Is Royal Caribbean going down hill

Maya57

There not going down hill they are down hill. The food quality and selections have been cut to a unaccectable level. Its amazing of how much has been cut in just over a year. Extra charges are over the top.

Yes I would rather pay $1,299 with chocolates than $999 with a $100 room credit with the cutbacks and extra charges.

We have been cruising with RC for 5 years. Although there are some changes I disagree with, the cruising experience for my wife and I justs keeps getting better & better. Maybe its because we are familiar with RC, or maybe its because of the friends we have met on CC & the ships. All I know for certain, is my worst day on a cruise ship is still better than my best day in the office.:D

We don't miss the chocolates or the gifts. And we find the food in the MDR very much to our liking.

But again, what we enjoy and like is different, I'm sure than someone elses likes.

We have gotten some nice price drops for our next 3 cruises, which is the first time that has happened for us.

Well.....I must respectfully disagree.

We have been cruising with Royal Caribbean for 25 years now' date=' and even with some of the recent "cutbacks"....every cruise we take is better than the last.[/size']

We feel the same way. We had a marvellous 12 night Med. cruise in August on the Brilliance and really looking forward to our cruise on the Liberty in January.

Haven't missed the chocolates. We would tuck them in the mini-fridge each day and take them home at the end of the cruise rather than see them go to waste; ate the odd oneor two onboard but generally too full from dinner.

Kathy:)

IMO, while the chocolates on the pillows and gifts for Gold-diamond plus were nice, they didn't make and never will (obviously :rolleyes:) make or break my cruise! They added a little bit of class, but i can't tell you how many chocolates just layed on the night stand in our room and how many gifts we brought home and just stuck in the basement or closet somewhere. On the other hand, some people truely enjoy the chocolates and gifts, which is fine, but i would rather have them take it out completely, rather than charging more for the cruise because of these small things that had to be cut-back! If you want RCCL memorabilia, check out the shops on board, i heard they have some great deals :D

~Smooth Sailing!

MJD

IMO, while the chocolates on the pillows and gifts for Gold-diamond plus were nice, they didn't make and never will (obviously :rolleyes:) make or break my cruise! They added a little bit of class, but i can't tell you how many chocolates just layed on the night stand in our room and how many gifts we brought home and just stuck in the basement or closet somewhere. On the other hand, some people truely enjoy the chocolates and gifts, which is fine, but i would rather have them take it out completely, rather than charging more for the cruise because of these small things that had to be cut-back! If you want RCCL memorabilia, check out the shops on board, i heard they have some great deals :D

~Smooth Sailing!

MJD

RIGHT ON!

There are also plenty of prize opportunities if you want trinkets.

*****$%^ is that post above??

Dear Poster,

Thank you for your intelligent, helpful and insightful comment.

For some reason my post was displayed in HTML format.

You can read the content if you ignore the items in <>.

I will clean up and repost as best I can.

To the original poster:

Ok first you have to collect your fee from Princess for posting on the RCI

message board all these petty complaints

Second I am not what they call "Loyal to Royal" or Platinum or Diamond

or any such thing

However I am realistic and objective

Let's do some comparisons and math for RCCL trips

1990 - New York to Bermuda, 7 days , oceanview cabin

- takes 3.5 combined days of cruising because ship does max 18 knots

- ship is prone to pitching and rolling due to size

- chocolates, Shipshape dollars, no fee for Yoga (hate Yoga but you need to pay for a qualified instructor , repeater gifts (whatever)

(OK it's nice but not everyone needs or uses them )

- souvenir printing of name and hometown of all passengers on cruise plus crew names ( must have item ?)

- limited snacks between served meals

- souvenir ship photo frame (cardboard) (whoa!)

- don't forget shuffleboard and skeetshooting

(my favorite pasttimes -NOT)

- one floor theater and one floor dining room (only 2 seatings )

- Cost $1800 p/p

This was my first cruise

Now zoom forward 19 years (don't forget inflation !)

2009 - New York to Bermuda, 5 days ocean view cabin

- the ship is faster, takes only 2.25 days of cruising, ship does 24 knots

- ship is stable in heavy seas crossing the Gulf Stream

- don't get stuff I can live without (chocolates, Shipshape dollars, souvenir printout)

- I get all I can eat from all the new and different food stations night and day which were not there in 1990

- I get better spa, larger pool, modern fitness center, gigantic Viking Crown lounge, unbelievably large theaters and dining areas.

good shows and entertainment My Time Dining if you want it

- Cost: $1100 p/p

Can I make this any clearer?

Summary: 2/3 of cost for larger better room  with more food

options and a much smoother ride

How can you in any sense of the word call this a cheapened product?

- a different product , yes

- a better product for most yes

-a cheapened product no way

Sign me up now, I am THERE.

