Tired of RCI Cutbacks? Try Holland America...

GMoney

I don't think anyone has mentioned that on Holland you can always find a lounger (at least on the cruises I've taken with them) because the old folks do not sit out in the sun too much. No problem with chair hogs!!!

True but it can get crowded in the ships mortuary! :eek: :p

My point, what's important to one........ I only sail the larger ships, so I will have the diamond lounge, the only coupons they took away I never used, no loss there for me. So, while I have been paying attention, I thought maybe you knew of something that really did make a difference, not so much!

I think you are missing the point.

Pax continued to rebook with RCI expecting certain perks for doing so.

You may think the current changes aren't a big deal but usually when they make those kinds of changes, however minor you think they are, they can be a precursor to more "important" changes later.

I think RCI is testing the waters with their current changes in order to measure what will happen if they continue and make more changes to their reward system. Those future changes may affect you.:)

We were on the Westerdam Thanksgiving '05..nice balcony cabin,terrific verandah...we were 53 & 51 my wife & I...average age was death or close to 70.Average passenger MUST have been 20 years older than us...ship was new & nice BUT here were my cons:

1) Food VERY mediocre in MDR..ate twice in the Pinnacle Grill-1st time we waited 45 minutes for our salads,70 min before main course came.Good food & service but no better than Chops & Portifinos and certainly not better than NCL's Le Bistro,where the escargots and fruit fondue w/hot chocolate BY itself is worth the crummy $15...

2) Hated not having that deck above the main pool deck to sun bathe because HAL has a retractable roof there so you can't hang out there (similar to deck 12 on Voyager/Freedom ships )

3) Entertainment in the show lounge was pretty bad,but the oldies band in the Crow's Nest was good....

Pros:

1) Cabin spacious & comfy

2) Aft pool area very nice THOUGH hot tubs were busted/cold ALL week

3) HMC,the private island is my 2nd favorite after Disney's Castaway Cay...

Overall we thought HAL was OK,but food,service,entertainment certainly no better than other cruise lines...we've done all major 8 except Costa ( there are 9 if you include MSC,who are growing..) ...We like that they go to Grand Turk,St.Maarten/St.Thomas,and HMC for Eastern,which we prefer over Western.As I get older,the idea of fewer teens & kids isn't so bad,but sometimes I thought HAL passengers,especially here on CC are a bit aggressive,unfairly loyal to ONLY HAL and bash all others,and are very traditional in terms of MDR attire,formal wear,set dining times,etc....all of which I have very leniant/progressive beliefs in..We're Diamond,but we believe variety is the spice of life..just as we don't stay at only one hotel chain,we also don't exclusively cruise on RCI.....

Big Al

You may think the current changes aren't a big deal but usually when they make those kinds of changes, however minor you think they are, they can be a precursor to more "important" changes later.

I think RCI is testing the waters with their current changes in order to measure what will happen if they continue and make more changes to their reward system. Those future changes may affect you.:)

If they do affesct me, so be it. I don't cruise for those perks. I do understand that in economic times like these, cuts have to be made. I would much rather give up these silly little perks that people are so worried about than have the prices go so high that cruising becomes a vacation for the wealthy only! I don't cruise with RCL in order to get these perks, I cruise with them because they fit my wants!

If they do affesct me, so be it. I don't cruise for those perks. I do understand that in economic times like these, cuts have to be made. I would much rather give up these silly little perks that people are so worried about than have the prices go so high that cruising becomes a vacation for the wealthy only! I don't cruise with RCL in order to get these perks, I cruise with them because they fit my wants!

And that is fine.

Fact is that alot of cruiselines are cutting back without biting the hand that feeds them...mainly their loyal return pax. Seems like RCI is banking on loyality from their pax and feels that dumbing down their perks won't be the deal breaker. So they will channel their money elsewhere and try and lure new pax in order to fill ships like the Oasis.

What will happen is that pax will start looking for more bang for their buck and RCI may lose out in the long run if they continue to shred their loyalty programs.

I've known quite a few RCI "loyalists" who are now cruising different lines. RCI may not care about losing them as customers right now, but one day they may miss them.

And that is fine.

Fact is that alot of cruiselines are cutting back without biting the hand that feeds them...mainly their loyal return pax. Seems like RCI is banking on loyality from their pax and feels that dumbing down their perks won't be the deal breaker. So they will channel their money elsewhere and try and lure new pax in order to fill ships like the Oasis.

What will happen is that pax will start looking for more bang for their buck and RCI may lose out in the long run if they continue to shred their loyalty programs.

I've known quite a few RCI "loyalists" who are now cruising different lines. RCI may not care about losing them as customers right now, but one day they may miss them.

I don't think you have anything factual to base that on. As r as the perks go, RCL still has the best program, cutting back on chocolates,and a few minor things in the coupon book really doesn't come close to making me change my opinion of RCL. The other cruise lines may not be cutting back on their loyality programs because their is not enough to cut back on to brgin with!

