Is QM2 For Us - I'd Really Appreciate Input

Hblanton

Hi all. My wife and I are seasoned, but unusual cruisers. We've done about a dozen cruises, including 3 times across the Atlantic. We are considering taking the QM2 this April to get us to London to start a month-long holiday in eastern Europe. I'm worried that as nice as the ship is, it might not be a fit for us. Here's why:

We are mid to late 40s and live in California splitting our time between Palm Springs, Lake Tahoe and San Francisco as a relatively young retired happily <G> childless couple. Since we have the luxury of time, we absolutely LOVE transatlantic cruises as a way to get to Europe with no jetlag and without being jammed onto a plane for 14 hours (we fly from SFO or LAX to NYC or Florida to start the trips, and then try to fly home business class.)

We cruise in our own way. While I dont' think we are antisocial, we don't really enjoy any of the activites onboard (except that I do play bridge most days.) For us the cruise is about relaxing before a trip, getting to our location, enjoying sitting on the balcony looking at the ocean and reading, using the gym and spa a bit and thats about it. We get to eat at plenty of good restuarnts in SF and on our travels, so on a ship we just enjoy quick and easy meals. I've never had a really great meal on a ship - including a 14 day trip on Regent - but then again we've seldom not found something tasty and satisfying.

I dont' want to sound harsh, but ultimately our primary goal is to be left alone to enjoy the ocean. So while our crossing on Regent SS Voyager was lovely (and the Penthouse suite was truly awsome) we probably have enjoyed our trips on NCL more because of the lack of scheduling, set seating, etc.

I guess what I am saying is that we are very, very casual people and am afraid that the QM2 may feel stuffy. The last thing I want to do on a trip is get dress up - not wearing a suit is part of why I retired young. Will I feel out of place if we skip what I understand to be 3 formal nights and just put on a sports coat and eat at the buffet or pub? I don't want to say that wearing a tie is the crux of the issue, but it is sort of symbolic for me. I understand that many folks enjoy that ritual, and bully for them. People on Carnival enjoy hair chest and trivia contests and these are equally irrelevant to us. On other lines - even Regent - we were able to find our own quiet path and not feel like we were sticking out like sore thumbs. Can we do this on QM2?

Having rambled on, I'd like to ask 2 more practical questions. Does the ship have Wifi (in rooms or public areas) and does anyone know what the rates are like? Also, what are transport options from Southampton to London or the airports like? We LOVE London, but have been there over a dozen times and spent nearly a month there last year. So this time we were planning on just going right from the ship to an airport (not sure which yet - could be Luton) for a flight to Berlin to start the Continental part of this vacation.

Ok, thanks for your endulgence and any input would be greatfully appreciated.

Best,

HLYB

IMHO I think the Queen Mary 2 is about your only choice for a conventional or regularly-scheduled transatlantic voyage, and it is a spectacular ship, and large enough to provide many choices or, in your case, non-choices. You could take a Queen's Grill cabin or whatever and just stay there if you wish, in your casual clothes, ordering via the Butler, except for dining occasionally in the Queen's Grill at night according to the posted dress code. You could venture down to the King's Court at night in elegant casual for a meal in one of the venues there, several of which take reservations for special meals at night. Casual or Elegant Casual dress is certainly appropriate during the daytime on the Queen Mary 2. But as you read the brochures you will realize that the Queen Mary 2 is a traditional Cunard vessel, Formal (which includes a dark business suit with tie if you wish) being the dress code in most parts of the ship after 6 p.m. on about every four out of seven nights and you cannot expect --- no matter how "unusual" your tastes are --- to ask a zebra to change its stripes. Having Money and Time has nothing to do with it. It is not the Queen Mary 2 that is being tested.

I guess what I am saying is that we are very, very casual people and am afraid that the QM2 may feel stuffy. The last thing I want to do on a trip is get dress up - not wearing a suit is part of why I retired young. Will I feel out of place if we skip what I understand to be 3 formal nights and just put on a sports coat and eat at the buffet or pub? I don't want to say that wearing a tie is the crux of the issue, but it is sort of symbolic for me. I understand that many folks enjoy that ritual, and bully for them.

You will be fine in a sports jacket with no tie in the buffet section of the Kings Court. That's why it's there - for people who don't want to dress formally. I've seen people dress more casually than that in there during the evening.

To me, and many others who travel Cunard, it is the elegance and dressing up that make the holiday so special for us. But it is anything but stuffy.

