Anyone used Lindblad Expeditions, National Geographic Explorer?

40cub

40cub,

We sailed on the NG Explorer to the Arctic this past summer. The NG Explorer is a great ship. It has nice décor with a more upscale feel than I would expect from an expedition ship. It is very well designed and very comfortable. There are many common areas and outside viewing areas. There is an open bridge policy which is another great place to hang out and view the surroundings.

Because it is an expedition, it is fine to be casual on board all of the time. No "dress-up" is required or expected.

We thought the food and service was wonderful.

I think most of the guides/naturalists are probably the best in the business. Many have been around for a long time.

We had originally considered one or two others for Antarctica next year, but after sailing on the NG Explorer this year, we definitely wanted to choose them again.

I would be happy to answer any questions.

Definitely agree with HOBSE - we were on a 4 week B2B on NGE this summer - Around British Isles and on to the North Cape itin up to the Arctic. Lindblad has an extraordinary group of naturalists and others on board, including NG photographers and lecturers - it is a priceless experience. The ship is is up scale - a number of rooms actually have balconies! While Lindblad is not inexpensive, you get what you pay for! Also has a fascinating passenger mix. Had dinner several nights with an astronaut who piloted the space shuttle 3 times - he was a passenger, not a lecturer!

• 2 years later...

On the verge of committing to Lindblad NG Explorer Artic expedition this summer. so glad to discover Cruise Critic. all the exchanges are very, very helpful. Any veteran Explorer cruiser have opinion about the quality of the beds. We would be in a level 3 cabin with two single beds. Soft, hard? Any opinion would be helpful. Thank you.

We took Lindblad in the Galapagos some years ago. Fabulous cruise. The ship was older, but good. (It's no longer in service) What made the cruise fabulous was the expertise and friendliness of the guides/naturalists. They couldn't have been better. We are slowly prepping o go to Antarctica and Lindlbad will be high on my list. I am struck, however, by the enormous prices of their cruises. LittleRedJohn.

• 1 month later...
Looking for an adventure cruise possibly to the Antarctica in a newer vessel with good amenities and quality guides. This sounds like the ticket, but we'd love some feedback!

I have just finished a Cape Horn to Cape of Good Hope repo expedition on the NGE, via Falklands and South Georgia. This was my second time with NGE to South Georgia and the Falklands, and I've also been on the Hurtigruten ship (Nordkapp) and Minerva, when she was chartered by A&K.

I kept a blog running as I went...you can read about it in the link in my signature below (2012 RTW blog entries).

The cabins and beds are comfortable...the food is generally good (buffet breakfast and lunch, 3 course dinner with 2-3 options), but you don't go for the food! The bathrooms are well-designed (my favourite part of the ship - walk in shower!), and there is plenty of storage space. The naturalists are usually exceptional - there are usually 2-4 lectures a day if that is your thing. The bridge is open (sometimes closed with the Chilean pilots are on board entering and leaving Ushuaia).

NGE isn't a cruise ship, so don't expect dancing girls and evening entertainment!

Archived