Parasailing for the "young at heart"

crusin mom n daughter

Greetings from Ontario, Canada!

Am planning a Dec.6th cruise with Royal Caribbean "Adventurer" with my 72yr old mother who is in fairly good shape. She is very excited and has recently expressed a great desire to para sail for the first time in her life. This news was quite shocking, I must admit.

For those of you who have experience para-sailing, is this something do-able for this age group ... I'm 44 and have never tried myself, but I have some concern over the take off and landings with her in mind. Is there much stress and strain on the legs? Although she can walk several miles without difficulty, her knees give her problems intermittently (especially when kneeling, she may have difficulty getting up ... but once up, there's not much that will knock her down. Also, she has had a previous broken ankle some years ago, but it's healed nicely.

Should I try to persuade her to a different excursion or do you feel she is suitably equipped to "go for her heart's desire"! :rolleyes:

Would greatly appreciate you advice.

Thanks

For parasailing, you get in the boat... the crew gives a hand to help you with your balance if necessary. Once on the boat they give you the vest and stuff to put on, you can sit most of the time while doing that. To lift off you sit with your legs straight out on the back of the boat... so no strain there. You lift off from the vest/holder thing... no strain on arms or body to hold onto anything. You can opt for a dip (in the ocean) when coming back in... usually this is up to your chest and its a soft landing in the water... not a crash or anything. And then coming back on the boat, its a pretty gentle landing. They tell you how to position your legs when coming in and the crew guides you onto the back of the boat in a seated position... so again no strain on legs/feet/ankles. I'd suggest contacting the parasailing outfit on St. Croix just to double check things with them: http://www.stcroixparasailing.com/.

--Islander

Wow .... sound quite effortless.

Perhaps I should work on my "fear of heights" and give the "young at heart" her thrill of a lifetime!

The website indicates that you may be partnered with someone other than your family member ..... is this a weight issue? Must both parties be of a similar weight for balance, or simply the combined weight not exceed their maximum limit?

Thanks for your detailed post. Much appreciated!

It has to do with a few things... number of people on the trip, weight, wind are the ones that come to mind. If its a little windy they might need people to go in tandem to balance the weight... and if this is the case and there were two groups of 3 each then maybe one from each group might end up going together.

--Islander

We just returned from Adventure of the Seas that sailed on October 11, 2009.

We did the parasailing excursion with Cruzan Breeze Parasailing that we booked through the ship. What a super nice group of folks. I had emailed with some questions I had and Dillon responded quickly. cruzanbreezeparasailing@gmail.com. Really nice guy and would be happy to answer any questions you have.

I too am scared of heights and also have a really bad back, but it was no problem going up parasailing. You are so into the whats going on around you when you get on the boat. Then once your up, the view is so awesome, you don't think about it. I even managed to wave a couple of times!

I don't think your mom would have any problems. Have fun!

Sorry, forgot to add.

When taking off and landing, you sit on the deck on the back of the boat. With my back, the first mate helped me up and down, no problem. It did get a little windy with the last group, and they landed standing up, but it was gentle.

Here is the phone number if you would rather call them than email. Dillon is the owner.

Dillon Pieffer

Cruzan Breeze Parasailing, LLC

P.O. Box 26123

Christiansted, VI 00824

(340)642-0723

Would I be able to take photos as I am parasailing of would I need both hands to hold on? Is there someone on the boat who wold take photos of me and DH parasailing?

love2vacation - my husband took a disposable underwater camera up with us and took some great pics. He just looped his arm around the strap to snap pics. I wouldn't take my good camera. Even sitting in the boat, the spray coming over the side got everyone wet. Be sure to wear a bathing suit or bring a change of cloths, just in case (don't forget sunscreen, the sun was pretty intense).

There were 12 folks on the excursion. I'm sure someone on the boat wouldn't mind taking pics while you are parasailing.

love2vacation - my husband took a disposable underwater camera up with us and took some great pics. He just looped his arm around the strap to snap pics. I wouldn't take my good camera. Even sitting in the boat, the spray coming over the side got everyone wet. Be sure to wear a bathing suit or bring a change of cloths, just in case (don't forget sunscreen, the sun was pretty intense).

There were 12 folks on the excursion. I'm sure someone on the boat wouldn't mind taking pics while you are parasailing.

THANKS! I am so excited about this excursion. :p I appreciate your tips. I have been thinking about getting one of those waterprrof packs for my older camera.

You have all had a part in clarifying the technique of parasailing. I did take your advice and email Dillon (who very quickly responded), assuring me that we should have no concerns over parasailing for those spunky individuals who are "young at heart". We have since booked with Dillon through the ship excursion.

Cheers from Ontario, Canada ... (where we are enjoying our "Indian summer". Today, Nov.8th, it is 20c !! Next week we'll likely have a foot of snow ... !

• 2 months later...

We want to parasail on St. Croix and are being told by Cruzan Breeze that we have to make a reservation through the cruise line. I do not like doing it this way, too restrictive. Any ideas or suggestions on how we can do this? Thanks

Marcia

Archived