Ashdod

ais1951

Our ship is docking in Ashdod and from this port we are planning on visiting Tel Aviv independently. Can anyone advise how long it would take to get there by either train or taxi which would be quicker and also aprox. how much it would cost. Thanks in advance.

We were in Ashdod on a cruise 2 weeks ago. Tel Aviv is about 25 miles away. Traffic if very bad near Ashdod (and much of Israel). In fact, traffic was so bad that several tour buses arrived back late to the ship and the Captain held the ship and extra 45 minutes.

Our ship is docking in Ashdod and from this port we are planning on visiting Tel Aviv independently. Can anyone advise how long it would take to get there by either train or taxi which would be quicker and also aprox. how much it would cost. Thanks in advance.

Here who U can do it:

from the port take a taxi (they are waiting on the pier) to the train station (demand the driver to use the meter, i asume it will cost you around 25Nis = 6-7$). You have a train to Tel Aviv arround every 30min. It takes 40-50min by the train and costs 17.5Nis pp. That is the quickest and cheapest way!

Have fun

However, if you do take the train to Tel Aviv, it does not stop in the centre of town or near the beach where the tourist sights are. If you like shopping malls you can get of at HaShalom Station and there is a large mall (named "Azrieli") just upstairs. From the station or the shopping mall you need to get a taxi to the beach front (10-15 mins depending on traffic). The best places to wonder around are Dizengoff Street and the Carmel Market. You can walk from one to the other. Old Jaffa is also nice to visit if you have time.;)

Here who U can do it:

from the port take a taxi (they are waiting on the pier) to the train station (demand the driver to use the meter, i asume it will cost you around 25Nis = 6-7$). You have a train to Tel Aviv arround every 30min. It takes 40-50min by the train and costs 17.5Nis pp. That is the quickest and cheapest way!

Have fun

We were in Ashdod last week, and cab drivers were quoting USD 50 to go from the ship to the port gate. The city supplied two shuttle busses which departed irregularly from unmarked locations, and the whole atmosphere was kind of wild west. Apparently only a few local cabs have the permit which allows them to enter the port, and they exploit this to the hilt.

We were in Ashdod last week, and cab drivers were quoting USD 50 to go from the ship to the port gate. The city supplied two shuttle busses which departed irregularly from unmarked locations, and the whole atmosphere was kind of wild west. Apparently only a few local cabs have the permit which allows them to enter the port, and they exploit this to the hilt.

50$ is a robbery in day light!

I hope you didn't pay.

Indeed Ashdod is not a freindly port. Usually there are shuttle buses.

Oh dear Im starting to worry now - perhaps I should try and book a ships tour. They only do one to Tel Aviv which seems to concentrate around the markets only (Jaffa & Tel Aviv).

I didnt think it would be such a problem going independently. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Didnt want to go to Jerusalem as we were there a few years ago. As we go on Friday not long to re-think my plan.

Thanks

Archived