What's near the pier?

jcastro1202

Hi everyone. My husband-to-be and I will be traveling to Antigua on the Caribbean Princess for our honeymoon in March. I have all of my other ports planned out, but Antigua seems to be the one that has me stumped. What's near the pier? We would like to maybe take a scenic drive and maybe stop and eat some local food. Any suggestions?:)

Personally I would recommend a tour that includes the Historic Park sites (Nelson's Dockyard, Shirley Heights, The Blockhouse, Dows Hill Interpretation Centre). The views from Shirley Heights, Dows Hill and the Blockouse are excellent - very good photo ops.

Personally I would recommend a tour that includes the Historic Park sites

(Nelson's Dockyard, Shirley Heights, The Blockhouse, Dows Hill Interpretation Centre).

The views from Shirley Heights, Dows Hill and the Blockouse are excellent

- very good photo ops.

Do what he suggests!

And when you get back from the above scenic tour

then you can do the shops in the near-pier area. ;)

Totally agree with above!! I have been to Antigua twice and around the pier is just some shops, nothing exciting!!! This last time (09/2009) we hired Gordon and he was great. He took us on an island tour and we went to Shirley Heights, Devil's Bridge, a local market, a beach stop and we also went ziplining!!! We went to a few other places but at the moment it escapes me!!! The website to check out is tourguidegordon dot com. He is accomodating and provided us with some local snacks, fruits and beverages (including the local beer). Definitely check him out!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I was completely unimpressed with the shops and restaurants near the pier, and those away from the pier were quite shabby. But if you have a chance, you might want to visit St. John's Cathedral, which is on a hill just a few blocks from the pier. Old, interesting. The day I was there they were conducting a funeral service, which added an inspirational note.

Archived