Sorry you will miss it. Say hello to the Love Boat.

I would not want it added into the fares. Hiding costs is already rampant especially in the travel sector. Full disclosure of actual costs is always advisable

The things mentioned were already part of the fare, then were taken away. If RCI had just raised the fares to compensate for the cost of the chocolates and C&A gifts I dont think as many people would be up in arms.

You're assuming that people will book at the higher prices. In this economy it's not turning out that way.

Just booked a Promenade cabin on the Navigator 4 day cruise @ $279.pp on Wednesday. Today the price dropped to $219pp. Apparently even at these bargain basement prices people still aren't booking.

Bill

My wife a Diamond Plus and Daughter a Diamond member just came off of the Explorer of the seas. As normal they had a great time and can never say enough about the crew BUT with all that said they really felt that Royal Caribbean has gotten cheap and it shows.

The comments below may seem trifle but after almost 50 cruise with well over 25 on Royal Caribbean we felt it had to be mentioned

Most of these items were discussed at dinner by past cruiser. It was even brought up that while RCCL is cutting out items Princess Cruise lines is adding them. It the little things that count and make a cruise memorable

The no chocolate on the pillow at night really cheapen the product. Although we never ate the chocolate it added a little, albeit a little class to the cruise. I would estimate that each piece of chocolate cost 2 or 3 cents at the quantity it is purchased

The nickel and diming of charging for some of the fitness classes like Yoga. This cost nothing extra no special equipment yet they charge extra.

The elimination of “Ship Shape” dollars and “vitality tokens” left a void. It’s understandable that the gifts were costly but the incentive to have passenger participate and have fun was priceless. Instead of eliminating these items they should have reduce the cost of the gifts. How about after getting a number of tokens you trade them in for a specialty coffee or an ice cream cone. A lot less costly but still an incentive.

Repeater gifts were another costly item and I can see eliminating them to a point. But a little inexpensive gift like a pen with the RCCL logo would be appreciated and showing appreciation by the cruise line. Once again the elimination will do more harm than good. The gifts could be better and better as passengers move from Gold to Diamond plus but still not have to “break the bank” so to say.

There were numerous other small items that left other past cruiser with concerns as to the course Royal Caribbean is taking . If all the cruise lines were doing this it would be one thing but like mentioned above Princess is going the other way way

I'm sorry, but the things you mention mean nothing to me. I don't cruise for pillow mints. I have more than enough book bags and hats (and I am only platinum).

Meanwhile, given the quantities that Royal Caribbean hands out fleet wide, I bet by not giving out pillow mints Royal Caribbean is saving about $500,000 per year. I don't mind giving up 35¢ worth of pillow mints if it means Royal Caribbean can save $500,000 per year.

IMHO

I think they never should have done away with any of these perks. They should have adjusted the price of the cruise to absord these costs.

I feel the same way about the airlines, they should increase the price of the tickest $15 instead of charging me $15 to check a bag.

I have the choice on a ship if I want to spend extra to participate, but I dont really have a choice of bringing luggage when I travel. Pay $15 or just go naked...hmmmm

I fly on avg. 35000 + miles a year and am a United Premier mileage member, I have seen the same thing with the airlines, I like United because instead of taking away perks from those that fly the most they are adding them which is why I fly with them -

and it was the little things with RCCL that got us hooked on cruising. while they were a really nice touch it will not stop us from cruising because they are no longer there

Yes I would rather pay $1,299 with chocolates than $999 with a $100 room credit with the cutbacks and extra charges.

Really, are you mad? surely you can buy your own chocolates for a few $s from the obc, the majority of the extras charges are simply for that extras, things ( like additional dining ) that were not previously available.

It should all be about Value for Money, yes standards could be higher but at the price paid, cruising will Royal remains great value for money. I wll only start complaining when that is not the case, and I am happy to have the ability to pay a few $s more if I want to upgrade my experience. That is why I can choose if I want an inside cabin or suite, and dine in the MDR or pay to use Chops Grille.

$999 + $10 (chocs) + $175 ( 7x $25 speciality dining) - $100 credit = $1084 = savings of $215 ( from original $1299 ) and a much better cruise experience. I know what I would rather have.

Answering your intial question first - NO not IMO!!!

My wife a Diamond Plus and Daughter a Diamond member just came off of the Explorer of the seas. As normal they had a great time and can never say enough about the crew BUT with all that said they really felt that Royal Caribbean has gotten cheap and it shows.

The comments below may seem trifle but after almost 50 cruise with well over 25 on Royal Caribbean we felt it had to be mentioned

Most of these items were discussed at dinner by past cruiser. It was even brought up that while RCCL is cutting out items Princess Cruise lines is adding them. It the little things that count and make a cruise memorable

The no chocolate on the pillow at night really cheapen the product. Although we never ate the chocolate it added a little, albeit a little class to the cruise. I would estimate that each piece of chocolate cost 2 or 3 cents at the quantity it is purchased

I never ate the mint chocolate, but I agree that it was a nice touch, however I like the Ghiradelli chocolates they have in the suites now. It won´t change my mind of cruising if there´s chocolate or not.

