All things glacial

perlgirlnj

• You know how you see pictures on guidebooks of people kayaking right near glaciers or other blue ice formations? Where does one do that?

• Our plans include taking a PWS glacier boat ride out of Whittier, and then we’re cruising Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier, and hopefully doing a helicopter/glacier landing in one of the other ports. On the Anchorage to Seward part of the trip, will both Exit Glacier and Portage Glacier & especially the boat ride to Portage be worthwhile or will we end up with glacier overload ultimately? In other words, should we do both Exit & Portage, and if not, which one?

• I know there are glacier flightseeing/landing opportunities in all of our ports (Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway) but which one has the most spectacular blue ice glaciers that we can walk around on? I had really wanted to do the glacier trekking at Matanuska (sp?) but couldn’t make the itinerary work. Which one of these ports has anything that’s as gorgeous-looking as that?

I'm obviously vacillating between wanting maximum glacier time and not overloading on glaciers!

• You know how you see pictures on guidebooks of people kayaking right near glaciers or other blue ice formations? Where does one do that?

• Our plans include taking a PWS glacier boat ride out of Whittier, and then we’re cruising Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier, and hopefully doing a helicopter/glacier landing in one of the other ports. On the Anchorage to Seward part of the trip, will both Exit Glacier and Portage Glacier & especially the boat ride to Portage be worthwhile or will we end up with glacier overload ultimately? In other words, should we do both Exit & Portage, and if not, which one?

• I know there are glacier flightseeing/landing opportunities in all of our ports (Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway) but which one has the most spectacular blue ice glaciers that we can walk around on? I had really wanted to do the glacier trekking at Matanuska (sp?) but couldn’t make the itinerary work. Which one of these ports has anything that’s as gorgeous-looking as that?

I'm obviously vacillating between wanting maximum glacier time and not overloading on glaciers!

For the first one, choose a kayaking trip to Blackstone Bay instead of the PWS tour (or in addition to if you have time.

You won't even see Portage Glacier unless you take the boat ride, but you can hike to and on Exit Glacier up to the Harding Ice Field.

Juneau has the best glacier flightseeing.

We sort of had this discussion before when we encouraged you to go to Matsu, then on to Valdez, where you can kayak to Columbia Glacier and accomplish your kayaking out in the ice fields (in my top 5 lifetime experiences) and then take the ferry to Whittier (BudgetQueen will have to give you the specifics on that as I have never done that leg). You could also ice climb and hike at Worthington Glacier in Valdez. See if you can accomplish everything in Valdez that you can in Seward because there are always ways to get from point A to point B.

This is a picture of my son. This particular day was not clear, but still unbelievably serene. We have done this several times.

DSC01082.jpg.8bdbbfe8e94b359446ed55afe9719e9f.jpg

We sort of had this discussion before when we encouraged you to go to Matsu, then on to Valdez, where you can kayak to Columbia Glacier and accomplish your kayaking out in the ice fields (in my top 5 lifetime experiences) and then take the ferry to Whittier (BudgetQueen will have to give you the specifics on that as I have never done that leg). You could also ice climb and hike at Worthington Glacier in Valdez. See if you can accomplish everything in Valdez that you can in Seward because there are always ways to get from point A to point B.

This is a picture of my son. This particular day was not clear, but still unbelievably serene. We have done this several times.

Well, I know what my starting point will be for my next trip! :)

I think for this one, I'm going to stick with the Anchorage/Seward/talkeetna/Denali/Anchorage/Whittier plan. But I'm keeping track of the suggested itinerary for next time, I promise.

In the meantime, I'm still looking for glacier feedback. I think we won't take the 2 hr roundtrip boat ride to Portage, and will save our extended time at Exit unless someone feels strongly otherwise.

Just keep asking the questions because I can tell Alaska will get in your blood and there will be future trips. We try to go to Valdez for at least 5 days every other year or so. There is so much to do there. On that trip, you may also consider flying over to Hallo Bay for one of their bear tours. Now that is in the top 2 of lifetime experiences for me. Hallobay.com

Janice

In the meantime, I'm still looking for glacier feedback. I think we won't take the 2 hr roundtrip boat ride to Portage, and will save our extended time at Exit unless someone feels strongly otherwise.

We did Portage Glacier, Exit Glacier, Glacier Bay, Sawyer Glaciers in Tracy Arm Ford, College Fjords and Northwestern Glacier in Kenai Fjords. We did not plan PWS because I thought it would be boat ride overload. It was a mistake for me. I realized that we should have included it and I still regret my decision to not include it. However, I am someone who loves nature and scenery. I never get bored of natural beauty. Only you can decide how much glacier viewing you want to do. I know many people do not give the best reviews of the Portage Glacier, but we really enjoyed the trip. It was a short, quiet and relaxing tour with a nice glacier to view. Not massive, but still very nice and you get quite close. Last year the Northern Lights book actually had two coupons for FREE RIDES...yes free...not a buy one get one free..but two outright free coupons. We couldn't pass that up. I would definitely do Portage over adding extra time at Exit Glacier. As long as you have 1 1/2 to 2 hours at Exit Glacier, you have plenty of time to take the hike. If possible, time it so you can take a free ranger guided hike. Their commentary is very interesting and educational if that interests you.

We took a little skiff out around Columbia Glacier and agree it is an incredible experience although I’m not sure I would take the time necessary as it is a long drive to Valdez to experience it.

My preference would be Exit Glacier in Seward and possibly Matanuska Glacier which is north east of anchorage about 2 hours on a good day.

It’s hard to be negative on any glacier viewing trip although Portage can be a bit anticlimactic once you seen others. A positive about this trip is the Park Ranger who provides a good narrative and answers questions while onboard the boat. It’s a short trip. If you do it, you may also want to consider hiking the Bryon Glacier Trail that is very near where you hop on the boat to see Portage Glacier. The trail is about 1 mile long and a very easy stroll. You end up at a snow field below the glacier.

I took this photo at Matanuska Glacier this summer. It's our favorite glacier.

137845241_MatanuskaGlacier.jpg.867b4db607673eca139445f6831e091f.jpg

Super photo!

We all have our favorite glaciers. I remember Portage when it was a fairly big glacier that you could see from the parking lot.

Thanks Penny. I have a photo of my daughter standing at Portage Lake with the glacier in the background 23 years ago. We went out on the mv Ptarmigan this summer to see the glacier and all I could think about is how much it had receded.

If you haven't been out that way in a while...the Trail of Blue Ice at Portage is very nice. Should be close to completion.

I go back with Portage longer than I can to put in public, but I will say that we camped in the area with a fine view of the glacier. In all seasons. I have a photo of 'us girls' taken in about 1978 that shows a huge glacier not too far from where we were standing on the parking lot. We were wearing the traditional Alaskan hair style: wind blown.

There also used to be some hanging glaciers that you could clearly see from the road into the lake. I'm not sure when Portage ran away from the parking lot.

When I get back out there I'll check out that trail. Thanks for the suggestion. Nifty name for a trail: Blue Ice.

As for your kayaking qestion, wolfie definately has your best answer. Portage glacier visitor center is worthwhile, but I would say you could skip the boat tour, if your time is tight.

As for Exit, if you are looking at serious trekking, then consider going with a guide. IF you are planning on hiking the whole icefield, then you need to be well prepared with a good degree of fitness, it's quite a haul. You have no access to Exit- officially, although, I've seen people ignore the signs, then you read about the crush deaths, from the basic two trails from the visitor center.

I will continue to state, look at your entire itinerary and be certain, you are working it the best. Time is your friend and more of it definately superior. If you can't budget at least 3-4 days, then forget Valdez.

Archived