? Re: Terrace Houses near Ephesus

It is my understanding that there is a 12- or 15-person limit per group permitted to enter the Terrace Houses, too small for many cruiselines to handle.

I want to delicately address this issue. Here is the truth! The Terrace Houses are within the ruins at Ephesus and anyone who enters the ruins can simply buy a ticket and walk through the Terrace Houses. There are some restrictions on large groups but a cruise tour could simply let their charges walk through the Terrace Houses on their own (there are detailed posted info plaques (in English) throughout the Terrace House facility. However, the large tour operators would prefer to rush folks through the ruins and get them to a jewelry factory, pottery factory,,,,etc where the tour company (and cruise line) gets a nice cut of the sales (do I sound cynical?). My point is that why even mess with the huge cruise tours (seeing Ephesus with a group of 50 is not the best of all worlds) when there are several private tour companies (such as EKOL and Hello Ephesus) that are usually cheaper than the cruise tours and more comprehensive! I will continue to be very outspoken on the issue because it is simply a crime to visit Ephesus and not go inside the Terrace House building (this area is covered by a building). Our personal guide last April (who also does cruise ship tours) said it made him sad that he could not let some of his tours go into that part of Ephesus. To deny cruise ship passengers (many who have no clue) that part of Ephesus is almost like going to Liberty Island, looking at the Statute of Liberty, and than leaving the island without every entering the structure. I suggested to a cruise director that the cruise ship tours to Ephesus should have bold print telling folks whether their tour included the Terrace Houses. But, unfortunately some tour operators (and their partner cruise lines) do not always believe in full disclosure.

Hank

Would love to hear from someone who has toured Ephesus & the Terrace Houses recently.

We toured Ephesus as part of a 14 day land trip to Turkey. We have not, however, been to the Terrace Houses (or Slope Houses) as they were not open when we were there in 2002.

From what I have read, the Terrace Houses seem to be an 'add-on' to the Ephesus tours. Do you know if it is possible to tour just the Terrace Houses and skip Ephesus? Or, is it worth it to tour Ephesus again just to get to see the Terrace Houses?

Or, do you have other suggestions for this port...In additon to a Turkish Bath...which is a must for moi! :D=quote]

I also visited Ephesus back in 2002, and again 2 weeks ago. The Terrace Houses were certainly the highlight of this trip, but there were also many areas that had been reconstructed since my visit in 2002 - so the whole experience was enhanced.

What also had changed since my trip in 2002 were the number of tourists! When I was there in April 2002 there were maybe 300 people at the site (no one was really traveling because of 9/11). This trip there were probably 3000+ people!

On a side note - I was on a private EKOL tour, with an excellent guide Inan. He purchased the Terrace House tickets for us, because my understanding it that they can only be purchased in Turkish Lira at the entrance.

I also visited Ephesus back in 2002, and again 2 weeks ago. The Terrace Houses were certainly the highlight of this trip, but there were also many areas that had been reconstructed since my visit in 2002 - so the whole experience was enhanced.

What also had changed since my trip in 2002 were the number of tourists! When I was there in April 2002 there were maybe 300 people at the site (no one was really traveling because of 9/11). This trip there were probably 3000+ people!

On a side note - I was on a private EKOL tour, with an excellent guide Inan. He purchased the Terrace House tickets for us, because my understanding it that they can only be purchased in Turkish Lira at the entrance.

Absoulutely agree with all you said. Our first visit was in 92 and like your experience, there were probably fewer than 1000 in the ruins (which is empty since this in an extensive site). But, in those days the large cruise ships had fewer than 2000 (many had fewer than 1000) and there was never more than 1 ship in the port. These days, there are often multiple ships (they now get over 1000 ships per year) and some of these ships carry over 3000. On days where there are more than 7000 cruisers in the area, and most of them go to Ephesus, it is just too darn crowded. Its also hard not to notice that the shopping area in Kusadasi (the Bazaar) has morphed from a dirt/gravel road with make-shift stalls to paved roads, food courts, etc. We expect that on our next visit we will be greeted with a large neon sign flashing "Diamonds International" or "Columbian Emeralds." Yuck!

Hank

Absoulutely agree with all you said. Our first visit was in 92 and like your experience, there were probably fewer than 1000 in the ruins (which is empty since this in an extensive site). But, in those days the large cruise ships had fewer than 2000 (many had fewer than 1000) and there was never more than 1 ship in the port. These days, there are often multiple ships (they now get over 1000 ships per year) and some of these ships carry over 3000. On days where there are more than 7000 cruisers in the area, and most of them go to Ephesus, it is just too darn crowded. Its also hard not to notice that the shopping area in Kusadasi (the Bazaar) has morphed from a dirt/gravel road with make-shift stalls to paved roads, food courts, etc. We expect that on our next visit we will be greeted with a large neon sign flashing "Diamonds International" or "Columbian Emeralds." Yuck!

