Customs/immigration questions

mpbmark

For those of you who have already done an Alaska cruise, I have a couple of questions.

I am booked on an Alaska repositioning cruise next September. It leaves from Vancouver, BC with the first stop in Ketchikan, AL. Are there any customs or immigration inspections since we are arriving at a US port from a non-US country? Also, when returning, we leave from Victoria, BC and arrive in San Francisco for an overnight. Same question re: customs/immigration.

I'm asking because I arrange my own shore excursions and need to plan for the extra time to disembark, if inspections are required.

Any and all insight would be greatly appreciated.

You will go through US Immigration in the cruise terminal before boarding the ship in Vancouver, so you just walk off the ship in Ketchikan. After your port stop in Victoria, I think you will go through US Customs and Immigration in the cruise terminal in San Francisco.

My roundtrip Seattle cruise in May was unable to dock in Victoria due to high winds, but I can't remember what we did when we arrived back in Seattle! We probably turned in a customs declaration form and went through a passport check in the terminal. I'm definitely having some senior moments!

**I just checked the Radiance's itinerary. I thought your cruise ended in San Francisco, but it ends in San Diego. You will go through some sort of US Immigration when you get to San Francisco - either a passport check on the ship (as I've done in St. Thomas) or in the cruise terminal.

I concur with what NancyIL has said with respect to US customs in Vancouver and San Francisco pre and post cruise. However whether you arrive by land or by air in Vancouver you will first clear Canadian customs then when you stop in Victoria you will pass thru Canadian customs again but it is a fairly cursory process as they have the ship's manifest in advance and know exactly who they may have to speak with.

So, it sounds like we fly to Vancouver and go thru Canada customs/immigration and then go thru US customs/immigration before boarding. Then, in Victoria, we again are subjected to Canada customs/immigration and US checking in SF.

I'm going to tatoo my passport on my forehead. :)

So, it sounds like we fly to Vancouver and go thru Canada customs/immigration and then go thru US customs/immigration before boarding. Then, in Victoria, we again are subjected to Canada customs/immigration and US checking in SF.

I'm going to tatoo my passport on my forehead. :)

You got it!:D

Archived