To Jancruz_ wine question

atlantic cruiser

Noticed a comment by past passenger noting carry on luggage being checked and bottles of wine being noted by staff along with label of wine bottle and cabin no. She said this was written down. She queried if they were doing this to ensure no extra wine was being brought to the same cabin no. Have you seen this done or could you shed any light on this? Would hate to think our cabins were searched when we are not in them. Can't imagine that is the case. Thought you might have an idea what is behind this. Thanks

Hi atlantic cruiser,

Let me tell you our experience on the Journey in April of this year. On boarding there was absolutely no problem (either in checked bags or carry-on ... you could bring what you liked onboard). Yes, I realise there is an official 'limit', but it was ignored. At ports, as long as your bottle of wine was in a bag (not carried in public view), it was ignored by the security staff as you returned to the ship.

That was the Journey. On the Quest, it appears to be a completely different story. The 'alchohol police' reign supreme on the Quest (we are told by friends who sail on her regularly).

There appear to be two different rules for two different ships.

Long may it continue!! I like the Journey's version of the rules better.

Hope this helps.

John

Noticed a comment by past passenger noting carry on luggage being checked and bottles of wine being noted by staff along with label of wine bottle and cabin no. She said this was written down. She queried if they were doing this to ensure no extra wine was being brought to the same cabin no. Have you seen this done or could you shed any light on this? Would hate to think our cabins were searched when we are not in them. Can't imagine that is the case. Thought you might have an idea what is behind this. Thanks

I do not believe that your cabin can be searched for wine..now I do know, if there are towels or anything else that belongs to the cruise line missing, security is able to look through your cabin for the item (items) and confiscate it..Hope this helps..

Jancruz1

A couple of years ago I read of cabins on the Explorer of the Seas (Royal Caribbean, a sister line to Azamara) being searched and any hard liquor that was found was confiscated. Taking wine would be more of a challenge since there's no way to know (without going through the wine list) whether the wine was brought on or purchased onboard. But I believe that they have the right to search your cabin for whatever contraband or stolen goods they wish, since they are a private company. I don't think they would make a habit of it, since word would get out and those of us who prefer not to have our things pawed through would likely take our business elsewhere.

We were able to bring wine onboard both Quest and Journey, two bottles each (person, not cabin) at embarkation. Quest was stricter about taking it in port, which was particularly maddening since we were in Italy.

When we were on Journey this summer, we brought on board our two bottles of wine and our Butler brought us two wine glasses - good start!

Into the cruise, one of the stops was Bordeaux and the ship organised excursions to various vineyards, but you weren't allowed to bring back on board any wine, unless you wanted it confiscated, until the end of the cruise, which I think is a bit unfair. There were very large notices as you re-entered the ship saying that you couldn't bring any alcohol back on board.

We did bring a bottle of wine on board in Vigo, packed into a little rucksack and the security person saw it on the screen and asked us to take it to the Cova Cafe for them to keep it for us until the end of the cruise. It was also noticeable that the two wine glasses brought to us at the start of the cruise were taken away!

As I have mentioned in my review, I think you should be allowed to bring on one bottle of wine, per room, from each port of call. It wouldn't hamper sales of alchohol on board, I'm sure. We always had a beer or two during the day round the pool, cocktails before dinner, wine with dinner every night and drinks in one of the bars afterwards.

Lynne :)

atlantic cruiser - I think it was my post on another thread to which you referred. Our cabin wasn't searched (as far as I know), I was just being a little facetious as in it wouldn't have surprised me if it was searched. We were on Journey which departed Barcelona 27 September 09 so it was quite recent. I don't know if this is something new that has been introduced. Perhaps later cruisers will let us know. Our butler didn't provide any wine glasses and the wine was quite openly on view. We enjoyed it anyway without the wine glasses.

My DH and I cruised on the Journey out of Barcelona early this year. We brought our 4 bottles on board, no problem.

In Sorrento I bought a bottle of Limongello and one bottle of wine.

They saw the bottles in my backpack through the xray machine.

A crew person wanted to take both bottles, I argued with her about the wine, told her I was keeping it. So she said OK, but kept the LImongello until the end of the cruise.

Other passangers brought all kinds of bottles at different times and no-one

was questioned. It's the luck of the draw.

Archived