Teen Group on RCI

CatNJ

We'll be on the Enchantment for our next cruise. My son will have just turned 12 and that would put him out of Adventure Ocean and into the Teen Group. I'd love to hear more about the teen groups. I posted on the RCI and received a couple of responses, but am hoping to learn more here. Honestly, I hate to admit, he's ok with it. I'm a little concerned because I'm thinking they'll be less oversight.

He won't be in with the 16-17 years olds...he'll stick with the 12-14 group...still PLENTY of oversight!

The older teens tend not to use the club and activities as much as the younger groups....they like to "do their own thing"....your son should have a great time in AO!

There will be less oversight in the 12-14YO group -- no sort of check-in/check-out, lower counselor to kid ratio, fewer organized activities (more hanging out). Pretty much what the kids will respond to.

DD is now 14YO we'll be doing our fourth cruise since she turned 12YO. We set up some firm guidelines (what behavior and what places are out of bounds, how and when she needs to check in, where we expect her to be, etc.). She has risen to the occassion and all of our cruises have been great experiences.

Now she generally meets a few kids on the first night or two. They arrange for times/places to meet. We'll accompany her to the meeting spot, the kids will make some tentative plans and share them. She knows she is not to be alone, not to go to anyone else's cabin, etc. Sometimes the kids will hang in the teen club -- watch movies, listen to music, play games -- other times they may be playing golf, some sort of ball, climbing the rock wall, etc. Some of the activities (games, music, athletic contests) are planned by the teen club, others organized by the kids. Other times they'll get permission to go to one of the cabins (single gender groups only :)) to watch a DVD. If someone has internet access, we all know where ALL of them will be!

Teen club sponsored activites will include dances, video game and board game contests; rock climbing, golf, and ball contests; there will be times when certain areas are reserved just for the kids (skating rink, athletics courts, rock climbing wall, disco, etc.) as part of the teen club activities. They may have a pool party or disco party or whatever -- most of it is just the opportunity for the kids to get together.

It is more loose. Set expectations and be certain to follow through with them. Give your kid a bit of freedom and the responsibility that goes with it. If he rises to the occassion, you may give him a bit more.

It will be a bit of a different trip for you than previous cruises, but if your kid is anything like mine, he'll be more ready for the transition than you are! Good luck and have fun.

Archived