags on! The staples often don't clamp down tightly and they can easily impale whomever is handling your bag, even if they are wearing gloves. Don't do anything to injure or anger your baggage handlers!

And I also hav e "regular" luggage tags on my bags with my name and address.

I tried the tape and didn't care for it as much as I did the laminate. Sorry... For the rest of it.. as I said before, I use card stock, hole punches, and instead of zip-ties, I use elastic thread. To me, they just hold up better and look nicer. AND I enjoy doing this before my cruise! It puts me in a 'cruisin' mode! :D

I do not use staples as this can be dangerous to the porters, etc... My final thought is to each his own. I just prefer my way.

Archived