Grocery store question.........

4nzic1

Hi All,

In 22 days I will be sailing on Miracle. Yippeeeeee!!!!!!!! The night before the cruise I will be flying in from S. California and staying at the Best Western Oceanside Inn Ft. Lauderdale. Does anyone know if there is a grocery store, 7-11, or WalGreens/Rite Aid/CVS nearby where I may buy some essentials like 6 pk gingerale and other snacks prior to the cruise? I have wheat and yeast allergies so I'm limited to basically salads, rice, fruit (I ate so many pineapples that to this day I can't even look at a pineapple), potatoes, meat and fish. This time I want to be more prepared. I'm already packing some dry goods (rice pasta) and some wheat free cookies/snack cakes and bread to somewhat be able to eat normal stuff like sandwiches. But due to airline rules/luggage limits (i refuse to pay $30 for two bags so I'm only doing one check in), I decided to wait until I got to ft lauderdale to pick up some regular snacks like potato chips , soda etc. Anyone have any store recommendations?

thanks in advance

Some in our group had the taxi stop at the Walgrens near the port.

Is the walgreens close enough to the port that perhaps I can check into my cabin and then go back off the ship? I'll still be by myself at this point and I'm still recovering from a disclocated shoulder (fell down a flight of stairs at my house on my 40th bday and 1 yr anniversary in new home dinner this past August....no, I wasn't drinking but when that shoulder popped out, I wish I had been ; ) and just had a thought that perhaps it would be easier to do the grocery shopping after I've dropped off my luggage rather than try to juggle backpack, rolling pack, and the duffle i'm packing to take take on the newly purchased snacks. Your thoughts?

Not very easily. Its kind of a big port and you have to go thru booths, kinda checkpoints. Not that easy just to drive to where your ship leaves from, let alone walk in and out, at least to me. ... and I walk out of Galveston port several times, but not out of Ft. Lauderdale port.

Have you contacted Carnival about your special diet. They will work with you on it, I would give them a call as well. Another thing you could do is just have the taxi driver wait while you run into the store, or after you check into your motel room, take a cab to the store, when you are finished call a cab to take you back to your motel.

Hi All,

In 22 days I will be sailing on Miracle. Yippeeeeee!!!!!!!! The night before the cruise I will be flying in from S. California and staying at the Best Western Oceanside Inn Ft. Lauderdale. Does anyone know if there is a grocery store, 7-11, or WalGreens/Rite Aid/CVS nearby where I may buy some essentials like 6 pk gingerale and other snacks prior to the cruise? I have wheat and yeast allergies so I'm limited to basically salads, rice, fruit (I ate so many pineapples that to this day I can't even look at a pineapple), potatoes, meat and fish. This time I want to be more prepared. I'm already packing some dry goods (rice pasta) and some wheat free cookies/snack cakes and bread to somewhat be able to eat normal stuff like sandwiches. But due to airline rules/luggage limits (i refuse to pay $30 for two bags so I'm only doing one check in), I decided to wait until I got to ft lauderdale to pick up some regular snacks like potato chips , soda etc. Anyone have any store recommendations?

thanks in advance

There is a Publix supermarket on SE 17th St. It is just west of the 17th St. Causeway bridge, about a mile or two west of your hotel. Any cab will take you there. There is also a Walgreens at the corner of Eisenhower and SE 17th St. But, if it were me, I'd go to the Publix, it's only a couple of blocks further.

Thanks again firefly. ; ) I live near the ports of Los angeles and San Diego and like you in Galveston can easily go off and on : ) After your reply last night I mapped walgreens and 7-11 and they are less than two miles from my hotel. So since I get into ffl 5pm the day before the cruise, I'll get up early before ckout and make a store run. : )

Thanks. : ) I mentioned the wheat and yeast allergies to my TA this time and she said she'd contact Carnival. I guess I will put a call in today (cruise leaves nov 4) to Carnival to confirm. When I cruised last nov I totally forgot all about my allergies because I'd been using my timeshare the previous two years and have access to stores. It wasn't until my friends and I were getting ready for dinner when I realized 'oh, snap I forgot about my allergies'. LOL I do have reactions and discomfort when I come in contact with the two (wheat and yeast) but I'm just glad my allergies aren't extreme/at the celiacs level so I count my blessings. But I wonder how much Carnival would do for me? Do they do for the wheat/gluten challenged like they do for those allergic to peanuts? : ) Thanks again for the tip(s).

Archived