Or to rebel against outrageous fashion

And by opposing flaunt it? To coat: to tie;

No more; and by that act to say we end

The customsof a hundred elegant years

That Cunard is heir to, ‘ist a consummation

Devoutly to be wished?

An Iambic Gari.

I love you!!::)

I think its pretty clear that QM2 is not for me. To those who don't understand my distaste for dressing up on vacation, I think we can just chalk it up to different strokes. I can't fathom what pleasure people get from getting dressed up. I used to have a very nice wardrobe (we lost EVERYTHING in a house fire last year so we had to concisouly decide what to replace.) Now I have one classic Brooks Bos. dark suit for funerals and the like (sadly used already) and a few really nice sports coats.

Clearly the world generally, and crusing in particularly, has voted with me and against forced formality. That said, I certainly don't begrudge you a vestage. There is a place for Beef Wellington, Cherries Jubilie, tuxedos, two and a half hour meals with strangers, and other icons of a time long past. Unfortunately for me its on the only regular transatlatnic passage.

Somoene hit the nail on the head - I was hoping it would be reasonable to use the QM2 as a really, really nice ferry. In fact, I take ferry's whenever I can and always enjoy them (even a nasty old bucket from Italy to Croatia last year.) Given the time and money its been just an amazing way to start month long trips in Europe. The transatlatnic repositioning cruises of other lines are a spectacular bargain and meet our needs quite well. But as I mentioned they are 2 weeks rather than 1 so for this trip I thought we might try something new.

But taking QM2 would obviously entail either our making more adjustments than we would like, or making other people unhappy or uncomfortable. Life is too short, and there are too many options, to go with either of these.

So I think I'll invest instead in a RT business class flight this tme, and leave it at that.

All the best.

I may be red flagged for this , but are you serious? Of course the QM2 is'n't a bl**dy ferry! What are you on? Are you a troll?

Ok, so you retired early & are rich, but that doesn't mean a thing to Cunard lovers, we are from all walks of life.

Why did you come on here & ask this question? Did you not have the intelligence to look at the Cunard website & see if it suited you?

Silly man!

BTW, I am 47 as it's is well known :( & DH is 53. Not exactly old!!

Isn't the whole point of a transatlantic liner that she is exactly that? Cunard have a long history of running the "North Atlantic Ferry".....

Well she is a bit more stylish and comfortable than Stena or Irish Ferries, which I also use, but I suppose it's a bit of a longer crossing.

At least you don't see the little paper bags scattered around when the sailing is going to get a bit rough ;)

If Windstar had a transatlantic crossing, I'd say.. that would be the perfect fit. It's small, laid back-- yet upscale. There's no entertainment at night aside from a lounge singer. People come to dinner in polo shirts and khakis. It's the perfect place to bring a book and relax on deck.

It was the most relaxing vacation I've ever had. I'll definitely be doing Windstar again.

Check it out for other cruise venues. I can't speak for QM3 yet.. as I'm due to leave on Thursday for my first aboard the Cunard line.

Well she is a bit more stylish and comfortable than Stena or Irish Ferries, which I also use, but I suppose it's a bit of a longer crossing.

At least you don't see the little paper bags scattered around when the sailing is going to get a bit rough ;)

Heywood, I think that you have overlooked the supplies of said white bags that they hang out on the rubbish bins by the lifts and on the rail at the bottom of each stairway by each deck, albeit in a very stylish chrome/black dispenser. Never needed them or seen anyone using one - such is the exceptional sailing on the QM2

Heywood, I think that you have overlooked the supplies of said white bags that they hang out on the rubbish bins by the lifts and on the rail at the bottom of each stairway by each deck, albeit in a very stylish chrome/black dispenser. Never needed them or seen anyone using one - such is the exceptional sailing on the QM2

Well there you are! I never noticed them. :D

QM2 - discreet as ever.

Looks like we've lost the OP....which is a pity, as without a doubt the QM2 is the finest ship crossing the Atlantic - nothing else comes close.

I also think there is a lack of perspective over this 'Formal' thing - in a crossing of around 150 hours, with three formal nights, you're looking at 12-15 hours max where dress might be an issue in the main restaurants, but not at the Kings Court - where a change of venue might be welcome. In other words, less than 10% of the time onboard.

A couple of other points;

• QM2's age demographic will be much closer to the OP's own than a 14 night repo on a cruise ship - which will tend older. The OP will be a long way from the youngest on-board.
  • The Lectures are better than PBS, in my view. When can you ask a PBS talk questions?
  • The Library is orders of magnitude bigger than anything else at sea.

But there we go....because of something that will affect (and not even that seriously) under a tenth of the voyage.....they will miss the greatest ship in the world. Pity.

More space for us. I say. If you are going to a "nice" restaurant you would put on a jacket with slacks and a shirt and tie so why is there such antipathy to dressing on board. To me a tux is better than a suit/blazer as with the bow tie I am unlikely to spill soup down it, which is a habit of mine.

