Galveston Transportation: To The Port

We are taking on the Dec. 13 Voyager of the Seas cruise leaving Galveston. We are flying into Houston Bush International Airport. Any suggestions of how to get to the port in Galveston from there? Thank you.:o

It's about 55 miles away. I would check local shuttles as car rental just wouldn't be cost effective in my opinion. ;)

Are you flying in the day before?

We just used the RCCL transportation. Very simple, and more cost effective. Normally I would not suggest it, but if you get the first bus (be at the airport early) than you will arrive before the crowds. We stayed at a Bush Airport hotel, so got a shuttle back to the airport first thing on embarkation morning.

I agree with the car service. You may get some info on the Galveston Port board here on CC. A rental car would be a weekly rental (as there are no agencies open on Sundays in Galveston) and $70 to park for the week.

They really need to make getting to the port from the airport a little more convenient.

Haven't done this for a few years - but we used Galveston Limo - they have a web site and operate a shuttle service. (They also have a true limo/car service.) We used the shuttle service after recommendations on these boards. It worked out wonderfully well. They were clean, comfortable, regular shuttle small/van-type buses. They operate a full schedule. Check them out. http://www.galvestonlimousineservice.com

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is actually closer to 70 miles from IAH to the cruise port. We had a great trip with Elite Limousines of Houston last year. Found them at www.elitelimohouston.com Stretch Limo was under $250 total, as I recall... had a caring careful driver and enjoyed a movie on the way down. I would avoid taxis in Houston. Note the $95 "deal" does not include a tip and for a few bucks more you can likely get a clean car and driver.

We just used the RCCL transportation. Very simple, and more cost effective. Normally I would not suggest it, but if you get the first bus (be at the airport early) than you will arrive before the crowds. We stayed at a Bush Airport hotel, so got a shuttle back to the airport first thing on embarkation morning.

I will be cruising out of Galveston on Voyager of the seas Jan 10. We will be flying in a day early and I was also planning on staying close to Bush International and taking the RCCL transfer. Just wondering if you could tell me exactly where we have to go to meet up with the bus. Inside or outside the arrivals terminal and will there be an RCCL rep there to meet us? Do I purchase the transfer through RCCL? Thanks!

We did the RCCL transfer from Hobbie last year. Got in the night before, stayed at a hotel by airport and went back to the airport the next morning. The person for RCCL was down by baggage claim as they expect that you are coming in that day. We did have to lie to them and give them a flight number coming in on Sunday instead of our Saturday flight as that was not allowed :confused:-- it was very silly. But it worked great. And the bags were taken care of! Most cost effective way of getting down to the port. There was a hotel by Hobbie that offered staying overnight and transfers back and forth for free -- averaging the $$ but we had already book RCCL transfers by the time I found it.

This topic is heavily discussed in Galveston-oriented threads. Getting to and from Hobby International is a piece of cake. The trip from Bush Intercontinental is another matter altogether. Basically, it's about a 90-minute ride, and the average cost is around $100 each way. If you plan to rent a car, Enterprise is the only game in town. They discourage one-way rentals by charging a $100 dropoff fee. Since the office is closed on Sunday, you can neither rent nor leave a vehicle on the day of the cruise. It's actually less expensive to rent the car on a Saturday, pay the $70 weekly parking charge, and drive it back to the airport when you return (provided you get back before the extra day rate kicks in). Simply put, if RCI can provide a better deal, take it! Enjoy your cruise!!

Archived