Caye Caulker or Mayan Ruins???

CruisaholiCandy

Our cruise ports are Belize, Isla Roatan, and last is Cozumel. Both DH and I love the beach but would also love to see one of the Mayan Ruins. Does Belize have the best beach of all 3 ports? Does Isla Roatan have Mayan Ruins? Or should we do the ruins in Belize, and hope that the other ports have prettier beaches? Thanks!!

Our cruise ports are Belize, Isla Roatan, and last is Cozumel. Both DH and I love the beach but would also love to see one of the Mayan Ruins. Does Belize have the best beach of all 3 ports? Does Isla Roatan have Mayan Ruins? Or should we do the ruins in Belize, and hope that the other ports have prettier beaches? Thanks!!

Roatan does not have any ruins. But Roatan has nice beaches, a short reasonable taxi ride from the port. Belize beaches are okay but out in the cayes where it takes a water taxi or excursion to get to. Belize ruins are a distance from the port, as are most Mayan ruins, their cities weren't coastal cities.

So do a beach in Roatan and do a ship-based ruins excursion in Belize. I recommend the ship excursion because you're talking 5-7 hours + for a tour if all goes well. Delays happen more frequently than you think. Better to pay the slight extra for the ship excursion than risk missing the ship and having to find your own way to either the next port, or home.

Thank you so much for your time! That makes sense, if Roatan don't have Ruins :o, then we definitely will have to do that in Belize, and beach in Roatan. This will help me so much! I was reading about Lamanai Ruins (sp?) but Carnival doesn't offer it. So, I guess Altun Ha will be just fine.

Roatan does not have any ruins. But Roatan has nice beaches, a short reasonable taxi ride from the port. Belize beaches are okay but out in the cayes where it takes a water taxi or excursion to get to. Belize ruins are a distance from the port, as are most Mayan ruins, their cities weren't coastal cities.

So do a beach in Roatan and do a ship-based ruins excursion in Belize. I recommend the ship excursion because you're talking 5-7 hours + for a tour if all goes well. Delays happen more frequently than you think. Better to pay the slight extra for the ship excursion than risk missing the ship and having to find your own way to either the next port, or home.

It depends on which ruins you want to go see in Belize as to whether you should book through the cruiseline. We are doing Altun Ha in just a few short days through belizecruiseexcursions.com it is only around 4hrs total which leaves ample time to get back to the ship on time and it is ALOT cheaper than going through the ship. They have a great rep on here and other travel sites. I'll report back when we get home

Archived