Looks like we've lost the OP....which is a pity, as without a doubt the QM2 is the finest ship crossing the Atlantic - nothing else comes close.

I also think there is a lack of perspective over this 'Formal' thing - in a crossing of around 150 hours, with three formal nights, you're looking at 12-15 hours max where dress might be an issue in the main restaurants, but not at the Kings Court - where a change of venue might be welcome. In other words, less than 10% of the time onboard.

A couple of other points;

• QM2's age demographic will be much closer to the OP's own than a 14 night repo on a cruise ship - which will tend older. The OP will be a long way from the youngest on-board.
  • The Lectures are better than PBS, in my view. When can you ask a PBS talk questions?
  • The Library is orders of magnitude bigger than anything else at sea.

But there we go....because of something that will affect (and not even that seriously) under a tenth of the voyage.....they will miss the greatest ship in the world. Pity.

Peter, thank you for the most reasonable post on this thread. It is a shame that the OP was put off by the remarks of so many. Perhaps he will come back and see your post and reconsider.

Was in Shreve's today - was reminded of the cup given to Samuel by the people of Boston.

The whole reason for crossing with Cunard and QM2 is history and what a rich history.

Should one wish to cross (the only way as Mr Maxtone-Graham put it) QM2 is the only game in town - she is the only OCEAN LINER in service in the world.

QV and QE are just tarted up versions of the HAL Vista Class ships (sorry folks, but true) - I could say something about pitt bulls and lipstick but I won't (might offend a demograhic)

I would say to the OP go for it - take QM2 - she is unique - they said QE2 was the last of the breed - Mickey gave us one more - enjoy - the destination IS the ship!

Go for the experience of QM2 - that's why I did Concorde on both BA and AF when I could (AF had a better meal service but BA won on service - forget about the meal).

I will now get off my soapbox:D

Crane, how I miss Concorde, she was the very best, the champers and the fortnum & mason chocolates, we have been so lucky to flown her, can say for AF, but BAs service was special.

An Icon as is QM2 and QE2 and may favorite Queen mary.

rob

• 3 months later...

I completely understand where the original posters are coming from. I am in exactly the same position as them. I have no interest in the formal side but want to do the QM2 because it's short, is from NYC, what a way to leave the U.S. and I am moving home.

I detest flying but fancy a nice 5-6 day cruise back to the U.K. as we move home.

I just want somewhere nice to bunk, a large ship to wander around and a great view as we leave new york. I have zero interest in dressing up especially as we are leaving a diplomatic posting where we dress up ALL the time. So it's nothing to do with the ship but I have rather an aversion to dressing up personally although I am happy to watch others.

I will have a nice summer jacket and chinos so wont look like a complete slob but we will also be coming from 2 months driving around the Great parks and hiking so I wont be bringing a dinner suit.

I think I will book the QM2. I have no cares about standing out as being too casual. I wont be wearing shorts but I generally dress business casual or chinos and long sleeved shirts rolled up.

• 4 weeks later...
IMHO I think the Queen Mary 2 is about your only choice for a conventional or regularly-scheduled transatlantic voyage, and it is a spectacular ship, and large enough to provide many choices or, in your case, non-choices. You could take a Queen's Grill cabin or whatever and just stay there if you wish, in your casual clothes, ordering via the Butler, except for dining occasionally in the Queen's Grill at night according to the posted dress code. You could venture down to the King's Court at night in elegant casual for a meal in one of the venues there, several of which take reservations for special meals at night. Casual or Elegant Casual dress is certainly appropriate during the daytime on the Queen Mary 2. But as you read the brochures you will realize that the Queen Mary 2 is a traditional Cunard vessel, Formal (which includes a dark business suit with tie if you wish) being the dress code in most parts of the ship after 6 p.m. on about every four out of seven nights and you cannot expect --- no matter how "unusual" your tastes are --- to ask a zebra to change its stripes. Having Money and Time has nothing to do with it. It is not the Queen Mary 2 that is being tested.

Well spoke, especially the part about it's not the Queen Mary that's being tested.

I suppose the OP has long since made the choice and I hope it worked out well. But I have a question. On formal night does one dress for King's Court as well? What about in the one buffet offering in King's Court on those nights? We've never yet done other than Britannia in the evening.

Personally I think that I would be missing out if I didn't dress because the evening meal is so special and the entertainment in the theatre and the ballroom music and dancing really tops it off. There's also a bit of 'we're paying for it so let's get the value out of it' aspect.

Now for some fun...Some folks don't like to dress up because they were required to at work or 'all their lives' or whatever. Fine. I'm sitting here in longjohns after coming in from chores and enjoying a nice Saturday breakfast so maybe that's why occasionally I like to dress differently. Those that I meet at work generally respond with a burp and then start chewing their cud to any attempt at starting a conversation. Sometimes they even lick out their nostrils with their tongue. So I don't have real high expectations but that behaviour could cause me to change tables if I was all dressed up.:eek:

Those that I meet at work generally respond with a burp and then start chewing their cud to any attempt at starting a conversation. Sometimes they even lick out their nostrils with their tongue.