I really would have felt out of place if I hadn't joined in as the ship was transformed after 6pm each evening with Evening Dress or Cocktail dresses everywhere.

If this was your only option to travel transatlantic and you were happy to be different, or you really do want to shut yourself away in your cabin venturing out to the gym, spa or for a hand of bridge then maybe it is a good choice for you. But IMHO you would be missing out on part of the wonderful experience of traveling with Cunard.

Well, yes, I suppose they'll "be fine" with a sport coat and no tie in the buffet, and yes, they can generally keep to themselves, etc. -- but why set yourself up for a stylistic clash like that? My wife and I love the formality and elegance of the QM2, right down to the cuff links, and so do most of the other passengers; other travelers on other lines prefer shorts and Hawaiian shirts and dinner seating strictly for two, great, takes all kinds, but then why not shop for a ship that fit one's style? Why spend six days sort of avoiding the Cunard style, trying to find ways to comfortably work around it? QM2 isn't the only transatlantic by any means. This is a ship that has Ascot night and Black and White Balls for pete's sake. I wouldn't be caught dead on a spring-break, party animal, college-kid cruise in a million years (like oh, maybe a super cheap Carnival cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale or Miami for example), but others love that style. You wear flip flops to dinner in the buffet on your ship, and I'll polish my patent leather tux shoes on the QM2, and we'll wave to each other when we pass on different ships. That's that glory of healthy capitalism.

Hello,

I was speaking to someone from CA on ou recent TA who wasn't at all keen on the formality of the ship but also wanted a bit more to be happening! It was a bit too quiet, he thought. He added that he had avoided the formal nights by eating in Kings Court.

When we visited KG at the end of the evening, there was a variety of dress but I have no idea what the atmosphere or dress code is during the evening dining hours.

Bridge is available daily; there is a great library; spa and gym. There are quiet places to read or dream. There are also classes/concerts and other activities during the day should you wish but you are never 'encouraged' to take part in these and there are no public announcements (apart from a daily update).

For our part, we enjoy the formal dress and there is a wonderful amosphere on these nights throughout most of the public areas but as I have said, the gentleman I spoke to managed to avoid this and as has already been pointed out, you could dine in your room.

You will probably be harangued on these boards for wishing to opt out but it is your vacation to do as you wish. I would advise lots of research and comparison.

Good luck ;)

Go for it! We also felt like it might not be the ship for us but after doing a 24 day cruise on QM2, she is our very favorite ship. We are also seasoned cruisers, 36 to date and our next QM2 is in June, can't wait. Kings Court has very good choices and menus, you don't need to dress formal up there. Go and enjoy it! Don't miss the planitarium show, they are great.

Gee, your post presents a real dilemma. On the one hand a Transatlantic on the QM2 sounds like its perfect for what you want to do--plenty of nooks and crannies to just read and relax. Probably the best spa at sea if you want real relaxation. If you can afford to book the Britannia Club or Princess Grill (or Queen Grill, for that matter), you can eat when you want (although at a set table) or you can do that at the casual dining Kings Court, which has four different choices for cuisine every night (although reservations may be recommended for the Carvery, which is very small), or at Todd English. I even enjoyed the room service. There are plenty of lectures, shows, and activities during the day, but if you don't want to take part no one is going to pressure you to do so and because others will be, you'll have more of the ship to yourself.

On the other hand, dress-wise it is pretty formal. Most people do go the whole tuxedo route on formal nights. Although most people probably don't care if you are not dressed to the nines for the night as you eat at Kings Court, some people apparently do care (as indicated by this board).

So, it sounds like it meets your needs for a quiet relaxing do-what-you-want cruise, but its not so easy-going when it comes to the nightly dress code.

Enjoy whatever cruise you decide to take (if not Cunard, try a repositioning cruise from Florida to Spain, a lot of cruise lines have those in the early spring).

I agree with Flag Fan and was also wondering whether you are aware that the April 29 sailing continues on to Hamburg? And may I say--what a lovely way to start your vacation.

As for internet rates, I know pb82 has links to just that sort of information and a quick search for his posts should put you on the right track. If I remember correctly, wifi is now widely available.

Wifi is in every cabin. Rates, if you buy a package, are under $0.50/minute - or even less if you buy a lot.

If money isn't a problem then why not book a nice QG suite, and eat there from the Queens' Grill menu every night? You'll have the food, and the casual atmosphere you want. Up until about 6.00-6.30 ish there is no dress code, and there is no requirement to do anything except observe proper standards of public decency - and this includes the restaurants. All of them.

