Azamara Journey- Fantastic cruise Sept 27-Oct 11

Eileen G

We just went on a cruise on the Azamara Journey and I must say it was a fantastic cruise. We have sailed on RCCL 15X, HAL 6X and Princess 5X and this was by far the best ship we have been on. I am often asked which is my favorite cruise line and I usually reply that they are all very similar.. each has it’s plusses and minuses. Now I can easily say Azamara is my favorite. The itinerary was great: Barcelona, Monte Carlo, La Spezia, Livorno, Civitivechia, Sorrento, Messina, Volos, Istanbul, Kusadasi, Chios and ending in Athens. The minute we stepped on board we could tell the difference. We went to have lunch in the buffet and when we walked in it was so quiet and there were empty tables. Very different from other cruises when the buffet on embarkation day is loud and packed with people everywhere.

The staff was amazing. Hotel Director Heike was around all the time doing everything. She is a very gracious woman always wanting to know if everything is going well. She was always at the gang plank as we left for the day and we often stopped to chat with her. Our butler was great and all the front desk people were always eager to help with any problem.

We never made it to the dining room. We really liked the buffet with the outdoor deck. The food was always good and they had a nice variety. They always had a pasta station and stir fry station. We did eat at the two specialty restaurants three times and enjoyed them very much.

The entertainment was also very good. We really enjoyed the intimate setting of the cabaret. All the entertainers were great and the only time it got crowded was when there was only one show because we were in port. Tony the cruise director was very upbeat and did two shows up in the Looking Glass Lounge.

For every port we went to they brought on board a local person who had maps and local information. Sometimes they even had train and bus schedules. However there were a few times the info was wrong but the maps helped.

Everyone we talked to thought the cruise was wonderful. They often wondered where all the passengers were or if the ship was full. We asked Heike and she said every room was booked. We had only one small child on the whole ship and he was always well behaved.

Hi EileenG !

Thank you for your excellent review. I am happy to hear you had a great Cruise with Azamara. I've had the pleasure of meeting Heike on several past Cruises. Heike is a great asset to Azamara. She has a fantastic personality, and genuinely cares about you having a great Cruise. I hope we meet Heike again on a future sailing.

Welcome Home !

Hi there,

We were on the same cruise and echo Eileen G except we spent 12 out of 14 nights in the Discoveries dining room and can honestly say that (apart from one dessert) we had really good food, a great choice and met some really lovely people. It left us with a really positive experience and will seriously be looking to book our next cruise with them.

:cool:

I'm glad you all have enjoyed my review. I have just posted the port reviews on each of the Med boards. It is a challange with the Med boards split up. I'm trying to decide where I can post the whole review all together.

Eileen - great review - we were on the 9/13 saling and totally echo your sentiments - even with the outdoor "buffet" and we're not buffet people. Unless you experience it it's kind of hard to explain but having made to order food and the atmosphere of the scenery off the aft of the ship. We also eat several times at the specialty restaurants and loved Prime C. Ivo the maitre 'd was wonderful. The front desk and excursion desk staff were the best I've ever experienced (I've sailed 16 time on various lines). Always happy to help.

Heike and Chef Lisa were always out and about and on top of everything another first. It is a well run ship and I highly recommend Azamara especially on a port intensive cruise like the Med. It's the only time I wasn't ready to get off the ship - I could have sailed another 2 weeks - if only my lottery tickets had won!!

Thank you so much for your review. We followed it all over the boards. Perhaps you should consider posting the full review under Cruise Critic Member Reviews. I always look there for new reviews. Your review was great to read and it is clear that you certainly had a wonderful time.

We just went on a cruise on the Azamara Journey and I must say it was a fantastic cruise. We have sailed on RCCL 15X, HAL 6X and Princess 5X and this was by far the best ship we have been on. I am often asked which is my favorite cruise line and I usually reply that they are all very similar.. each has it’s plusses and minuses. Now I can easily say Azamara is my favorite.
Thanks for your review Eileen. I also tracked you across the forums to get the complete story! :):)

I'm thrilled to read your favourable comments about Azamara. And it's now your favorite cruiseline. Wow! It's very obvious to me from reading recent reviews that things are getting better & better at Azamara. Now if only they would change their archaic & punitive alcohol policy! We're so excited to come aboard the Journey soon.

Archived