Paper Luggage Tags

MrsCruiseBabe

Is it just me, or is anyone else sad to see the old tags go? I understand the need for cost cutting but those tags were a lovely old fashioned HAL detail. I always keep one as a souvenir of the ship & enjoy my 'pack of cards'. I looked forward to one day, having one from each ship.

Oh well, yet another change (like the tiles)!

Graham.

My upcoming cruise will be the first with the paper, self-printed tags, but as I think about it, you can cut out the parts you need, and tape them (with packing tape to make it easy) to both sides of some old luggage tag. That way you get the strength of the old-style, plastic tag, and the info from the printed tag.

In some cases, if you have them from some source, there are tags that accept business cards on each side for ID, and these should work also, and you won't need the tape.

Just another couple solutions.

P.S. My DW will miss the old tags as well, as she saved the extras for souvenirs of the trip. But then, we will just save the extra ones we print ourselves. The world moves on!

P.S. My DW will miss the old tags as well, as she saved the extras for souvenirs of the trip. But then, we will just save the extra ones we print ourselves. The world moves on!

Just ask the stevedores for a tag and keep it as a souvenir.

Here are the future instructions for Hal luggage tags. Do you think they will rip when the porters are throwing the bags on the ship ever so gently?

1ebef524ff568d12

It would be interesting to know which HAL honcho got the bonus for the "thinking outside the box" (non) luggage tag innovation. :rolleyes:

Smooth sailing...

It would be interesting to know which HAL honcho got the bonus for the "thinking outside the box" (non) luggage tag innovation. :rolleyes:

Smooth sailing...

What makes you think it was a HAL Honcho who designed the printable Baggage Tags?

Check out some of the other Boards on CC..Many of the Cruise lines are going green & are not sending out Documents or luggage tags in the normal process... Some are charging between $25 to $35 to mail them out..

Princess, NCL, Carnival, Azamara, & RCCL as well as HAL all have on-line printable luggage tags as well as luggage tags at the pier..

It looks like Celebrity Passengers can only get them at the Pier..But not positive of that..

Could not find any info on Oceania.

I suspect the design came from an outside source & sold to the cruise lines for a pretty penny!.

Betty

At first I though the printed tags would be no good but I was wrong.

We printed our tags and took our tiny stapler along.

When we arrived at the Quebec Fairmont hotel the HAL rep gave us luggage tags but we used ours and for they were already filled out.

We had not problem with using our printed paper tags. When properly folded they are very strong. When our luggage was delivered to our suite the tags looked like new.

Have no fear of the printed tags. ;)

I suspect the design came from an outside source & sold to the cruise lines for a pretty penny!.

Betty

I would have gladly sold the Cruise Line a better design for a not-quite-so-pretty penny. But they didn't ask. :( ;)

What makes you think it was a HAL Honcho who designed the printable Baggage Tags?

Check out some of the other Boards on CC..Many of the Cruise lines are going green & are not sending out Documents or luggage tags in the normal process... Some are charging between $25 to $35 to mail them out..

Princess, NCL, Carnival, Azamara, & RCCL as well as HAL all have on-line printable luggage tags as well as luggage tags at the pier..

It looks like Celebrity Passengers can only get them at the Pier..But not positive of that..

Could not find any info on Oceania.

Betty

True.

Remember when someone asked you (perhaps your parents) - if so-and-so jumped off a cliff would you have to do it too?:)

Someone came up with the idea and someone at HAL picked up on it. We will see for ourselves how well it works on our next cruise in March.

As long as you can get tags at the dock I suppose there is no real problem.

I always thought HAL went overboard (no pun intended) with the document packets they used to send out. Now it seems they have gone to the other extreme by not even sending out luggage tags, which can be done in a modest envelope.

Oh well.

Smooth sailing always...

Betty

We cruised Celebrity out of Galveston in 2005 and it was edocs back then and that included the tags. We were able to get tags at the hotel we stayed at prior to the cruise as it turned out to be one of Celebrity's pre-cruise locations. They were also available at the cruise terminal from the porters.

Is it just me, or is anyone else sad to see the old tags go? I understand the need for cost cutting but those tags were a lovely old fashioned HAL detail. I always keep one as a souvenir of the ship & enjoy my 'pack of cards'. I looked forward to one day, having one from each ship.

Oh well, yet another change (like the tiles)!

Graham.

The tags are probably not going. I think the cost cutting has to do with the price of US postage or Fed Ex rates. If you think of the thousands of passengers that cruise on HAL in a given year, that is a sizable savings amount for them not to send the blue envelopes with the luggage tags as much as I enjoyed getting the envelopes. And with cruise prices low, I can understand them trying to save money somewhere. And I would rather they cut corners on luggage tags than cut corners on meals. What I'm going to do is get some Statendam baggage tags and save them for my next time on cruise on the Statendam.