I don't have a lot of cruising experience, but I would agree with some posters, they are just different. Yes, I do think HAL is more sedate, but this was a cruise in which i really needed to relax. For my children, I would choose RCCL over HAL, but who knows what the future holds.

I did like on HAL vs. RCCL:

fewer announcements

that you can bring wine on board

larger staterooms (oceanview)

Depending on who I am traveling with and what I want out of the cruise...that will determine who I go with.

Excellent reply. Sometimes what isn't important to one person may very well be to another. Since it isn't bothering this person, they obviously haven't removed whatever it is that she/he is interested in. When they happens I expect to hear another tone.

I am D+ - I haven't lost much, however I did like the free photo which always caused me to buy 2 or 3 more - now I don't buy any. I also liked the free drink as I do have my daily drink or two, now, not so much.

YOu are correct - I too believe there will be other cuts.

I don't think you have anything factual to base that on. As r as the perks go, RCL still has the best program, cutting back on chocolates,and a few minor things in the coupon book really doesn't come close to making me change my opinion of RCL. The other cruise lines may not be cutting back on their loyality programs because their is not enough to cut back on to brgin with!

I disagree.

Fact is that the economy is in the dumper and competition is fierce to fill ships.

Fact is that RCI enjoys return pax because of their formerly generous loyalty program. They 've cut it and count on pax who are close to the next level of status to hang in there and have funnelled the money elsewhere. That may work for the moment but loyalty will only go so far.

Fact is that most have noticed the change in the coupon booklets. They also have noticed the lack of returning guest "gifts" and all of the little things that were understated but always noticed.(Choclates on the pillows). All of those things do add up to the RCI "experience" and some pax are noticing those changes.

Fact is that RCI isn't afraid to change their loyalty programs at any time. They have proven that. If they think they can fill their ships with newbies the loyalists will continue to pay the price.

Excellent reply. Sometimes what isn't important to one person may very well be to another. Since it isn't bothering this person, they obviously haven't removed whatever it is that she/he is interested in. When they happens I expect to hear another tone.

I am D+ - I haven't lost much, however I did like the free photo which always caused me to buy 2 or 3 more - now I don't buy any. I also liked the free drink as I do have my daily drink or two, now, not so much.

YOu are correct - I too believe there will be other cuts.

The cost of one free drink and a free picture are nothing! How can you say that anyone is correct as far as what they think MIGHT happen? That's a guess, nobody knows what the future holds! As far as what I'm interested in, I'm intrerested in see RCL be successful so I can keep sailing them! The money they will save with these petty cut-backs can help towards that goal!

The cost of one free drink and a free picture are nothing! How can you say that anyone is correct as far as what they think MIGHT happen? That's a guess, nobody knows what the future holds! As far as what I'm interested in, I'm intrerested in see RCL be successful so I can keep sailing them! The money they will save with these petty cut-backs can help towards that goal!

Assumptions can and are made all the time. The assumption that RCL will continue to water down their product is a pretty good one actually. The have watered down so much now, there probably isn't too much left to water down.

As for the cost of anything - it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with anything - it's a matter of appreciation - RCL used to show it appreciation now they are no longer interested in showing their appreciation so they have removed the thank you. It really doesn't have a thing to do with the value of the thank you.

If course, there are some that will make any excuse for the watering down of the product. When they had you a pail and tell you to start bailing, you'll still be on a cruise, so I guess you won't mind, will you..

I did say that I didn't think you had an axe to grind and that I believed your post. I will add however that if you feel something was bad enough to report as such here, I would think it would be bad enough to report to the appropriate personal. While the dining room staff has a responsibility to serve the meals, they also expected to do it in a friendly manner. If you found them rude I imagine the appropriate people would want to know that. As far as the cabin steward, she obviously needs to be reported again , measures like that are what prevent the next passengers from having the same problem. Something can't be fixed if it's not known that it's broken.
I only intended to confirm your statement that I don't have an axe to grind with RC, and we did complain while onboard. We originally were discussing the problems with the steward in the CL with some other passengers and the concierge overheard. He had the head of housekeeping contact us. We explained the situation to her and it improved for about 2 days then got even worse than before. We complained to her again and it got even worse, to the point that the steward didn't even come to our cabin. We decided that complaining wasn't doing us any good so we quit complaining, but I wrote a long note about it, mentioning both the steward's name and the head of housekeeping's name, that I attached it to the comment card. About a week after we returned home, I got a call from a Royal Caribbean rep who asked for more details and said they were looking into the situation. I have no idea what happened after that.

I admit the service situation as well as the cancellation of two cruises did temporarily sour me towards RC. I had heard good things about HAL's service and their Caribbean itinerary was enough to make me decide to give them a try when looking for a replacement for the second cancelled RC cruise. The good service on my HAL cruise, their better itinerary for the Panama Canal partial cruise, and lower price made me open to taking a second HAL cruise.

