P&O shuttles at Civitavecchia & Livorno

tom_uk

Was at Civitavecchia last week on Arcadia. The courtesy bus drops you at the dock gates which is very close to the ship.

We did Rome on our own - Station is just a five/ten minute walk to the right outside the dock gates.

Lots of trains to Rome - 9 euros return p.p. which includes the metro and buses in Rome - journey time from 50 mins (express) to 1.20hrs (regional).

The shuttle in Livorno drops you off in the town which is a long way from the railway station. However, just across the road from where you get dropped off is a tobaconist shop that sells bus tickets and train tickets. There is a sign outside advertising train tickets to Pisa and Florence and they speak English. They will tell you where to get the bus to the train station. (think it was no 1). The cost to Pisa for two of us was around €8 for bus and train tickets.

Brian

Just come back from doing these ports on Celebrity Summit and they both dropped at the Dock Gates - which if fine for train to Rome but not so good for train to Florence as it is still a taxi ride away to the station.

If you do Rome by train and you want the vatican then there is a seperate station for the vatican that will save going into Termini and back out and also remember to get your BIRG tickets for all train, metro and buses for 9 euro - great value. There is a train around 7.30am that will get you the vatican as it opens at 0830 and beat the queues.

I would recommend Rome by train but would not do Florence again as it was a lot more awkward due to station location in Livorno and it costs more. I would pay the extra and do the 'on your own' tour for Florence.

Thanks for the info, everybody. I have in fact been to Rome and Livorno on cruises (well, I've started & finished cruises at Rome, and visited Livorno) so I'm familiar with the what you have to do there. We got back to Fiumicino airport after one cruise by train from Civitavecchia, and we also went to Pisa by train from Livorno. However these cruises were on Celebrity, not P&O, and Celebrity are well know for charging the earth for their shuttles - we recently paid $10 each for shuttles from Tourlas harbour into Mykonos town - all of two kilometers....

But thanks for the information: at Civitavecchia the shuttle is just to the dock gate (we know how to get to the railway station from there), and at Livorno the free shuttle is into the main square of Livorno and not out to the railway station. Ah well....

Archived