NCL- Jewel (Oct 7-12 Baltic cruise)

edsaleb

My wife and I recently completed the Baltic cruise on the NCL Jewel.

First the positives:

First, check-in day was efficient, it was all color coded based on the time of arrival at the terminal. Once on board the ship, we were greeted with a glass of champagne... very nice touch: Second, the accommodations were very comfortable and spacious.

Third, the staffs were very helpful and courteous. Our luggage was delivered to our cabin on time:

Fourth, we ate mainly in the main dining rooms. The service was courteous and helpful. The food was for the most part acceptable. And lastly,

Fifth, we expected long delays clearing customs in Russia, it was a very smooth procedure... it did not take long at all.

Now to the negative side of the cruise:

First, at check-in, unlike Royal Caribbean, Princess and Holland America, NCL did not offer complimentary snacks or juice... tea or coffee only;

Second, we were not allowed into our cabin until much later in the day, considering the fact that they require passengers to disembark the ship by 10am, you would think they would have enough time to ready the cabins for new passengers by mid-afternoon;

Third, quiet public areas for reading or just relaxing without any of the hoopla were hard to find. If you went to any of the bars on board, you were constantly harassed to buy drinks... also, the bars where usually very noisy;

Fourth, we found it mission impossible to get a seat in the Garden Cafe (buffet area)... hence the reason why we ate most of our meals in the dining room;

Fifth, they had too many restaurants that required a fee to enter. Most of the time the restaurants were empty... it didn’t make sense to have so many;

Sixth, we were extremely disappointed to discover that NCL did away with the self serve laundry. They claimed that they never had those facilities. This is a complete lie. Our cabin Stuart told us that they were discontinued because of safety reasons... not sure why it would be more risky on a ship than your own home. They had laundry facilities as late as this past spring; and finally,

Seventh, the ship was beautifully appointed... old ship charm, the nightly entertainment was very good and professional.

My wife and I recently completed the Baltic cruise on the NCL Jewel.

First the positives:

First, check-in day was efficient, it was all color coded based on the time of arrival at the terminal. Once on board the ship, we were greeted with a glass of champagne... very nice touch: Second, the accommodations were very comfortable and spacious.

Third, the staffs were very helpful and courteous. Our luggage was delivered to our cabin on time:

Fourth, we ate mainly in the main dining rooms. The service was courteous and helpful. The food was for the most part acceptable. And lastly,

Fifth, we expected long delays clearing customs in Russia, it was a very smooth procedure... it did not take long at all.

Now to the negative side of the cruise:

First, at check-in, unlike Royal Caribbean, Princess and Holland America, NCL did not offer complimentary snacks or juice... tea or coffee only;

Could this be something specific to the port of embarkation? I have seen cookies and beverages in the NY Terminal.

Second, we were not allowed into our cabin until much later in the day, considering the fact that they require passengers to disembark the ship by 10am, you would think they would have enough time to ready the cabins for new passengers by mid-afternoon;

In my past experience by 1:30 - 2:00 the cabins are usually ready for new passengers. We usually go to the Dining Room for lunch and when we are done they make the announcement that the cabins are ready. There is so much to do on turnover day and NCL does allow its passengers to stay in the cabins until 10:00, I would would not even fathom to think that they cabins be ready when we board. What time were they ready?

Third, quiet public areas for reading or just relaxing without any of the hoopla were hard to find. If you went to any of the bars on board, you were constantly harassed to buy drinks... also, the bars where usually very noisy;

I have usually found Spinnakers to be a quiet place to relax and not be harassed, off course this is during non-bingo times.

Fourth, we found it mission impossible to get a seat in the Garden Cafe (buffet area)... hence the reason why we ate most of our meals in the dining room;

I have seen this

Fifth, they had too many restaurants that required a fee to enter. Most of the time the restaurants were empty... it didn’t make sense to have so many;

That is the beauty of NCL - we all have a choice. I have in the past chosen to eat at a couple of the restaurants with a charge, but like you take most of my meals in the Dining Room.

