Which Train station in Naples

mondas42

Hi

I'm planning our trip on RCI for next year and we will be stopping at Naples. I want to visit Pompeii but don't want to do a ship tour and want to go it alone. I think I know which train line to catch and we were thinking of just walking to the train station. However I have conflicting reports of which station to go from. I know you can use the Central station and use the Circumvesuviana (sp) line, but can you also catch the train from the closer Stazione Ferrovia on the Corso Garibaldi.

Thanks

Martin

Hi

I'm planning our trip on RCI for next year and we will be stopping at Naples. I want to visit Pompeii but don't want to do a ship tour and want to go it alone. I think I know which train line to catch and we were thinking of just walking to the train station. However I have conflicting reports of which station to go from. I know you can use the Central station and use the Circumvesuviana (sp) line, but can you also catch the train from the closer Stazione Ferrovia on the Corso Garibaldi.

Thanks

Martin

I think there are few mix-ups:

Piazza Garibaldi is the station name of the Metro (Subway) Line 2 which is operated by the Italian Railways (Train Italia):

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=51740a77228ba110VgnVCM1000003f16f90aRCRD

It's connected to the Naples Central Station (Napoli Centrale):

http://www.grandistazioni.it/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=96d160d1be09a110VgnVCM1000003f16f90aRCRD

This is also connected to the Circumvesuviana Train Station within the same complex.

http://maps.google.it/maps?hl=it&ie=UTF8&cid=0,0,725537731125418345&fb=1&dq=Napoli+stazione+centrale&daddr=Piazza+Garibaldi+Giuseppe,+80142+Napoli+(NA)&geocode=11847861606123515373,40.852442,14.269883&z=16

If you see the map:

the "B" indicates the Central Station and a little bit South is the Cirvumvesuviana Terminal at CORSO Garibaldi.

If you walk from the Cruise Terminal it's a little closer than Central Station.

Regards,

HeinBloed

As a followup question, as I admit that I'm also a little confused as to the proper name...

In the following link:

http://servizi.vesuviana.it/orari/orarinew2/modulow3c.htm

Which is the correct station name?

Napoli -- Porta Nolana -- Corso Garibaldi

or

Napoli -- Garibaldi (Stazione Centrale F.S.)

I believe it's the former, but I can't recall exactly, and it IS confusing!

With a little further digging, I found a list of all the stops on the Circumvesuviana train from Naples to Sorrento (given in reverse order...). Stops of interest to cruisers are bolded.

1. SORRENTO
  2. SANT'AGNELLO
  3. PIANO DI SORRENTO
  4. META
  5. VICO EQUENSE - SEIANO
  6. VICO EQUENSE
  7. VICO EQUENSE - SCRAJO
  8. CASTELLAMMARE DI STABIA - POZZANO
  9. CASTELLAMMARE DI STABIA
  10. CASTELLAMMARE DI STABIA - VIA NOCERA
  11. CASTELLAMMARE DI STABIA - PIOPPAINO
  12. POMPEI - PONTE PERSICA
  13. POMPEI - MOREGINE
  14. POMPEI - SCAVI VILLA MISTERI
  15. TORRE ANNUNZIATA - OPLONTI
  16. TRECASE
  17. TORRE DEL GRECO - VIA VIULI
  18. TORRE DEL GRECO - LEOPARDI
  19. TORRE DEL GRECO - VILLA GINESTRE
  20. TORRE DEL GRECO - VIA MONACI
  21. TORRE DEL GRECO - VIA MONTE
  22. TORRE DEL GRECO - VIA SANT'ANTONIO
  23. TORRE DEL GRECO
  24. ERCOLANO - MIGLIO D'ORO
  25. ERCOLANO - SCAVI
  26. PORTICI VIA LIBERTA'
  27. PORTICI BELLAVISTA
  28. SAN GIORGIO CAVALLI DI BRONZO
  29. SAN GIORGIO
  30. NAPOLI - SANTA MARIA DEL POZZO
  31. NAPOLI - BARRA
  32. NAPOLI - SAN GIOVANNI
  33. NAPOLI - GIANTURCO
  34. NAPOLI - GARIBALDI (STAZIONE CENTRALE F.S.)
  35. NAPOLI - PORTA NOLANA - CORSO GARIBALDI

(One tip, if you are headed to Pompeii from Naples be sure to get on the train whose final destination is Sorrento, as there are several other scheduled trains with different final destinations. Only the Sorrento train stops at Pompeii, as far as I can tell.)

Which is the correct station name?

Napoli -- Porta Nolana -- Corso Garibaldi : This is the Circumvesuviana station

or

Napoli -- Garibaldi (Stazione Centrale F.S.) : This is the main train station (Napoli Centrale for the trenitalia web site)

It is confusing, I agree. I'm tempted to say something like "welcome to Italy", but the fact is I can think of examples like this right here at home. Locals know a place by one name, the official name is something else, etc.