The nickel and diming of charging for some of the fitness classes like Yoga. This cost nothing extra no special equipment yet they charge extra.

You mentioned Princess above and I just came off a Princess cruise (my first one with them) I don´t look into fitness classes, but I´m almost sure from table conversations that they charge for such classes as well.

The elimination of “Ship Shape” dollars and “vitality tokens” left a void. It’s understandable that the gifts were costly but the incentive to have passenger participate and have fun was priceless. Instead of eliminating these items they should have reduce the cost of the gifts. How about after getting a number of tokens you trade them in for a specialty coffee or an ice cream cone. A lot less costly but still an incentive.

:eek: Passengers need to have an incentive to have fun??? :eek: You gotta be kidding.

Repeater gifts were another costly item and I can see eliminating them to a point. But a little inexpensive gift like a pen with the RCCL logo would be appreciated and showing appreciation by the cruise line. Once again the elimination will do more harm than good. The gifts could be better and better as passengers move from Gold to Diamond plus but still not have to “break the bank” so to say.

Well if I hadn´t read those numerous discussions on CC I might agree with you, but from many posts on here the gifts have not been appreciated by the repeat cruisers. People kept complaining about the gifts and they would have complained even more if given a cheap logo pen. While I liked those gifts I fully understand the elimination of the gifts, having in mind all the complaints.

There were numerous other small items that left other past cruiser with concerns as to the course Royal Caribbean is taking . If all the cruise lines were doing this it would be one thing but like mentioned above Princess is going the other way way

As I said I just got off my first Princess cruise, so I can´t say what they used to do and doing now. I have to say I enjoyed my Princess cruise and most likely it was not my last one, but I would not rate them higher than Royal. To me they are on the same level with some areas Princess being better and others Royal. In the end it equals out.

I honestly do feel a difference cruising now than last year ... the loss of the vitality program to me is the biggest culprit as I liked doing those activities and meeting other people. Now I feel there are fewer activities and even fewer people show up.

There not going down hill they are down hill. The food quality and selections have been cut to a unaccectable level. Its amazing of how much has been cut in just over a year. Extra charges are over the top.

I think you can still have all of that since you are willing to pay. Both sister lines ro RCCL seem to be stepping up to the already more luxury options then RC does.

That's the beauty of this corporation. They are giving you every option. Don't like smoking-sail X, want more perks-sail X want a butler-sail Azamara. The list goes on.

Dear Poster,

Thank you for your intelligent, helpful and insightful comment.

For some reason my post was displayed in HTML format.

You can read the content if you ignore the items in <>.

I will clean up and repost as best I can.

No problem!!! :D

What really got me was when you quoted someone else it still happened! Never saw that befor.

As you can see-I'm not very tech-savy but-heck-ya learn something everyday!;)

I honestly do feel a difference cruising now than last year ... the loss of the vitality program to me is the biggest culprit as I liked doing those activities and meeting other people. Now I feel there are fewer activities and even fewer people show up.

I agree, the Vitality program is the main thing I miss. It was a lot of fun trying new things to get the little disks that I never turned in. It was a great reminder to me to get out there. ;)

I also miss some of the little things, and I really miss the good food quality. I remember it being so much better, even back in 2005 than it is now. I do feel like I am nickeled and dimed every day on the ship. I think the worst is that the drink prices are outrageous. I would probably drink 2-3 MORE drinks every day if it were not for that 15% gratuity and the fact that my favorite drink, a Long Island Iced Tea, costs $10!!

After reading all the follow up reply's to the OP I think most of are missing the point.

The OP said he/she did not eat the chocolate but felt it added a little class to the sailing. The cost at 3 cents is nothing, lets use 5 cents times a 7-night cruise you are looking at 35 cents per person or 70 cents per cabin. I think that an extra $1.00 per cabin leaves a better impression of the company and well worth it.

My wife and I still enjoy Royal Caribbean over the other but I agree that the nickle and diming has gotten out of hand. Like someone else said the food selection in the dining room has been reduced as well as the quality

I do a fair amount of flying and always hear complaints about the airlines charging extra for checked luggage. Like someone else said people are stuffing more and more into their carry-on with airlines running out of overhead space. Those airlines that do not charge like Southwest (1st piece is free) are picking up new pasengers from the other airlines. The public does not appreciate nor will they accept the nickle and diming when their is a option.

The most interesting point made by the OP is how the other cruise lines or increasing the perks without increasing the price.

