Driving Safe In NZ

KiwiIan

If you are considering taking a self drive car while visiting NZ then there is one road rule that is unique to NZ and can potentially cause you grief.

I will try and explain as best i can.

If two cars travelling in opposite directions on a major highway and both wish to turn into the same sideroad, then the car turning left [that is turning into the side road on his side of the road] must give way to the car who is turning right of the main road in front of him, across his path. Except................

If there is a car coming up behind you which is continuing on the main road, then you do not have to give way to the car turning into the road you are also turning into.

Sounds complicated, well it is and its a cause lots of minor accidents [unless you are on a motorcycle, when they become major accidents]

If you want a better explanaition then i can forward a diagram which explains it better.

Dont let this bit of info put you off visiting New Zealand though, its a great place [ i would say that] and generally the road manners are pretty good.

But as a proffessional driver [and motorcyclist] i do think it is important that you are aware of this issue, as when hiring a car i have never known of any hire company pointing this rule out.

If any of you would like further info on NZ driving tips and topics please advise, i'd love to help make your visit to NZ a safe and enjoyable one.:)

Sounds complicated, well it is and its a cause lots of minor accidents
And my Kiwi friends gleefully tell me that it's so incomprehensible that it catches out many locals who started driving before the rule was introduced and have never understood it themselves.

Fortunately, there is one saving grace (which I have benefited from many times): Most drivers who have the right of way under this rule when turning right still seem to be pretty cautious about it, and watch carefully to make sure that the car turning left is in fact going to obey the rule. Even as a regular visitor to NZ, I often forget and have to be saved by the other driver.

Archived