nyc pier parking

pvoris01

You really have only 2 choices

1. Drive, which is no problem, and park and just pay it....this makes the return trip easy as all you need to do is hop in the car.

2. If decent public transport is available and convenient.....go for it. You will have only 1 very small rolling case, right? It is only 2nights and you can wear your outer clothes. So if it is doable and reasonable pricewise, go public....train or bus into NYC and walk or cab to terminal.

Did you say where you live? If so, I missed it, but either way it only will cost you $60 to park plus driving cost and tolls...and that is cheap and the car will be right there for you. However, if the driving into the big city is what bothers you, and I can understand that, then by all means take public. I don't think cost should be a factor here.......comfort and convenience is what counts.

To me, driving and parking at the dock is a piece of cake. I comedown 95 from eastern MA then down the Henry Hudson and then to the dock. I really don't think the $30 per day to park is all that bad (of course I am used to having to park in Boston) and they have security for the parking lot. Also, by going down along the Hudson I avoid all the mid town traffic.

So I would say if you want to drive and park...go for it.

Alan

Depending on where you are coming from... Getting to the pier in Manhattan is cake...

If you're coming from the South... well... different story... you have to contend with Chelsea piers... and all the other traffic around the tunnels on the West Side Highway.

If you're coming from Jersey... take the GWB... to Henry Hudson South (9A)... aka... West Side Highway...

Then the pier is at 49th st. (entrance around the 50's)... the Entrance is very well marked.

... Coming from the south... If you know the city... I'd say to come in through the Battery Tunnel... and go north up the FDR... then come across town in the 70's... and come back down to the pier...

I am comtemplating booking this but I have no one to join me (yet!).. if we do go, I am just going to take Metro North into Grand Central and then a taxi.. I *think*... unless I can find a subway.. I am in CT and go to the city almost every year for a day so public transit doesnt bother me

Just got back from the Miracle cruise on Thursday. Parking and access to it was easy. We drove in from Delaware (South of NY for those that don't know what a Delaware is!;)) Turnpike up to exit for Holland tunnel (exit 15, I think it was). From there, follow signs to tunnel entrance. Stay in left lane of tunnel and when you come out, take a left onto 42nd at the "T" (There will be a big parking garage in front of you so you have to turn left or right). Then move over and take a right onto 12th. Terminal will be on you left about a mile down. Easy well marked entrance to the terminal.

It used to be that you had to drop off your luggage then exit back onto 12th and come back around to termianl entrance to get to parking. Now, you can go straight to parking and take your luggage down the elevator. Much easier.

Upon return, we docked at pier 88 instead of pier 90 where we left from. Not a big worry...they are side by side and it's an easy 5 min walk to your car.

When we left, we decided to go up 9A to the George Washington Bridge and back to the turnpike. Easy to do, but the signage ccoming off of the GW is not very good so it can get confuisng there.

It took us 3 hours to get to the pier and 3+30 to get home (mainly traffic and weather).

I would do it again in a heart beat...easy drive and yes the $240 was a bit expensive, but not much different from the car services we looked into.

Some folks have suggested taking the ferry in from Jersey as they dock just down from the passenger terminal. If you don't have much luggage, this is a very good option!

HTH

Having cruised out of Baltimore, FLL, Miami, Bayonne, Norfolk, and NYC- I would rate NYC as the worst experience. We drove up from Maryland and reached the city in 4 hours- then the real wait began. It took us almost 2 hours just to go up the ramp to the parking deck!!! I assumed the whole problem was lack of spaces- and maybe they were only letting cars in as a car would exit- but NO the deck had plenty of spots available- I have no idea what caused a 2+ hour back-up- other than the person taking the money did not move the line on any faster. So- to recap- I drove from Maryland over 200 miles to NYC in 4 hours and it took me 2 hours to go up one parking ramp that was maybe 200 yards long!!!

Never again will I park at the deck- I will arrange to park in a private lot and then catch a taxi or walk in to the terminal. Or, I would just go out of Bayonne and avoid the city issue.

I don't question what you wrote but is this a recent experience? With the opening of both Bayonne and the Red Cruise terminals, Manhattan tends to be less crowded than it was when 5-6 ships left in one day. Its become more sedate. they have changed the traffic pattern and limos now use the lower entrance so less vehicles are on the ramps....

Having cruised out of Baltimore, FLL, Miami, Bayonne, Norfolk, and NYC- I would rate NYC as the worst experience. We drove up from Maryland and reached the city in 4 hours- then the real wait began. It took us almost 2 hours just to go up the ramp to the parking deck!!! I assumed the whole problem was lack of spaces- and maybe they were only letting cars in as a car would exit- but NO the deck had plenty of spots available- I have no idea what caused a 2+ hour back-up- other than the person taking the money did not move the line on any faster. So- to recap- I drove from Maryland over 200 miles to NYC in 4 hours and it took me 2 hours to go up one parking ramp that was maybe 200 yards long!!!