Thanks all, I think I know where I'm going now

Martin

Can anyone tell me how far it is from the Cruise ship port to the subway station? Is it walking from port or taxi?

I think the Circumvesuviana thing mentioned here sounds like good value and only an hour from Naples to Sorrento. Looks like 7euro for the return journey unless there's a daycard that's cheaper?

It's a little over a mile from the port to the Circumvesuviana station Porta Nolana. If this link works, you can see a map here: http://www.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Molo+Angioino&daddr=corso+giuseppe+garibaldi+387,+naples,+italy&geocode=FQAlbwIdoo3ZAA%3B&hl=en&mra=ls&dirflg=w&doflg=ptm&sll=40.840129,14.258516&sspn=0.006997,0.011501&ie=UTF8&z=15

If the link doesn't work, you can build your own google map using the following:

Start: Molo Angioino, Naples, Italy

End: Corso Guiseppe Garibaldi 387, Naples, Italy

Be sure to set it for walking directions, driving directions make it much longer due to one-way street.

It's not a pretty walk - it's entirely along very busy, multiple lane streets - but it's not very long.

I think the Circumvesuviana thing mentioned here sounds like good value and only an hour from Naples to Sorrento. Looks like 7euro for the return journey unless there's a daycard that's cheaper?

There is a one day Unicocampania ticket; however, note that on weekdays it cannot be used until after 10 AM. If you board the Circumvesuviana train before 10 AM Monday-Friday you'll need to buy two one-way tickets.

For Sorrento you'll need to buy the Unicocampania Fascia 5 zone ticket.

Here is where you can read about the different tickets and fares on the official site: http://www.unicocampania.it/index.php?lang=en&center=inside&colonna=biglietti&action=1

There is a one day Unicocampania ticket; however, note that on weekdays it cannot be used until after 10 AM. If you board the Circumvesuviana train before 10 AM Monday-Friday you'll need to buy two one-way tickets.

For Sorrento you'll need to buy the Unicocampania Fascia 5 zone ticket.

Here is where you can read about the different tickets and fares on the official site: http://www.unicocampania.it/index.php?lang=en&center=inside&colonna=biglietti&action=1

Thanks for that. Just found that Unicocampania and was going to ask if that would do the job! Looks good value and i can wait until after 10. Excellent. Authentic pizza in Sorrento for my lunch and maybe a few limoncellos. :D

Can anyone tell me how far it is from the Cruise ship port to the subway station? Is it walking from port or taxi?

Rather than walking, you can exit the port, cross the main street and buy a ticket from the newstand for the #1 trolley or the #152 bus. Ticket is good on either one. A few years back, the round trip ticket was 3 Euros and the fellow at the newstand spoke some English. Cross back over half way to the bus stop, in the middle of the street, and hop on which ever comes first. Validate your ticket on board. With your back to the port the bus will be headed to the right. When the bus/trolley makes a sharp left turn, the next stop is the train station for Circumvesuviana. Buy your tickets and go downstairs to the train. It's the end of the line, so the train may actually be waiting in the station.

Rather than walking, you can exit the port, cross the main street and buy a ticket from the newstand for the #1 trolley or the #152 bus. Ticket is good on either one. A few years back, the round trip ticket was 3 Euros
One way tickets good for travel on the buses, trams and metro within Naples are 1,10 Euro and are good for 90 minutes

UNA_14.jpg

Full day passes are 3,10 Euro and are good until midnight of the day stamped:

UNA_15.jpg

One way tickets good for travel on the buses, trams and metro within Naples are 1,10 Euro and are good for 90 minutes

UNA_14.jpg

Full day passes are 3,10 Euro and are good until midnight of the day stamped:

UNA_15.jpg

But i thought the Unicocampania ticket that i need to get to Sorrento would also give free travel for that day on any bus/trolley service?

The daily ticket is good all day within the city of Naples, the hourly is good for one trip within Naples (see below). The tickets posted above were in response to a question about within Naples fares. For Sorrento you need the five zone Unicocampania U:

From their website:

UNICOCAMPANIA U is the fare that allows to move from Napoli and to Napoli from all the towns in Campania region and also with interchange in Napoli. Particularly, the regional territory has been divided in 11 fare zones.

Several kinds of tickets and passes are available to meet customers' needs: hourly, daily and weekend daily tickets or monthly and annual passes.