Actually they were valuable, and used often at check-in when pasengers complain they "were never told" about proof of citizenship requirements, required identification for children, airport transfers, etc. Also in the ticket booklet was their cruise contract - a vital legal document.

Those items - the booklet and paper tickets - were the only proof that the info had been given to passengers.[/quote]

Sorry Boatdrill, that's no longer so!.. Understand what you are saying,, but doubt your argument would pass muster in a court of law or even with HAL..;)

Everything you previously received in the mail, including the contract & the " Know before you go" Booklet are in your check in documents on-line..That actually is better proof than a printed booklet...

Passengers could just as easily say there was no "Know before you go" Booklet in the Postal Mailing..They can no longer say they were never told, as all that info will remain in HAL's system & your booking forever..

Instead of receiving it in the U.S. Mail, you now have it all on-line.. You can still print your tags & only page one of your check in document & decide not to print it up or even read it...But that would be your problem not HAL's & is no excuse..

Cheers...:)Betty

P. S. In addition, we're saving more trees than before & protecting the environment..

Actually, it doesn't even matter whether you had any opportunity to know what the terms and conditions of your contract are before you buy your ticket, as the Supreme Court found in 1991. From the dissent in Carnival Cruise Lines, Inc. v. Shute:
The Court prefaces its legal analysis with a factual statement that implies that a purchaser of a Carnival Cruise Lines passenger ticket is fully and fairly notified about the existence of the choice of forum clause in the fine print on the back of the ticket. See ante at 587-588. Even if this implication were accurate, I would disagree with the Court's analysis. But, given the Court's preface, I begin my dissent by noting that only the most meticulous passenger is likely to become aware of the forum selection provision. I have therefore appended to this opinion a facsimile [omitted] of the relevant text, using the type size that actually appears in the ticket itself. A careful reader will find the forum selection clause in the eighth of the twenty-five numbered paragraphs. Of course, many passengers, like the respondents in this case, see ante at 587, will not have an opportunity to read paragraph 8 until they have actually purchased their tickets. By this point, the passengers will already have accepted the condition set forth in paragraph 16(a), which provides that "[t]he Carrier shall not be liable to make any refund to passengers in respect of . . . tickets wholly or partly not used by a passenger." Not knowing whether or not that provision is legally enforceable, I assume that the average passenger would accept the risk of having to file suit in Florida in the event of an injury, rather than canceling -- without a refund -- a planned vacation at the last minute.
So my thinking is: why bother to read it, if you can't do anything about it anyway???? :o

The tags are probably not going. I think the cost cutting has to do with the price of US postage or Fed Ex rates. If you think of the thousands of passengers that cruise on HAL in a given year, that is a sizable savings amount for them not to send the blue envelopes with the luggage tags as much as I enjoyed getting the envelopes. And with cruise prices low, I can understand them trying to save money somewhere. And I would rather they cut corners on luggage tags than cut corners on meals.

Completely agree with you..Just read another Cruise Line board...It seems seems they are cutting corners on some meals..:eek:

We're boarding Statedam in Fort Lauderdale 13 Nov for the Round Trip..Luggage tags are printed on card stock, sprayed them with clear spray, puched a hole in them & tying them on with tie wraps..No problem!...They are very strong & look fine...

Clothes list almost completed for both of us..Guest Room no longer available for guests :D, as luggage coming down this weekend & piles of clothes being placed on bed & outfits hung on a portable packing rack..

Both of us are getting excited..Only 21 days 15 hours & 39 min till be board..Yea!:D:D.

Betty

Actually, it doesn't even matter whether you had any opportunity to know what the terms and conditions of your contract are before you buy your ticket, as the Supreme Court found in 1991. From the dissent in Carnival Cruise Lines, Inc. v. Shute: So my thinking is: why bother to read it, if you can't do anything about it anyway???? :o

Oh MY...:confused:That entire Quote was Greek to me!...

LOL...Betty

For the life of me I do not understand what the hubbub is all about. We are always so happy to be going on a cruise (usually a respite from -30 weather) that all of the issues concerning docs, edocs, and baggage tags are noise level. We just want to get on the ship, relax, and enjoy the sun and the sea. The issue of edocs vs paperdocs or how pretty the bagage tags are or whether we get them at this end or at the cruise terminal are just not on our radar screen.

For the life of me I do not understand what the hubbub is all about. We are always so happy to be going on a cruise (usually a respite from -30 weather) that all of the issues concerning docs, edocs, and baggage tags are noise level. We just want to get on the ship, relax, and enjoy the sun and the sea. The issue of edocs vs paperdocs or how pretty the bagage tags are or whether we get them at this end or at the cruise terminal are just not on our radar screen.

I fully agree!

People must hunt for things to gripe about. :D

Besides the printed tags work just as well.

Archived