Assumptions can and are made all the time. The assumption that RCL will continue to water down their product is a pretty good one actually. The have watered down so much now, there probably isn't too much left to water down.

As for the cost of anything - it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with anything - it's a matter of appreciation - RCL used to show it appreciation now they are no longer interested in showing their appreciation so they have removed the thank you. It really doesn't have a thing to do with the value of the thank you.

If course, there are some that will make any excuse for the watering down of the product. When they had you a pail and tell you to start bailing, you'll still be on a cruise, so I guess you won't mind, will you..

We all know what happens when one assumes!

We've been on RCL Voyager of the Seas and several HCL ships. This month completed 14 day aboard the Eurodam, boarded in Quebec City, ended Ft Lauderdale.

We much more prefer HCL. The food is MUCH better. We always get a deluxe Verandah Suite, pricey but we love the extra space and bath. Also ALL the extras that go with the suite like the private Neptune Lounge. Many others, and free laundry is included. We also like the age of the people, they make us feel younger. ;)

Our bed on the Voyager of the Seas was terrible. We had a Junior Suite with verandah , the couch was like sitting in the floor. I will say it is a beautiful ship. We have a family Christmas cruise booked and hope they have replaced the mattresses. Best we like about Voyager of the Sea is we can easily drive to Galveston and don't have to mess with flying.

If you are a C&A member, you can cruise in ANY cabin and get the benefits attributable to your rank. You don't have to pay for a suite.

And personally, I don't, and never have needed a concierge, I know how to dial a telephone. IMO, and I'll be a bit harsh, some of those whining about the loss of the concierge services really just miss someone falling all over you and sucking up to you.

i hope that was a sincere suggestion and not the usual cheap attempt at flame. We clearly have different expectations. I expect good service and be delightfully surprise if it's great. I expect a meal that is palatable but pray for one that is memorable. No, i don't cruise for the food because i know cooking for thousands i will get banquet at best. As for service, i am easy to please and don't demand much. About all, i hope to get what i pay for and at $529 for a hump balcony, coming home with a few extra pounds, making new friends, and see an old place i love dearly or new ones, pretty much meets that expectation.

It's all about attitude and expecation.....bitter and better and here i make the difference. I am still at the tender age where this old dog is capable of learning new tricks;) i am old enough to know that you get what you pay for and thanks to this kind of vacation, it's a lot! Be careful when you use the word always, you will be usually wrong, as you are now. Some people cruise for the ship, the food, the ports, to be away from home, for the blessed feeling of being on open seas. You learn that if you are one who cruise to meet people.

Hmmm, my mind is open but your post said nothing to enlighten me but i can be patient. Next time use the word sometimes instead of always it may bring some validity to your idea!

wow!!!

This is not meant to start a debate on the combining of benefits but do you also consider it "a petty cut-back" that if you use a balcony discount you cannot use a C&A savings certificate or a stockholder benefit OBC or that you loose your OBC for booking a next cruise while aboard ship? In my world a few hundred dollars doesn't fall in the catagory of petty.

This is not meant to start a debate on the combining of benefits but do you also consider it "a petty cut-back" that if you use a balcony discount you cannot use a C&A savings certificate or a stockholder benefit OBC or that you loose your OBC for booking a next cruise while aboard ship? In my world a few hundred dollars doesn't fall in the catagory of petty.

Despite by their short comings RCCL is still my favorite line but the removql of combining discounts has leveled the playing field.The C&A coupons are virtually worthless,having stock is worthless.Seems to me the loyalty program is only the best in the business if you are diamond plus and that only is if you are a big drinker.We will still sail once a year or so but before their bennies were so good looking elsewhere was a waste of time ,now it isn't

:cj

Despite by their short comings RCCL is still my favorite line but the removql of combining discounts has leveled the playing field.The C&A coupons are virtually worthless,having stock is worthless.Seems to me the loyalty program is only the best in the business if you are diamond plus and that only is if you are a big drinker.We will still sail once a year or so but before their bennies were so good looking elsewhere was a waste of time ,now it isn't

:cj

I agree with you. RCI is still my favorite cruise line as I love their ships. But they have leveled the playing field. That is sort of a double edge sword for RCI. Will it bring in more revenue by eliminating discounts or will that be negated by people who would not have previously looked elsewhere now considering other cruise lines. I have no idea what the answer to that question is.

With TAs being able to discount other cruise lines and with it getting harder and harder to see new islands on RCI's caribbean itineraries it does make me more likely to consider alternatives. Advancing in levels of the C&A program is of little to no weight in making my decisions now.

Nor does it in mine. If someone takes something away from me I expect them to have a legitimate reason and so far, RCL hasn't come up with one.

Archived