Hank

We had a bunch of actors dressed in Gladiator garb put on a mock fight...which we bypassed to take advantage of the nice new bathrooms by the back gate.

I did a total DIY of Ephesus with a girlfriend in 2001, that included walking uo the mountain on foot, and we really enjoyed the sites. The Terrace houses were not open at that time.

This time, my DH and I took a ship's excursion from the Izmir port, specifically chosen to see the Terrace Houses. It was a very small tour group, and we had some issues that made it a poor experience for us, BUT, Ephesus the 2nd time around was again wonderful!!! I had forgotten the grandeur of the Library. The only drawback was that there were alot more people this time around.

There was also a lame re-enactment of a gladiator fight that was staged by the tour company for the cruise ship passengers...

The Terrace houses were great!!!! Awesome frescoes, mosaic floors and a nice respite from the hordes outside. I am glad we saw them!

We were contemplating a DIY but from Izmir, public transport was too difficult. It would be easier from Kusadasi as that's where we set off from in 2001.

I too would recommend the 3 Ionian cities--Priene, Miletus and can't remember the last city--but the ruins there were wonderful as well. Didn't see them this time, only the last time in 2001.

I did a total DIY of Ephesus with a girlfriend in 2001, that included walking uo the mountain on foot, and we really enjoyed the sites. The Terrace houses were not open at that time.

This time, my DH and I took a ship's excursion from the Izmir port, specifically chosen to see the Terrace Houses. It was a very small tour group, and we had some issues that made it a poor experience for us, BUT, Ephesus the 2nd time around was again wonderful!!! I had forgotten the grandeur of the Library. The only drawback was that there were alot more people this time around.

There was also a lame re-enactment of a gladiator fight that was staged by the tour company for the cruise ship passengers...

The Terrace houses were great!!!! Awesome frescoes, mosaic floors and a nice respite from the hordes outside. I am glad we saw them!

We were contemplating a DIY but from Izmir, public transport was too difficult. It would be easier from Kusadasi as that's where we set off from in 2001.

I too would recommend the 3 Ionian cities--Priene, Miletus and can't remember the last city--but the ruins there were wonderful as well. Didn't see them this time, only the last time in 2001.

I believe the third Ionian town is Didyma. On one of our visits to Kusadasi we decided to forgo Ephesus to see other places and hired a taxi for about 5 hours. We paid that taxi driver about $75 (this was about 10 years ago) and we flew through the countryside (at speeds over 80 MPH) to see those 3 places + a few other sites. It was a fun day, but we were happy to survive the crazy taxi driver who thought he was in training for the Daytona 500. We just love Turkey! :)

Hank

What we found special about the Terrace Houses, was that it was a peek into the life of the people who lived there. Mosaics that decorated the floors of the rooms...designed for boys or for girls. Paintings on the walls that were for decoration of various rooms, some specific for the rooms themselves..fish on the kitchen walls? Seeing these townhouses/condominiums that were built so long ago, really brought home how we are not so modern! Not to mention the indoor plumbing and heating! (anybody else out there go into these sites with the feeling that the people had lived a primitive life and then learned that the people were not so different from us?)

You are seeing the kitchens, the bedrooms, the living rooms of people who lived many hundreds of years before you...and they are not all that different from what we have these days!

Not to mention, on a hot day it is nice to get out of the sun and away from the people!!

Highly recommend stopping here if you are in Ephesus!!

• 3 weeks later...

When I started this thread, I never imagined my simple question would generate such an overwhelming one-sided, positive response....But we just returned from the 12-day Royal Princess Med/Holy Land cruise and I must say, I totally agree with you all!

It was well worth the return the Ephesus just to see the Terrace Houses....They are amazing! And, of course, Ephesus itself was great to see again.

The cruise ship offered a special small group tour that included the Terrace Hosues for $99.00. However, we booked with Celsus Travel and were totally pleased with their service and loved the guide, Yigit, knowledgeable & very personable & accommodating -- could not have asked for more!

Celsus sent a brand new 17 passenger van for our group of 8...The cost was $52 US pp for a 5 1/2-6 hour tour. We organized our group onboard just 2 days before Kusadasi port and emailed requesting the tour. They were very prompt in confirming everything by email. We got back in time for some to shop & others to have a Turkish Bath....One of our best days on the cruise!

Thanks again!

Celsus sent a brand new 17 passenger van for our group of 8...The cost was $52 US pp for a 5 1/2-6 hour tour. We organized our group onboard just 2 days before Kusadasi port and emailed requesting the tour. They were very prompt in confirming everything by email. We got back in time for some to shop & others to have a Turkish Bath....One of our best days on the cruise!

Thanks again!

How delightful: Ephesus, Terrace Houses and a Turkish bath, all in one day!:)

Thanks for reporting back.

Archived