To be explicit - jeans are perfectly okay in the day. As is a casual shirt.

The Q4 and up all have a proper dining table - and every cabin has a table by the sofa that raises to a proper height for eating. Unless you are Grill then you'll only have the standard cabin service for dinner if you eat in your cabin, and whilst it is nice enough, it would get repetitive very quickly.

Hope that makes sense - and also don't forget that Eurostar is the best way to get to continental Europe from the UK. Get a car to drop you at St. Pancras International, and you can continue on a Thalys or ICE from Brussels. (Both are fast trains - properly fast - not like the Acelas which I gather don't exceed 100 mph. Our commuter trains can do that!)

I think you'd be missing out on the evenings, but what that's your prerogative.

...As for internet rates, I know pb82 has links to just that sort of information and a quick search for his posts should put you on the right track. If I remember correctly, wifi is now widely available.
Here and the next page are QM2 wifi info from July. We had great connectivity from our cabin.

And hey, pack a blue suit, a white shirt, and two or three ties and enjoy following the dress code while pretending to be an adult; works for me!

I know that some people enjoy dressing up. Its something I've never quite "gotten" but neither have I discouraged anyone from having their fun putting on a tux or cocktail dress. It surprises me how many people either say "try it, you'll like it" or "play adult." While being in our 40s obviously puts my wife and myself in a younger tier than most transatlatic cruisers, we are not exactly kid either and we don't wear flip-flops or hawaiian shirts or whatnot. So some of this is clearly an age difference, perhaps part is also a geographical or demographic issue. San Francisco has certainly become a very casual city in terms of dress - I honestly don't know if there is a good restaurant in the city where a coat, much less a tie is either required or even advisable. Here in Palm Springs you can imagine that among those under 80, a nice silk shirt and linnen trousers is about as formal as it gets. I know the East Coast tends to be a bit more formal, though I've spent a great deal of time in NYC as well and it has relaxed dramatically in the last 10 years. Used to be lawyers wore suits to work every day - now its pretty much reserved for going to court or meeting with certain kinds of clients.

I know there are other lines available for the crossing. The appeal of QM2 to us is that it is only a week. We've done the 2 week crossing 3 times and while we enjoyed it, this time we want to reserve more of our time sightseeing so a 1 week crossing seemed like a good idea. When we did a 2 week crossing on Regent's SS Voyager - which is clearly vastly more upscale than Carnival owned and run Cunard (the price per night obviously reflected this as well) we were able to navigate this issue quite well. But there we only had a few formal nights over 2 weeks and on those occassions we just ate at the buffet or in our cabin and sort of "avoided" more public spots those evenings (again, its not as though we were wearing jeans and ripped t-shirts, just good resort casual ) And I'm happy to do the same on QM2, but some of the responses suggest that we really might stick out and I neither want to feel suffocated nor make other people feel the need to "tut tut" us.

I did note that the ship goes on to Hamburg - this was another item arguging for the ship. I don't know the quality of the "enrichment" programs, but if the lectures are of PBS sort of quality, that would be a terrific plus. The planetarium looks like fun as well.

My plans were for a regular balcony cabin. I don't think I'll trade up to a "Grill" suite to be able to eat better in my room. If it comes to that it woudl seem to the wrong decision in the first place.

So looking at the responses, so far it seems a mixed bag. A few who say "go for it, you'll be fine" and a few in the "If its not for you, don't bother" camp. I'll be interested to get a few more votes if they are out there to help tip the scales one way or another.

Thanks for the input.

Having only done 2 cruises before in my life, the first on QM2 in 2007 NY to the Carribean and then last year on the RSS Voyager Atlantic crossing Madeira to Fort Lauderdale I would still like to comment as they just happen to be the vessels mentioned.

Someone on QM2 recommended Regent as a fantastic cruise line and as we are the same age bracket as you, only not retired just work in our own business 7 days a week all year we do like indulge in 2 weeks of luxury once a year.

We were Princess Grill on QM2 and had a Master suite on Voyager. I was very dissapointed in Voyager, the suite was lovely, service was excellent and our butler delightful but there was no atmosphere! and I much prefer the food on QM2. I am a real foodie and was not that impressed on RSSV. I also didn't feel there was much atmosphere (we were about the youngest on board) Other cruisers didn't seem very friendly although the staff were always friendly and polite where as on QM2 we enjoyed chatting with others or just being quiet if we desired.