Never again will I park at the deck- I will arrange to park in a private lot and then catch a taxi or walk in to the terminal. Or, I would just go out of Bayonne and avoid the city issue.

Wow. We dropped our luggage off on the lower level, looped around drove up to the top and parked the car all in about 20 minutes...leaving was even easier! Took the elevator up to the top deck with our luggage, walked to the car about 10 yards away and were on the road in no time! We left on 9/29 and came back on 10/7....when did you experience the 2 hour wait?

Some folks have suggested taking the ferry in from Jersey as they dock just down from the passenger terminal. If you don't have much luggage, this is a very good option!

HTH

except some people are reporting that their cars were towed from the NJ Ferry terminal. This is meant for daily parking not overnight parking for a week or more. They have cracked down on its use for long term parking....

Its better to use one of the hotels in NJ that has free parking and a shuttle to the ferry....

Parking at all the piers along the east coast is highway robbery.

If people would protest by finding other means to get to ships it would make parking costs come down to more reasonable levels.

really? its $84 per week in Phily....

I don't question what you wrote but is this a recent experience? With the opening of both Bayonne and the Red Cruise terminals, Manhattan tends to be less crowded than it was when 5-6 ships left in one day. Its become more sedate. they have changed the traffic pattern and limos now use the lower entrance so less vehicles are on the ramps....

Yes, this was in June- I was shocked on their inability to move along the traffic- and there were only 2 ships in port, ours and I think the Miracle. As we sat on the entrance ramp and had a good view of the regular traffic coming in off some bridge behind us I just shook my head in amazement- I could not imagine what they were going through to get where ever they were going. Then, once we were inside we waited over 2 hours just to check-in! Had I know how bad the lines were I would have dropped off everybody else to wait in the line inside then waited to park the car. The ship ended up leaving late- heck, we were still in line when we were suppose to be leaving!

Now, I must say we did self-assist to get off and we were off the ship straight-away and to our car and out of the city in no time. Getting off was a breeze.

Yes, this was in June- I was shocked on their inability to move along the traffic- and there were only 2 ships in port, ours and I think the Miracle. As we sat on the entrance ramp and had a good view of the regular traffic coming in off some bridge behind us I just shook my head in amazement- I could not imagine what they were going through to get where ever they were going. Then, once we were inside we waited over 2 hours just to check-in! Had I know how bad the lines were I would have dropped off everybody else to wait in the line inside then waited to park the car. The ship ended up leaving late- heck, we were still in line when we were suppose to be leaving!

Now, I must say we did self-assist to get off and we were off the ship straight-away and to our car and out of the city in no time. Getting off was a breeze.

sorry about that can you imagine what it was like when 5-6 ships where there. I find that if you get there early its not that bad(like 11:30) but sometimes its just nuts....a lot easier in places where there is only one ship. I have found Miami to be worse.

except some people are reporting that their cars were towed from the NJ Ferry terminal. This is meant for daily parking not overnight parking for a week or more. They have cracked down on its use for long term parking....

Then I wonder why they have a first day vs. subsequent day fee schedule?

at the NJ Ferry terminal? It shows daily parking not the cruise terminal...

http://www.nywaterway.com/Home/RidetheFerry/Terminals/Terminal.aspx?ID=11

by monthly parking its means parking daily for a month. not overnight....

Then they should really make that more clear on the site and on the lot before they start towing people's cars away. When I called them, of course this was a year ago that we used it last, they told me that the $9 overnight charge was for the first night only, then they just charged a per day, per week, per month, etc. Also, the time stamp and pay system was certainly set up for overnights. There were no signs prohibiting overnight parking, as I would hope they'd add if this is going to be enforced.

It is too bad that people can no longer park there overnight for New Years Eve, with it being a holiday anyway with less need for commuter parking.... especially since they actually have a New Years ferry celebration that they sponsor :rolleyes: I guess they'd rather people drive home wasted than spend the night in NY.

Then they should really make that more clear on the site and on the lot before they start towing people's cars away. When I called them, of course this was a year ago that we used it last, they told me that the $9 overnight charge was for the first night only, then they just charged a per day, per week, per month, etc. Also, the time stamp and pay system was certainly set up for overnights. There were no signs prohibiting overnight parking, as I would hope they'd add if this is going to be enforced.

It is too bad that people can no longer park there overnight for New Years Eve, with it being a holiday anyway with less need for commuter parking.... especially since they actually have a New Years ferry celebration that they sponsor :rolleyes: I guess they'd rather people drive home wasted than spend the night in NY.

I don't think its a problem for one overnight day. They mark the cars and after a few days they start towing. It is also not my report its what others say they are doing. also just as you know when you call CSR's for cruise lines you don't always get the best info.

Archived