Sixth, we were extremely disappointed to discover that NCL did away with the self serve laundry. They claimed that they never had those facilities. This is a complete lie. Our cabin Stuart told us that they were discontinued because of safety reasons... not sure why it would be more risky on a ship than your own home. They had laundry facilities as late as this past spring; and finally,

As much as I miss not having the facilities, I do understand NCL's stand on this. These rooms are not monitored 24 hrs. a day and quite often I myself would have to call the front desk because of some sort of problem in there.

Seventh, the ship was beautifully appointed... old ship charm, the nightly entertainment was very good and professional.

I am glad that you enjoyed the entertainment.

I don't understand the thumbs down in your post. It doesn't seem like you had a bad trip.

It's not often that you see a review that gives positive grades to the things most cruisers care about most...food, service cabin accomodations, decor and entertainment, but has an overall negative rating. :eek:

My thoughts exactly...

The Jewel hasn't cruised in the Baltics since arriving in Dover on September 19th.

The Jewel's Baltic cruises were 12 days, not 5 as the OP said theirs was.

During the month of October, the Jewel is doing 10 day Canada/New England cruises departing on 9/30, 10/10, and 10/20. Nothing starting or stoping on Oct 7th or 12th as the OP claimed.

I'm doubting whether or not the OP was actually on the Jewel. Looks like a troll that joined CC just to bash NCL. :rolleyes:

The Jewel hasn't cruised in the Baltics since arriving in Dover on September 19th.

The Jewel's Baltic cruises were 12 days, not 5 as the OP said theirs was.

During the month of October, the Jewel is doing 10 day Canada/New England cruises departing on 9/30, 10/10, and 10/20. Nothing starting or stoping on Oct 7th or 12th as the OP claimed.

I'm doubting whether or not the OP was actually on the Jewel. Looks like a troll that joined CC just to bash NCL. :rolleyes:

Good catch!

I was thinking the exact same thing. We were on the Jewel, mid august, and they told us that she was only doing 2 more itineraries in the Baltics before moving to a new location as the weather is just too cold.

The OP has a lot of explaining to do. Too bad because he will probably never see this thread again. And I just love it when they come to complain about TOO MANY restaurants. What difference does it make if your eating in the MDR every night. This is the first time I've ever heard anyone complain that the paid eateries were being underused, so THAT bothers him. WOW.

there was a baltic cruise prior to the repo cruise... on Sept. 7 to 12.... perhaps the OP meant to type Sept. and they typed Oct..????... I will give them the benefit of the doubt for a few days to see if they return before deleting the review..

I was thinking the exact same thing. We were on the Jewel, mid august, and they told us that she was only doing 2 more itineraries in the Baltics before moving to a new location as the weather is just too cold.

The OP has a lot of explaining to do. Too bad because he will probably never see this thread again. And I just love it when they come to complain about TOO MANY restaurants. What difference does it make if your eating in the MDR every night. This is the first time I've ever heard anyone complain that the paid eateries were being underused, so THAT bothers him. WOW.

How can someone worry that NCL has too many restaurants. Either choose to go or don't. I love the variety and have found the additional fee to be very reasonable for the total experience. How many people complain about the ship food? Have you ever cooked for a crowd? The MDR is geared to banquet serving. The specialties can give more you ala carte experience. The food is miore "cooked to order" - like my favorite "Il Popo" in the Tex-Mex. I also enjoy Le Bistro and Teppenyaki. I also enjoy the more intimate atmosphere.

there was a baltic cruise prior to the repo cruise... on Sept. 7 to 12.... perhaps the OP meant to type Sept. and they typed Oct..????... I will give them the benefit of the doubt for a few days to see if they return before deleting the review..

The OP also says it was October in another post.

The September 7th sailing was a 12 day cruise. So the quoted dates are also erroneous.

PE

The September 7th sailing was a 12 day cruise. So the quoted dates are also erroneous.

PE

Perhaps what they meant was Sept 7 - 12 day cruise. Instead of Oct 7 - 12 cruise.

A simple wrong month, and missing word solves the problem.

Perhaps what they meant was Sept 7 - 12 day cruise. Instead of Oct 7 - 12 cruise.

A simple wrong month, and missing word solves the problem.

They registered yesterday, posted twice about an October sailing and have not been back even to look over their handy work.

PE

Archived