Sailing the Med in November

Scotchick

As Yogi said, Weather Underground has historical data for most common cruise destinations.

We did an Eastern Med cruise on Splendour [Venice, Dubrovnik, Kusadesi, Santorini, Corfu] in Nov. 2007. Our cruise was 7 days beginning 10 Nov. The weather was great for touring; seeing sights, visiting ruins, walking around cities, and that sort of thing. I wouldn't plan on a lot of sunbathing or beach activities. You will likely see the sun, but it will be a bit chilly for water activities or sitting out [even in the sun]. We experienced 50s-60s for the most part. A light jacket was great, and even a bit much for Kusadesi [where I think it got close to 80 and was sunny]. The jacket I wore was[is] water proof, so it doubled as a rain jacket. Having said that, I don't recall much [if any] rain during the cruise. We saw some during our flight layover in Frankfurt [as well as cooler temperatures]. I would recommend a small umbrella. I also recommend packing layers so you can adjust -- after all, this is a transitional season of the year. I took a heavy pullover sweater so I could make my light jacket warmer if need be. I also took some light gloves. Other than Frankfurt, the sweater and gloves weren't necessary.

We enjoyed it immensely and recommend the time of year. It is great for touring and you don't have to fight summer crowds. Hope you enjoy your cruise as well.

As Yogi said, Weather Underground has historical data for most common cruise destinations.

We did an Eastern Med cruise on Splendour [Venice, Dubrovnik, Kusadesi, Santorini, Corfu] in Nov. 2007. Our cruise was 7 days beginning 10 Nov. The weather was great for touring; seeing sights, visiting ruins, walking around cities, and that sort of thing. I wouldn't plan on a lot of sunbathing or beach activities. You will likely see the sun, but it will be a bit chilly for water activities or sitting out [even in the sun]. We experienced 50s-60s for the most part. A light jacket was great, and even a bit much for Kusadesi [where I think it got close to 80 and was sunny]. The jacket I wore was[is] water proof, so it doubled as a rain jacket. Having said that, I don't recall much [if any] rain during the cruise. We saw some during our flight layover in Frankfurt [as well as cooler temperatures]. I would recommend a small umbrella. I also recommend packing layers so you can adjust -- after all, this is a transitional season of the year. I took a heavy pullover sweater so I could make my light jacket warmer if need be. I also took some light gloves. Other than Frankfurt, the sweater and gloves weren't necessary.

We enjoyed it immensely and recommend the time of year. It is great for touring and you don't have to fight summer crowds. Hope you enjoy your cruise as well.

Kusadasi in the 80's sounds lovely! I think it was about 100 when I

was there in late September.

The Med in October can still be very hot indeed. I was on the Galaxy last year in early to mid October and the further south we went - the hotter it got! The only time it rained was when docking in Messina and leaving Messina! (It really did rain heavily too!) I am sailing on the Splendour of the Seas on the 31st Oct so I have been following the weather with interest.... should be warmer than the UK in any case! lol :)

Kusadasi in the 80's sounds lovely! I think it was about 100 when I

was there in late September.

In the interest of full disclosure, I said I thought it was getting close to 80. My specific memory is that after lunch, I was uncomfortable wearing my light jacket so I left it on the bus when we stopped. Judging from my tolerance for heat, I am guessing it was getting close to 80. However, I looked up the day we were there on weather underground, and it says the high that day was only 61. I don't think I would have been leaving my jacket on the bus if that is as warm as it got. WU also says there were thunderstorms. I don't remember that either. I do remember a few puddles, so maybe it rained in the early morning before we left the ship.

The next day in Santorini, I decided to leave my jacket on the ship. Big mistake. The wind on top of the cliff was a bit chilly in shirt sleeves. And WU says it was warmer than in Kusadasi. [68 compared to 61].

Bottom line, a light jacket and you should be fine. I would not shy away from November because of the weather.

For those interested in November sea states, we had one rough stretch due to high winds -- the night we were traveling from Santorini to Corfu. The Captain in his Q&A session a couple of days later said we had traveled through "hurricane force winds." I don't know if I believe that or not. If it was, it was only marginally so. It was noticeably rough that night, but neither DW nor I were even close to sea sick. DW woke up and said she was scared. I asked if there was anything she or I could do about it and, after she conceded there was not, I suggested [gently and lovingly of course] that she go back to sleep. I don't recall seeing any deck closures or sea sick bags either.

Archived