So.......QM2 it is again this Nov. Queens Grill this time so a real treat, we just loved her and the people and you can hide and be quiet if you want and the people and food really made the trip a delight, no contest for me, QM2 wins hands down. Of course it may not suit you but what ever you choose to do enjoy your whole trip, sounds wonderful and life is for living.

I guess what I am saying is that we are very, very casual people and am afraid that the QM2 may feel stuffy. The last thing I want to do on a trip is get dress up - not wearing a suit is part of why I retired young. Will I feel out of place if we skip what I understand to be 3 formal nights and just put on a sports coat and eat at the buffet or pub? HLYB

As others have said, your only options will be the buffet or your cabin - the pub doesn't serve food in the evening and just about everyone else will be dressed up, as they will in all the other bars, making your options for pre/post dinner drinks very limited unless you feel comfortable under-dressed.

I'm one of the few on here who does not enjoy dressing up, but accept it as the price to be paid for cruising on a wonderful line, the rest of whose product I love.

I waited to weigh in with my opinion so here goes. I love the dressing up part only because back at home I never do it. But - it's your life and your journey. So don't worry abut the formal part. You do have options.

During the day, you can do absolutely nothing, sit with a book, daydream, go to a lecture or the planetarium. There will not be anouncements all day long telling you about this activity and that. Unless there's something important, the only announcment will be made by the Captain giving his noon report. Read your Daily Programme cover to cover to find out what's happening. And you can certainly have breakfast and lunch in the Britannia dining room and afternoon tea in the Queen's Room.

On a transatlantic 3 nights will be formal, 1 semi-informal and elegant casual the rest which are usually first night (because you are not unpacked) and last night (because you are packing). That evening you can order room service (the menu is limited) or go to the buffet in King's Court.

Throughout the ship most people will be formally dressed but there will be a few like yourself who choose not to. You can still enjoy the movies in the planetarium or attend shows in the theatre. A sports coat and no jeans will be perfectly acceptable.

Some of us love the ship, as in absolutely adore her and please don't be put off by the naysayers. Book the crossing and find out for yourself if the QM2 fits you.

I’ve been a member of cruise critic for less than 1 year. This has to be the most discussed topic on this board. The first few dozen times or so I felt that people could do whatever they wanted. But as time goes on, and it’s not even that much time, I have moved clearly into the fashionista camp.

I don't get the "I don't want to dress up" posts. It's not like you're being asked to do something that goes against your moral or religious beliefs. People treat it like it’s the equivalent of the “conscientious objector” clause that allows people to opt out of military service during wars. We’re talking about one dark suit, 1 tie and a few white shirts. Even 1 white shirt if you do laundry while playing bridge. When you get England, throw it into a box and ship it home. It seems to me that people spend more effort trying to figure out ways to maneuver around the ship in casual clothes than it would take to pop a suit on for a few hours a day. Men’s Warehouse – basic black suit - $150. Deal with it.

I think you should go for it. But throw a jacket on for travel and bring a tie, just in case the mood strikes you to "conform.";) You may stick out a bit, but if you don't care, and are clean and wearing untorn duds, just ignore the sideways glances of others (fashion police never rest:)). Oh, to retire at 40 (past it, I am afraid...50, maybe?)!

I don't get the "I don't want to dress up" posts. It's not like you're being asked to do something that goes against your moral or religious beliefs. People treat it like it’s the equivalent of the “conscientious objector” clause that allows people to opt out of military service during wars.

Each of us the right to his opinion. The OP has been both frank about his views, and has explained the reasoning. I would not reach the same conclusion myself, but that is not really all that interesting.

If not wearing a tie has a symbolism for the OP, then fair enough. My late father had the same view, and refused to wear a tie to his daughter's wedding. He looked better than the groom, who had hired a cheap morning suit. So I understand the viewpoint of the OP, but have reached a different conclusion personally.

What is important is that the OP has the manners to realise that his position should not be imposed on the ship, and seeks to avoid offence. I trust that doesn't appear to be patronising - it isn't meant that way at all - which is why I'm happy to provide advice as I can. To suggest that he "plays at being an adult" doesn't really assist anyone. Of course he can put on a tie. But he shouldn't be forced to if he is prepared to respect the dress code of the ship.

Which he is. Good for him. The only occasion when one must dress in a certain way is at a funeral. Then, clearly, one takes a lead from the family. Other than that, and providing no offence is caused, and no rules broken, then I can't see that there is any reason not to please ourselves.

