Grits??

rslex

Having lived for several years in the south, I certainly know (but don't care for) grits. For some reason, though, whenever anyone mentions them I think of that funny line in "My Cousin Vinny" when Joe Pesci is in the diner and asks the cook, "What's a grit?" Cracks me up every time!

GIRLS RAISED IN THE SOUTH

Southern girls know bad manners when they see them:

Drinking straight out of a can.

Not sending thank you notes.

Velvet after February.

White shoes before Easter or after Labor Day.

Southern girls appreciate their natural assets:

Dewy skin.

A winning smile.

That unforgettable, Southern drawl.

Southern girls know their manners:

"Yes, ma'am."

"Yes, sir."

Southern girls have a distinct way with fond expressions:

"Y'all come back!"

"Well, bless your heart."

"Drop by when you can."

"How's your mother?"

"Love your hair."

Southern girls don't sweat....they glisten.

Southern girls know their summer weather report:

Humidity

Humidity

Humidity

Southern girls know their three R's:

Rich

Richer

Richest

Southern girls know their vacation spots:

The Beach

The Beach

The Beach

Southern girls know the joys of June, July, and August:

Summer tans

Wide brimmed hats

Southern girls know everybody's first name:

Honey

Darlin'

Sugah

Southern girls know the movies that speak to their hearts:

Gone With the Wind

Fried Green Tomatoes

Driving Miss Daisy

Steel Magnolias

Southern girls know their religions:

Baptist

Methodist

Football

Southern girls know their country breakfasts:

Red-eye gravy

GRITS

Country ham

Mouth-watering homemade biscuits

Southern girls know their cities dripping with Southern charm:

Richmond

Nashville

Savannah

Birmingham

Nawlins'

Southern girls know their elegant gentlemen:

Men in uniform.

Men in tuxedos.

Rhett Butler, of course.

Y'all know Southern girls are quick on the drawl.

Southern girls know their prime real estate:

The Mall

The Beauty Salon

Southern girls know the three deadly sins:

Bad hair

Bad manners

Bad blind dates

Southern girls know men may come and go, but friends are fo'evah!

Now you run along, Sugah, and send this to some other Girls Raised In The South, i.e., Southern Belles.

Or to some of yo Yankee Girlfriends to make them green with envy!

And don't ya'll northerners forget it :D

:p :D :rolleyes:

Being from Georgia, I can tell you that grits are available most mornings at the buffet. However, they are not very good. :( Kind of gluey. My DS loves grits and he won't eat these.....

My favorite grits additions: cheddar cheese and jalapenos OR cheddar cheese and bacon

I have been told by many that grits are South Georgia ice cream!!??;)

Glenn:cool:

I had a girlfriend that traveled to Boston several times for business. She was sitting having dinner in the hotel restaurant and this man approached her and asked her to say something for him. Puzzled, she said okay as long as it's not crude. He wanted her to say:

I rely strongly on the kindness of strangers

They dated for years after that. Her southern drawl just melted him.

Vinny Gambini: Oh, oh, oh, you tesitfied earlier that you saw the boys go into the store, and you had just begun to cook your breakfast and you were just getting ready to eat when you heard the shot.

Mr. Tipton: That's right.

Vinny Gambini: So obviously it takes you 5 minutes to cook your breakfast.

Mr. Tipton: That's right.

Vinny Gambini: That's right, so you knew that. You remember what you had?

Mr. Tipton: Eggs and grits.

Vinny Gambini: Eggs and grits. I like grits, too. How do you cook your grits? Do you like them regular, creamy or al dente?

Mr. Tipton: Just regular I guess.

Vinny Gambini: Regular. Instant grits?

Mr. Tipton: No self respectin' Southerner uses instant grits. I take pride in my grits.

'Nuff said.

Oh you're so right, and I'm embarassed that I've been found out:eek:. I do think of myself a a self respectin' Southerner, but the instant ones come in so handy when the grandkids are over and want breakfast early!:o

You are sooo right Hoon!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsrunyan viewpost.gif

I have been told by many that grits are South Georgia ice cream!!??;)

Glenn:cool:

I've never heard that. Not even grits can compare to ice cream....homemade, hand churned, peach or strawberry.

Can I get a amen to that.

Grab a cereal bowl, deposit 2 or 3 of the foil wrapped butters (after removing foil). Crumble in 3 or 4 of those little cheddar cheese triangles. Crumble in 2 or 3 pieces of bacon (this may be difficult due to the rubbery texture sometimes encountered). Finally pour the grits over the assembled ingredients, stir vigorously, and enjoy! Mmmmm...

All kidding aside, isn't it great that Princess looks out for all of us, especially when it comes to breakfast? Have ever noticed the diversity of foods on the breakfast buffet? From lox and capers to won ton soups, beans etc., they really do try to appeal to people from many different cultures.

Thank you Princess!

Cruz, it is a grand thing. I tried things on our last cruise that I had never had before.

How about 2 pieces of toast, one fried egg still a little runny, couple pieces of bacon and grits piled high made into a sandwich......mmmm.

And I do make the instant grits at work. Add a little salt and pepper to the butter flavored grits and they are good.

Hoon, I copied your post about GRITS. Had to send it to a southern friend.

I may have to try that sandwich mentioned above. Just one question... how do you pick it up? ;):D

BTW, so y'all don't have trouble finding Grits look for the name GRITZ cuz that's how I've seen it spelled.

For some reason I didn't have the heart to tell the cooks on the Crown it was wrong. :p

• 2 weeks later...
Grab a cereal bowl, deposit 2 or 3 of the foil wrapped butters (after removing foil). Crumble in 3 or 4 of those little cheddar cheese triangles. Crumble in 2 or 3 pieces of bacon (this may be difficult due to the rubbery texture sometimes encountered). Finally pour the grits over the assembled ingredients, stir vigorously, and enjoy! Mmmmm...

So THAT'S where I've been going wrong......

They had grits in the Horizon Court on the Coral in Oct.. But they were no where as good as the grits you can get in say ........a Cracker Barrel or a Waffle House ...... in Alabama or Tennessee or Mississippi or Georgia etc.

:cool: I can tell you know where to find them prepared correctly.:D

Mike:)

Yes, I'm tellin' ya'll... like many foods, it's a regional thing.

Some knows hows ta do it right.

And, it's not just grits either....

I live in TN.... Last time we went to Florida, we stopped in Cracker Barrels a couple of times in Alabama on the way there and back. OMG, they know how to make the biscuits!!!!!! They were AMAZING!

I have been wanting to write Cracker Barrel Corporate and tell them that need to have biscuit training sessions run by those Alabama biscuit makers... mandatory for all Cracker Barrell stores, everywhere!

at breakfast they have "Birchers Muselli?" it's like a warm farina with raisins, nuts, cinnamin, etc. I must have had three bowls the first morning of my last cruise...seems like I have to book a cruise to find this.

It's Burcher muesli. I've never seen it in a store, because it's something you make (I suppose someone somewhere probably has a packaged mix, but I don't know why...it's so simple to make). For muesli (not necessarily Burcher...I don't know what it takes to make it Burcher), you basically take oatmeal, let it soak in orange or apple juice overnight, add nuts, dried fruit, yogurt,...whatever you want to it. Here are a couple of links:

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=466686

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070618004338AAscfI9

and on Wikipedia, they talk about boxed mixes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muesli

I love it, and am thrilled whenever I find it on vacation (as I rarely think about getting breakfast ready the night before). I was amazed that on our trip to China it was included in many of our breakfast buffets.

Archived