Unicocampania fascia 5 allows visitors to travel in the following municipalities: Aiello del Sabato, Alvignano, Amalfi, Amorosi, Atrani, Atripalda, Avellino, Baronissi, Bonea, Bracigliano, Bucciano, Caiazzo, Calvi Risorta, Capriglia Irpina, Carinola, Castel Di Sasso, Cava De' Tirreni, Cervinara, Cesinali, Cetara, Conca Dei Marini, Contrada, Falciano del Massico, Fisciano, Forino, Formicola, Francolise, Frasso Telesino, Furore, Giano Vetusto, Grottolella, Liberi, Limatola, Maiori, Manocalzati, Massa Lubrense, Melizzano, Mercato San Severino, Mercogliano, Minori, Moiano, Mondragone, Monteforte Irpino, Montefredane, Montesarchio, Montoro Inferiore, Moschiano, Ospedaletto D'Alpinolo, Pannarano, Paolisi, Pastorano, Pellezzano, Piana di Monte Verna, Pignataro, Pontecagnano Faiano, Pontelatone, Positano, Praiano, Prata di Principato Ultra, Pratola Serra, Puglianello, Quindici, Ravello, Rocchetta e Croce, Rotondi, Ruviano, Salerno, San Mango Piemonte, San Martino Valle Caudina, San Salvatore Telesino, Sant’Agnello, Scala, Sorrento, Sparanise, Summonte, Tramonti, Vietri sul Mare

Hourly Ticket: € 3.30

U5_192.jpg This ticket is valid for 180’ minutes from the first validation.

It must be stamped at the beginning of the journey from a town in fare zone 5 to Naples or vice versa.

It can be used for a single trip on each railway service by the Consortium companies. On Metronapoli services, it allows you one trip: on the Funicular of Mergellina, on one of the other three Funiculars and on each underground line.

Daily Ticket: € 6.60

U5_193.jpg Valid from 10 a.m. to midnight of the day of validation.

It must be stamped at the beginning of the journey from a town in fare zone 5 to Naples or vice versa.

It allows to use public transport service in Naples and its suburban services by the Consortium companies.

The owner must fill in the appropriate blanks with his/her name and date of birth. He/she must also show an ID when requested. If this information is not provided or if he/she does not show a valid ID, the passenger will be considered to be without a ticket.

Weekend daily ticket: € 5.30

OK, I'm trying not to be thick here but I'm still confused. Do i need just the 5 zone ticket in order to:

1) get the trolley or bus from the port to the Circumvesuviana station, and

2) get the Circumvesuviana to Sorrento.

Or will i need to buy the Unico Napoli tickets for the initial trip from port to station too?

You're not being thick, it is confusing!

Technically, you only need the 5 zone Unicocampania U for travel BOTH within Naples and between Naples and Sorrento (or any other of the towns on the list several posts above).

Practically, however, it's doubtful that you'll be able to buy the 5 zone ticket before you get to the Circumvesuviana station. The newsstands typically only carry the Napoli 90 minute and full day tickets (and sometimes not even the full day ticket - I tried two different newsstands near the port in July and both only had the 90 minute tickets).

You can try just getting on the bus or tram from the port to the Circumvesuviana station and hope that no ticket checkers get on during your short trip to the station. Or you can spend the extra 1,10 Euro and be safe and sure.

Perhaps someone else who has done this will post and tell us where they purchased their 5 zone ticket.

It takes between 20 - 30 minutes to walk from the port to the Circumvesuviana station. It's not a pretty walk as it's along multi-lane roads with dense traffic and the buildings aren't of any particular architectural interest that I've noted. However, apart from the slightly insane drivers when you cross the road, it's safe.

Try making a google map and looking at the satellite view to see the terrain.

It takes between 20 - 30 minutes to walk from the port to the Circumvesuviana station. It's not a pretty walk as it's along multi-lane roads with dense traffic and the buildings aren't of any particular architectural interest that I've noted. However, apart from the slightly insane drivers when you cross the road, it's safe.

Try making a google map and looking at the satellite view to see the terrain.

slightly? You're too kind! :D

Dan Mac: Here's a link to a site where walking directions from the port to the station are given in good detail (as well as info for getting to Pompeii by train):

http://www.europeportreviews.com/Naples5.htm

slightly? You're too kind! :D

LOL - well, I grew up and learned to drive in Northern New Jersey and Manhattan. Everything else kind of pales by comparison, including Naples, where we got in a slight accident the last time we drove there. Lots of discussion that came to nothing, in the end.

• 2 weeks later...

Dan Mac

Not sure when you are going or if this is too late for you, but thought I'd report back.

I was in Naples on Monday (26th October 2009) and the newstand straight opposite the port entrance now sells the Unicocampania tickets. We were able to buy them and used them for the full day. As mentioned elsewhere, use the 152 bus or number 1 tram & take the train from the first station..Porta Nolana......the first stop after the bus turns left. Very easy...enjoy.

Archived