New Storm Forming

SDPadreFan

A new storm is forming just southwest of Acapulco. The typical October pattern will have this turning north and heading towards Baja California. To early to project anything definite but the storm "could" cause some issues for cruises heading out this Saturday or Sunday. "Could" be in the Cabo area by Wednesday.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/ep200920_5day.html#a_topad

No longer a Tropical Storm - it's now Hurricane Rick (currently Cat 1)

Updated links to the storm's probable path.

5 day projection:

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/ep200920_5day.html#a_topad

Storm Ensemble Models:

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/ep200920_ensmodel.html#a_topad

Computer Models:

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/ep200920_model.html#a_topad

Satellite View:

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/ep200920_sat.html#a_topad

Hurricane Rick is now a dangerous category 5 hurricane, and it is projected to pass very near Cabo San Lucas. It is the second strongest hurricane in recorded history in the Eastern Pacific, the strongest in a decade, and the fastest growing. It currently has sustained winds of 180 mph, compared to 135mph for Hurricane Katrina.

Cruisers should follow this closely if you will be sailing this week.

Currently, things look ok for Cabo, with winds of 57 mph projected, but the rain may be a bigger problem. Definitely something to keep an eye on. Cabo seems to always get lucky at the last minute, but you never know.

A couple of things to think about for cruisers sailing next week (AFTER the hurricane). That storm surge near Cabo is going to bring up a lot of colder water from down deep. So this "might" have an effect on the surface temps in the ocean, IE the water might not be as warm as it normally is in Oct. It's also "possible" that snorkeling may be fairly crummy depending on how cloudy the water gets after the storm. This will also be dependent upon how soon after the hurricane passes that you are there. It may not effect it at all, but it's something to consider. Mazatlan & Puerto Vallarta will also feel the effects of the storm surge but to a lessor degree. It's "possible" their snorkeling will be less than pristene as well, but they should fare better than Cabo.

At least the tree next to her car is already knocked down from the last big storm. Hoping all is well with her.

Jajajaja...we have gotten so much rain over the past week from TS Patricia that the trees are actually coming back after Pepe and his machete but still basically sticks with a few leaves! There is that big palm tree to think about this time. Oh well, insurance is paid up through November (hmmm best check the date just in case).

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I went to the store already this morning, water jugs are filled. Just need a bag of ice and I am set. Boards ready to put up tomorrow after work along with the sand bags for front door. Fill the washing machine with water. Move everything inside. What did I forget????

The ships are starting to cancel for the week although Splendor still says they will be here on Friday! Port Captain closed port today due to enormous waves in the bay. Tomorrow should be interesting :)

I have not seen a post from our CC friend Caro, hope all is well with her. She just got thru that last storm! Sounds like this might be another Advil week for her and doggy Bob. Stay safe all!:)

Got the Aleves handy! Bob is asleep on the terraza with the cats right next to him. I think I will take him for a ride to go get a bag of ice. Thanks for the good thoughts:cool:

We are on the Norweigen Sun now and have been alerted by the captain that he is evaluating whether we will go to Cabo or not. We have just sailed from Mazatlan, now heading to Puerto Villarta. Everything seems quite calm now, but he has come on over the speakers to advise about the hurricane twice. He did not say what an alternative plan might be, but sounds quite concerned about it. Fine with me if we skip Cabo in order to skip this whopper of a storm!

Judy

Latest update from Cabo...Monday's ships (NCL Star and HAL Veendam) still planning on coming late morning but port closed to small craft already. Port captain will re-evaluate at 7am manana if he will close to anything under 500 tons. Tuesday's ships - Sun told me will probably skip and spend day far out at sea and Mariner just emailed and has no idea where they are going but it isn't here! No ships were planned for Wednesday which just happens to be the 4th anniversary of Wilma in Cozumel. I still get goosebumps and feel sick when I look at the pictures and remember the sounds. Thursday's ships - Sapphire has turned around and no word from Radiance. Last email said Splendor still planning for Friday but Infinity has no idea. Gotta go move some more stuff.

I am beyond exhausted. Bands of storms started coming in at about 2:30am. Lots of thunder and lightening. We weren't supposed to have rain at all today so that is the reason I was waiting til after work today to start moving stuff. So all the outside stuff is now inside except the futon frame. Bob the wonderdog is freaking out. And the NCL Star and Veendam really think they are coming today? Better go iron my uniform before power goes out. More later.

The Star actually pulled into the bay and the port captain told them to go away! Veendam dropped off a medical emergency passenger and left. Swells hitting midway up Neptune's finger...10-12 meters (30-36'!). Water over the pier in front of Marina Mercado and about a foot below the main tender pier. Waves crashing into barrier wall at the new Hacienda, over the barrier wall at Cascadas, and going through Tabasco this morning. Sorry these are kinda small...we were standing on jetty by cannery beach shooting across the channel. One person drowned yesterday. As tide goes down, the waves will get harder. And the stupid storm is still almost 400 miles away!

LGIM0373.jpg.20dc77d4b1e6c7a37406486568b0268b.jpg

LGIM0374.jpg.90ff8eddae4bdc59ac91767ba0aa2aa5.jpg

LGIM0376.jpg.11675941308bd1a8cea89f26454e1a91.jpg

LGIM0380.jpg.5787f8ebd954309b767ff1aad55e1cd5.jpg

LGIM0388.jpg.15f79d853459ec47ba40b0e75fb23eb6.jpg

oh my gosh! sounds pretty scary. Please stay off of the jetty, we don't want you and the wonder dog washed away. I think you and Bob and the cats should just climb back into bed for a while! please be very careful, I hope the storm changes direction and downgrades today. We will be visiting in Jan.:)

oh my gosh! sounds pretty scary. Please stay off of the jetty, we don't want you and the wonder dog washed away. I think you and Bob and the cats should just climb back into bed for a while! please be very careful, I hope the storm changes direction and downgrades today. We will be visiting in Jan.:)

New update has it passing about 67miles south at 2am Wednesday morning as a TS!!! Yippy. Raining off and on but nothing terrible. Hope it stays that way. Tata for now.

It took a much harder right hand turn than projected. Looks like it's going to sideswipe Cabo and make landfall a little north of Mazatlan. Looks like it will hit a fairly light populated area just south of Culiacan Rosales. Projected to have weakened to a Tropical Storm at that point.

It took me less than 15 minutes to get all the boards up on the windows! Raining again. I am planning to venture out if the weather allows to take pictures. I want some better pictures of the waves I saw this morning...just incredible! I am including a picture of the new DI store on the pier...and the water level less than a foot and half under!

LGIM0374.jpg.2282e7122f91d026e694af643f1a21ae.jpg

Caro,

This is so off topic, but were you in Cozumel in 2004 and did I bring you OPI polish at Paradise Beach...because if I did, I will be in Cabo on the Splendor on 10/30

Now back to our regular scheduled programming

Archived