Sunset beach resort, jamaica

brittfan

My BF and I stayed at Sunset Beach about 3 years ago for 7 days. It was wonderful. Nice beach, good drinks, average buffet food, great grill food. Probably the best part is the location. It is off by itself, away from town and crowds. Only guests are allowed on the premises. If you are there on a Tuesday or Thursday, they have local vendors come to the resort so you can do a little shopping. Very low key. Also, one part of the beach is clothing optional. It seems popular with Europeans too, so you will most likely see a few bare chested women on any part of the beach. We would go back in a heart beat.

I haven't been yet, but I hear lots of great things about it. We are going down on the Jan30 sailing of the Conquest and intend to spend the day at Sunset Beach.

If we did not go there, we'd go out to Negril at the western end of the island, away from town, but I hear that it took an awful beating in the storms and has not gotten itself back together yet.

When we were on the Conquest the first week of November, we went to Sunset Beach Resort and loved it. It's about a 3 minute taxi ride from the ship and check in is really easy. They will take your S&S card, put it in a envelope with your name on it and you claim it when you leave. So don't worry when they ask for it.

Be sure and take your insulated mug for drinks, they serve their drinks in 20 oz plastic cups, but if you have your own mug, they will fill it with whatever drink you want. They have really good food, jerk chicken, made to order burgers and hot dogs are down at the grill on the other side of the restaurant. The restaurant serves cafeteria style, they had the best pan fried fish I have had in years.

They have 3 beaches, one is topless and one is nude so be prepared.

It was fantastic . . . the best advice that I have received on this board. Everything about it was great. I wish we stayed there longer, but we decided to go shopping (I'd skip that next time!). Save some time in the late afternoon to stop by Margaritaville before you go back to the terminal.

Have a great time!!!

Lots of great things about it on the port of call board for Jamaica. Also the price is cheaper for children 10 and under (could be 12).

I just posted about a little discovery I made today. The owners of Sunset Beach Resort purchased a property in Ocho Rios which is scheduled to reopen in March. Sunset Jamaica Grande - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=117751.

Even though it won't help me (since we are going to MB) I'm just curious as to whether they are also going to be offering a day pass to cruisers. Maybe someone who is going to Sunset Beach can ask them at the MB location (since it's the same owners) and then post on the boards when they get back.

OH - and FYI - they are building a small waterpark which is suppose to be included.

Archived