HH

I waited to weigh in with my opinion so here goes. I love the dressing up part only because back at home I never do it. But - it's your life and your journey. So don't worry abut the formal part. You do have options.

During the day, you can do absolutely nothing, sit with a book, daydream, go to a lecture or the planetarium. There will not be anouncements all day long telling you about this activity and that. Unless there's something important, the only announcment will be made by the Captain giving his noon report. Read your Daily Programme cover to cover to find out what's happening. And you can certainly have breakfast and lunch in the Britannia dining room and afternoon tea in the Queen's Room.

On a transatlantic 3 nights will be formal, 1 semi-informal and elegant casual the rest which are usually first night (because you are not unpacked) and last night (because you are packing). That evening you can order room service (the menu is limited) or go to the buffet in King's Court.

Throughout the ship most people will be formally dressed but there will be a few like yourself who choose not to. You can still enjoy the movies in the planetarium or attend shows in the theatre. A sports coat and no jeans will be perfectly acceptable.

Some of us love the ship, as in absolutely adore her and please don't be put off by the naysayers. Book the crossing and find out for yourself if the QM2 fits you.

I, too, had been reluctant to chime in here but you have voiced my thoughts perfectly.

If I were in the OP's shoes, I would not hesitate to sail on QM2. She is a beautiful ship and there is so much to be enjoyed onboard that choosing to skip 3 formal nights in the dining room should not preclude your sailing on her. Please give it a try! Who knows, you just might end up with the same addiction as most of us who post here.

You asked about age--you will find that people of all ages enjoy Cunard and age is of little importance to any of them. There are many your age who are regulars and I suspect that if you do a sailing you just might be one of the new regulars onboard. Go for it!!!

You pay your money ... you have the choice.

Having never had the fortune to retire at your age, and good for you, you can choose where you go and how. I'm sailing on the world cruise on QM2 but with an outside balcony cabin dining in Britannia. This is what we can afford. It sounds like Queen's Grill is your option and dine whenever and however you choose - some of the wonderful suites allow you to do that. Go for it! I would do the same ... if only.

"To be or NOT to Be ---- whether tis nobler -"etc etc.

Days you will have no problem dress wise, and you can be do or ot do whatever you wish.

However at night you will be limited. Casual nights you could get be in the Britannia dining room, but for Todd English they most likely would expect coat and tie.

Kings Court buffet any night you would get be, certain sections do need resevations (possibly also would expect a coat) Do you do resevations?

Room service is NOT good, very limited.do you want to eat hamburger, BLT for 6 nights?

Of course if you have an upscale stateroom with a butler, you will be able to order form the Grill menu and eat it in your stateroom wearing whatever you wish.

The choice is and always has been that you should choose a mode of travel that suits your life style (unless like myself you have champagne taste but only beer money then it is hard). Seriously you can do the QM2 your way, but you may have to go to a Grill stateroom unless you are prepared to be limited in your choice of food, and location.

Enjoy your life together,

I think its pretty clear that QM2 is not for me. To those who don't understand my distaste for dressing up on vacation, I think we can just chalk it up to different strokes. I can't fathom what pleasure people get from getting dressed up. I used to have a very nice wardrobe (we lost EVERYTHING in a house fire last year so we had to concisouly decide what to replace.) Now I have one classic Brooks Bos. dark suit for funerals and the like (sadly used already) and a few really nice sports coats.

Clearly the world generally, and crusing in particularly, has voted with me and against forced formality. That said, I certainly don't begrudge you a vestage. There is a place for Beef Wellington, Cherries Jubilie, tuxedos, two and a half hour meals with strangers, and other icons of a time long past. Unfortunately for me its on the only regular transatlatnic passage.

Somoene hit the nail on the head - I was hoping it would be reasonable to use the QM2 as a really, really nice ferry. In fact, I take ferry's whenever I can and always enjoy them (even a nasty old bucket from Italy to Croatia last year.) Given the time and money its been just an amazing way to start month long trips in Europe. The transatlatnic repositioning cruises of other lines are a spectacular bargain and meet our needs quite well. But as I mentioned they are 2 weeks rather than 1 so for this trip I thought we might try something new.

But taking QM2 would obviously entail either our making more adjustments than we would like, or making other people unhappy or uncomfortable. Life is too short, and there are too many options, to go with either of these.

So I think I'll invest instead in a RT business class flight this tme, and leave it at that.

All the best.

Archived