My wife and I have been on numerouse cruises on most cruise lines, We are Elite on Celebrity, Elite on Princess, Diamond plus on RCI just to give you an idea. When talking to fellow passengers on these other cruise lines I think the path RCI is taking will hurt them.

The 15% bar-related gratuity is pretty much standard throughout the industry ... at least on those cruise lines I've sailed. I understand that these folks' "compensation" plan is different ... which is why I always throw in another buck or two (a $.68 tip for a $4.50 drink seems cheezy).

It's funny (although very common) how folks' criteria and expectations differ so greatly. I've heard and read just about everything ... the food is wonderful/I don't know how they can get away serving this garbage; the ship is spectacular/the ship is a monument to bad taste; the service was excellent/every employee I came in contact with was rude ... and so on, ad nauseum.

What I'm looking for is a relaxing vacation, value for my dollar, and to be treated as a welcome guest. I've been on close to 40 cruises, and usually have one or two booked at any given time. Granted, some have been better than others ... but anything that has ever gone wrong was corrected expeditiously and courteously. Some food is pretty good, some not all that great, even on the same cruise ... personal taste and preparation do make a difference. Times change, so policy must adjust. If the revenue stream is either reduced or interrupted, resulting in a downward price spiral and increased perks (it's all about filling the ship ... empty staterooms produce zero dollars) one cannot expect all else to remain the same. But as long as I get my Big Three (relaxation, value and courtesy) I'm still onboard!

I see your points but if not giving a pen to each of the repeat cruisers helps RC continue to offer the product they do then I am all for it...really cant say that I have ever used any of the C&A gifts that they have given out...RC isnt ther only line charging fees for formerly free items in order to reduce the overall cost impact...I dont think they are going downhill...certainly acclimating to a new busioness climate...but the best part is that you can always show your opinion by cruising elsewhere

You are willing to pay $300 for 14 pillow mints? Give me you address, I'll send you all the pillow mints you want and I'll only charge $20 each (saving you $20 off that $300 price tag).

I think the path RCI is taking will hurt them.

Time will tell, I guess. It's all about filling the ship ... empty staterooms produce zero revenue. If RCI cruises continue to sail at or near capacity, any uproar is likely to fall on deaf ears, especially if stockholders are happy.

Nickel-and-diming aside, cruising remains the best value for the vacation dollar by far. So many folks (especially families) couldn't afford to get away, if not for the cruise industry. As long as the product is in demand, it's business as usual.

Everything about cruising is so subjective ... food, entertainment, ports of call, shipboard amenities, staff ... look hard enough, and you'll find many people who agree with you, and just as many who don't.

I'm a 40-cruise veteran, and have certainly noticed changes over the years ... some good, some not so good. RCI is usually quick to respond to any negative feedback ... provided it won't significantly affect the balance sheet. I remember when the rock wall was a pay-for-play activity ... there was some protesting, and they dropped the charge. Apparently, there weren't all that many takers to begin with. Johnny Rockets burgers were originally included as non-specialty food ... and when a $3 surcharge was imposed, these boards became alive with resentment ("I'll never cruise Royal Caribbean again!") ... so now they cost $5! I guess that artery-clogging is alive and well.

My advice is simple ... if you feel you're being ripped off, screwed, nickel-and-dimed, or otherwise taken advantage of, there's always Princess, Carnival, NCL, MSC, all similarly priced ... that's the beauty of it; you have considerable choice. If enough people feel that RCI's product has deteriorated, you'll see a change for the better. Otherwise, they'll still be looking at the bottom line.

But enough about this ... despite it all, enjoy your cruise!

Al

The OP said he/she did not eat the chocolate but felt it added a little class to the sailing. The cost at 3 cents is nothing, lets use 5 cents times a 7-night cruise you are looking at 35 cents per person or 70 cents per cabin. I think that an extra $1.00 per cabin leaves a better impression of the company and well worth it.

My wife and I still enjoy Royal Caribbean over the other but I agree that the nickle and diming has gotten out of hand. Like someone else said the food selection in the dining room has been reduced as well as the quality

I do a fair amount of flying and always hear complaints about the airlines charging extra for checked luggage. Like someone else said people are stuffing more and more into their carry-on with airlines running out of overhead space. Those airlines that do not charge like Southwest (1st piece is free) are picking up new pasengers from the other airlines. The public does not appreciate nor will they accept the nickle and diming when their is a option.

I find that even after paying for luggage Southwest is more expensive than the airline I fly on.

As to your $1.00 per cabin per day example, Royal Caribbean has over 25,000 cabins floating around the various oceans. So that is $25,000 per day for 365 days or a little over $9 million dollars.

I'll gladly give up my pillow mints (which my doctor would prefer I don't eat anyway) to allow Royal Caribbean to save $9 million.

Archived