Royal Caribbean vs. HAL?

newbie cruzer

We are planning our first cruise (ever) to Alaska in August (See my earlier post...)

First, thanks to everyone who replied to my questions. We've narrowed our trip to a R/T from Vancouver 7 day cruise, inside passage, either on HAL Zaandam or RCI Serenade of the Seas. I've heard HAL is nicer, but maybe that RCI would be better for our 2 children, ages 9 and 13 (I've heard HAL caters to an older clientele???) Our kids are generally well-behaved and we usually stay at nicer hotels and resorts when travelling,so that's not the issue. It's more what would be more fun for them - more activities, more kids, etc.

Also, the HAL goes to Glacier Bay, while the RCI goes to Hubbard Glacier. My husband has heard from a friend that you MUST go to Glacier Bay on an Alaskan cruise - otherwise, don't bother. TRUE????

AUGGH!!! Too much info:) I could use a little more help here!!!

Many thanks!

Lee

This will be your first cruise to Alaska not your last, with kids I would go with RCCL also the price is just alittle better. And since you haven't seen a glacier what will you have to compare it too. Good luck on your final choice, and let us know which one you chose.

I have cruised with both HAL and RCI. We too are going to Alaska in August and have chosen the Serenade of the Seas primarily because we are bringing the kids (ages 6 and 13). I did A LOT of research on the ships and not many of HAL's ships in Alaska (only 1, if I recall) have the wide variety of kids programs/facilities that RCI has. We figure we are going to give up something (like seeing Glacier Bay or Anchorage), but having happy and entertained kids will make for a much happier vacation for everyone!

Plus, we got a great rate on the Serenade as part of the group cruise through Cruise Critic. And, there are already 4 or 5 13-year old girls going as part of the group, making our 13-year old very excited as she will already have some built-in friends to hang with (she is shy and takes awhile to make friends). The 6-year old just wants to be in Adventure Ocean all the time!

Good luck in your decision.

I booked our spring break cruise on the Zaandam. We are taking two teenagers. I choose this ship because of the signature of excellence features that are being added. One of the things they are refurbishing is the kids club. You can't find pictures of the Zaandam refurbished yet, but you can find pictures of the Ryndam that was just refurbished. Some HAL ships have new mattresses, linens, bath towels and robes that everyone is raving about. I think the Zaandam has them. I would also check the shore excursions. HAL offers excursions for kids only, not sure how old they have to be.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your decision.

Your kids will have a great time on any line, make your choices based on the adult priorities. I found HAL to have an excellent kids program, superior to RCI, comparing them both with Alaska sailings. One opinion only. :) But don't worry!

Archived