Are you a veterinarian?

I do like posters humour, obviously he works with cows, or was it person at the end of the table on my last cruise. - just joking.

I do accept that every one has a differrent view, but I do find it hard to resist a sigh when someone "chooses" the QM2, then immediately starts saying"they do not want to follow the standards "the lady" expects. There are so many other lines out there is they are not happy with QM2 "rules" and if cost is not a problem, then why not fly over in First or Business class. where there is no dress codes. and one is not expected to interact with other passengers at meals.

Hi, As another Bay Area'n of a certain age who understands your concerns, and as someone who hasn't yet been on QM2 or Cunard and has a trip coming up in September, I base my reply on my TA experience with HAL which also trends older and more formal. I found people were pretty relaxed all in all. How can you not be relaxed on a Transatlantic crossing?

From everything I've read, this is a relatively sophisticated bunch and you'd probably fit in quite nicely. A lot of people go on Cunard for the tradition and that's why folks adhere to the more formal dress codes (as well as the fact that some just find it fun and/or elegant). It's your ticket. You don't have to dine in the main dining rooms on formal nights if dressing formally is not something prefer to do.

Since this is the only real oceanliner plying the Atlantic, I hope you and your wife decide to do it. It's also a good thing to have more Bay Area folks on the crossings!

Cheers.

As a fellow Californian, transplanted decades ago to the East Coast, I thought I'd put in an appearance to encourage the OP to take the beautiful QM2 to Europe. Simply put, she is not to be missed for so many reasons. I'd pack a suit and tie and some simple elegant ladies clothing one can dress up with scarves and jewelry, and join in the fun. Take a grill suite as you seem to be able to do that having sailed on the Voyager, and enjoy the pleasure of dining in quiet, very pleasant surroundings on your own time schedule. It's so very different from the Voyager, which is very pleasant. Just leaving New York City on the QM2 is a spectacular experience, with small boats following, the New York Police helicopter circling, horns blowing, people waving from shore...All this as you pass Lady Liberty and reflect on the many souls who saw her as they arrived from Europe as my great-great grandfather did. On board, you will find so many enjoyable diversions...the planatarium, the library, the pub for a lovely lunch, the teak decks for strolling, marvelous lectures of substance. Do go and focus on all this grand ship has to offer. I have taken many TA's on other ships, but the QM2 is memorable, exciting, relaxing. A joy to sail. I love San Francisco, the city of my youth, and I adore the QM2. I hope you will, too, if you decide to sail on her to Europe.

On our very recent QM2 world cruise segments there were those who chose not to dress as per the dress code for dinner. The staff have been told apparently, not to say anything to those passengers lest they offend. The world didn't end. There were no mutinies over the issue to my recollection.

The guest speakers were not to my taste.

There are wonderful lounges to sit, read and relax during the day i.e. the Chart Room or the Wintergarden.

The planetarium only has 4, 20 minute ish shows that are shown on different days usually.

The average age is 60 according to Cunard although on the world cruise I'd say it was 70+.

As a 44 year old on the QM2 back in 2006 I found that it was NOT imperitive to dress up even on the formal nights. Our table had 2 older couples that have obviously cruised Cunard and other "higher end" lines. Both the ladies wore what I would call "nice tops and skirts". Even on the dress up nights, while my Mother and I agonized about how to carry all the sparkly dresses in luggage that we could actually manage ourselves, one lady wore just a nice cardigan and the other a fancy top and nice slacks. No one on the staff said anything at all. Even later in the evening the "cardigan lady" and her husband were tripping the light fantastic on the ballroom floor, again not a mention was made of her attire. Both husbands did wear jackets and ties, but to be quite frank I have no recall if they wore suits or just blazers. I do remember one of the ladies saying that they didn't really dress much on any cruise that they go on, and I kind of liked her attitude.

Hope the OP takes the cruise, I managed to find places on the decks to myself (ok, it was on cooler, windy days....)

It's April and I'm guessing the OP has made other arrangements to get to Europe. I also think it's a shame because as he described his plans, he would have managed just fine on the QM2.

Sauer-kraut....I have done exactly the same with my mom. :) One was a trip exactly as the OP described, 6 days of QE2 clothes and then Europe for 3 weeks where those clothes were just "baggage".

We have only, so far, done 3 trips on the QM2 for a total of 45 days. On all three trips we saw everything imaginable in the way of dress....although, overall, the ship kept the integrity of really nicely dressed passengers. Sometimes I think just "nicely dressed" goes a long way. I've seen some beautiful outfits, elegant sweater, elegant evening pants, that look way better than some contrived idea of latest fashion that passes for formal. On our last cruise, mini black formal dress, leather ankle boots, leather collar.......... Black silk combat jumper, silk T shirt, black boots. That's not my idea of formal for ladies but it certainly adheres to Cunard's dress code for ladies.

Possibly that's why men's dress code is so important. :D

Archived