Luggage in Galveston

everyotheryear

In other port cities there where resturants that would hold your luggage and sometimes the port themselves would hold them. Since you can't check luggage into the airport and leave these days, these would be helpful. I guess we could rent a hotel for the day. Any other suggestions?

I'm curious about this as well. Our flight does not leave out of Hobby until 5:00PM and we will not have a car. Before the cruise, we are staying at the Holiday Inn SunSpree. I wonder whether they would allow us to store our luggage there as a courtesy after the cruise for the day. I'd even pay a fee just to not have to worry about the luggage. I think I will call and try that out. I'd love to hear of any other solutions out there though! Thanks!:)

We were thinking about trying our hotel also. We were just not sure if we should stay around Galveston for the day or headed to Houston. If we could rent a van for the day it would solve our problem but they tell me the only car rental place in Galveston is not open on Sundays when we dock.

Anyone else with ideas?

Royal - I didn't find info. on a Galveston valet service but thank you for the idea.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everybody!

I'll have the same issue after our cruise on the Voyager in April.

We have an evening flight departing from IAH at 6:50 pm and I really don't know what to do with the luggage.

My first idea was to take the cruiseline shuttle from the pier to the airport in the early morning if we could leave the luggage at the airport of course

That's the point I could not clear so far, no idea where to ask (at a hotel? day room? has anybody information about cost? There's nothing online...)

I'd like to see Houston a little bit and would take a bus to downtown from the airport.

My second alternative is to stay in Galveston for part of the day.

We'll also stay at the HI Sunspree resort pre-cruise too. I'd happy to know if they accept to take your luggage.

Re the luggage valet service, as for now, unfortunately RCCL doesn't offer it in Galveston.

And the third option is to take the RCCL post-cruise tour to Galveston and Houston with airport dropp-off. But we would probably be dropped off by 2:00 pm at the airport which is still a long time to kill with kids as our flight is only at 6:50 pm.

So, please be so kind and let us know if you find a better solution!!!

I'd really like to avoid sitting at the airport for hours...

Toonye

I just wanted to add that I've asked the hotel about transportation to the cruise terminal:

-> they offer a shuttle to the cruise terminal on embarkation day

->but there is no shuttle to pick you up if you stay there post cruise, you'll have to take a cab

Just in case!

Toonye

The only hotels that offer shuttle service pick up from the terminal include the Galvez, San Luis, Holiday Inn Resort, La Quinta Inn and the Holiday Inn Express.

I am not certain if these hotels will allow you to check your bags while you walk around - and these are all on the seawall.

I am not aware of any hotels in the strand area which will allow luggage drop.

Hey all. We had the same issue last weekend (Nov. 15) when we debarked from the Conquest. Our flight time was 4:30. We got a cab from the port to the Galvez (we could have waited for their shuttle too) and they put our luggage in Valet at no charge until the shuttle service we hired picked us up at 1:30. We could have left it there all day if need be. FYI - The Galvez has an amazing Sunday brunch from 11:00 to 2:00; I would highly recommend it! While we were "hanging out" we walked the Blvd. and rented one of those 4-seater bicycles - it was fun, but lots of work!

they put our luggage in Valet at no charge until the shuttle service we hired picked us up

Hi dbarc,

That would be just perfect!

I would even pay a fee for that.

Were you staying at the Galvez pre-cruise?

Do you remember how much the brunch cost? (approx.)

Enjoy the week-end:)

Toonye

galveston gal,

Thank you so much, that's a very precise answer :D

I'll contact the hotel and ask if they would store our luggage

What do you think when we should leave Galveston to catch an international flight at 18:50 from IAH ?

Should we leave as early as 14:00 to be on the safe side?

Toonye

galveston gal,

Thank you so much, that's a very precise answer :D

I'll contact the hotel and ask if they would store our luggage

What do you think when we should leave Galveston to catch an international flight at 18:50 from IAH ?

Should we leave as early as 14:00 to be on the safe side?

Toonye

I read on another thread that you would be in Galveston on Easter - is that at the begining or the end of your cruise? If at the end, this is probably a good time to leave as traffic will be heavier. Will you be returning a rental car at IAH? If so, you need to allocate a little extra time for that as all the car rentals are not on the airport property and you have to be driven to the terminal on the rental companies' van. You would probably be OK leaving at 14:30 to 14:45 - but why risk it for less than an hour more in Galveston! Enjoy your cruise!

Hi Texas Tillie,

Thank you so much for your advice.

Yes, it's for the end of our cruise and it'll be on Sunday, April 11 i.e. probably the end of spring break vacation.

And we won't have a rental car but will be picked-up by a shuttle/town car service.

Actually, I'm not 100% sure how to organize this last day.

I was planning on taking the RCCL tour to Galveston and Houston as I'd like to see Houston too but this would mean being dropped off at the airport by 13:00 and our flight is only at 18:50, I'm not keen on waiting so many long hours at the airport with all the luggage, especially before a transatlantic flight of more than 10 hours

We've done that often and would be so glad to avoid it this time.

My second option was leaving the ship early and use the RCCL shuttle to the airport.

If I could find where to store our luggage at the airport, we could have some hours to visit Houston (but on a sunday??? is it worth it?)

My last option is staying in Galveston till the town car picks us up at about 14:00

That also means finding a place to store the luggage for the few hours...

I'll contact the hotel in Galveston, let's see what they offer!

Toonye

Hi dbarc,

That would be just perfect!

I would even pay a fee for that.

Were you staying at the Galvez pre-cruise?

Do you remember how much the brunch cost? (approx.)

Enjoy the week-end:)

Toonye

Hi Toonye. We stayed at the Treemont House pre-cruise which is a sister hotel to the Galvez. It's only a couple of blocks from the pier and was a wonderful place to stay.

Just to let you know; we did not contact the Galvez before we went there post-cruise. The shuttle/towncar company we were using told us to just go there after debarkation and it would be no problem. The Galvez was very welcoming even suggesting we could use their pool area if we desired.

Have a nice weekend!

Archived