Blue Line to Long Beach

Rosefloater

Has anyone taken the Blue Line from Union Station to the Long Beach Port (for Carnival)? I know that from the end of the Blue Line, you have to take the Long Beach city shuttle that takes to the Long Beach Port. Where is the stop at the pier?

I am thinking of trying this to save some money rather than parking at the pier.

Here's a link for the 'C' Passport Shuttle It says it stops at the Queen Mary.

http://www.lbtransit.org/Schedules/Default.aspx?routegrp=34

and a map

http://www.lbtransit.org/Schedules/Default.aspx?routegrp=34&routes=The Passport&direction=South&day=today&mode=map

You will need to get off at Transit Mall in Long Beach. The Blue line doesn't really have an end in Long Beach. It loops.

http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/blue_line.htm

Here's a link for the 'C' Passport Shuttle It says it stops at the Queen Mary.

http://www.lbtransit.org/Schedules/Default.aspx?routegrp=34

and a map

http://www.lbtransit.org/Schedules/Default.aspx?routegrp=34&routes=The Passport&direction=South&day=today&mode=map

You will need to get off at Transit Mall in Long Beach. The Blue line doesn't really have an end in Long Beach. It loops.

http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/blue_line.htm

Thanks sis, but I already have this info. I was hoping that someone would have actually ridden the blue line and tell me how it was.

You need to take the Red line from Union Station and change to the Blue line at the 7st Street Metro station. If you have more than one small roller bag it will be a hassle. It is like the subway anywhere, not much room for luggage. You also need to be at the door when it opens since there is not much time at a stop.

It is not a bad trip, I have ridden from Union Station to Long beach twice. Not for a cruise ship, but to see the aquarium.

It is about an hour trip from Union Station to Long Beach. Don't know about the bus to the cruise ship.

Luggage is a hassle on subways and bus.

You need to take the Red line from Union Station and change to the Blue line at the 7st Street Metro station. If you have more than one small roller bag it will be a hassle. It is like the subway anywhere, not much room for luggage. You also need to be at the door when it opens since there is not much time at a stop.

It is not a bad trip, I have ridden from Union Station to Long beach twice. Not for a cruise ship, but to see the aquarium.

It is about an hour trip from Union Station to Long Beach. Don't know about the bus to the cruise ship.

Luggage is a hassle on subways and bus.

I agree with this. I've ridden the blue line from Long Beach to a few blocks shy of union station (for work). Depending on the time of day, it's at least an hour trip. You would definitely want to avoid the evening rush hour as the trains are PACKED. The train goes through some sketchy areas, but I never felt unsafe (course I was with lots of other downtown commuters).

I rode the blue line to the end in Long Beach and walked home. To catch the Passport, you'd probably have to get off at 5th street, I believe there's a Passport stop at the pedestrian cross walk. (if not then go in front of wal-mart). From here, it probably takes a half an hour to get over to the Queen Mary. The passport does not stop at the actual cruise port. You'd have to walk (5-10 minutes) from the Queen Mary stop to the cruise port. Not far, but could be a nuisance with a bit of luggage.

Personally, I'd just drive to the pier and pay the $15 per day to park. Way less stress and hassle.

They are thinking of taking the Orange line to Red line to Blue line then the 'C' over to the Queen Mary. They have gone to the Convention Center using this route from the SFV. I think they should do a dry run one day.

Rosefloater (both of them) travel extremely light - rolling backpacks. $9 total round trip it might be worth the hassle.

Another option is to check into shuttle services from the Valley. We booked a private towncar for our trip to San Pedro on our last cruise. Not because we didn't want to park at the port, but because it was a 15 day cruise and neither of our cars had a big enough trunk. It actually worked out to be about the same as parking at San Pedro, but if you're willing to book a shared van (and if you can find a couple or discount), maybe you can save $. I just can't see schleping luggage onto the buses or trains, especially if you have more than one bag per person in your group (not going to happen to me).

Just can't see adding stress to getting to the port.

Another option is to check into shuttle services from the Valley. We booked a private towncar for our trip to San Pedro on our last cruise. Not because we didn't want to park at the port' date=' but because it was a 15 day cruise and neither of our cars had a big enough trunk. It actually worked out to be about the same as parking at San Pedro, but if you're willing to book a shared van (and if you can find a couple or discount), maybe you can save $. I just can't see schleping luggage onto the buses or trains (We traveled in Europe using trains and buses and carrying our own luggage, especially if you have more than one bag per person in your group (not going to happen to me). As yogi pointed out, we are light packers (take a small roll-on (backpack size) and a purse each.

Just can't see adding stress to getting to the port.We don't see it as stress. We plan on traveling after the morning rush, so there is no stress there. We have taken the blue line down to the Convention Center. Just not to the pier. We see it as another adventure to our vacation.

The shuttles are the same or more than parking at the pier for only a 3 day cruise.

We want to try something different and have been thinking of taking the blue line for awhile now. We were just wondering if anyone has taken public transportation to the pier from Union Station.

The shuttles are the same or more than parking at the pier for only a 3 day cruise.

We want to try something different and have been thinking of taking the blue line for awhile now. We were just wondering if anyone has taken public transportation to the pier from Union Station.

/QUOTE]

Give it a try; and, report back. Think less luggage for ease of travel.

I have taken the Blue Line to downtown, and then the Red Line to Union Station. Give yourself plenty of time, and relax. We've taken the Metro from LAX to home a couple of times. It takes a little longer, but very cheap, and not that much of a hassle unless one taken too much luggage.

• 2 months later...

The only thing holding Rosefloater back fron doing this is parking. They want to know if it is allowed to park overnight in the Metro parking lot at Pierce College.

Metro.net hasn't answered the emails nor does the website tell us.

They are driving from the San Fernando Valley and want to take public transportation to the Long Beach Dome. Not going to do that if their car will be towed.:eek:

There is an Amtrak bus to Long Beach. Needs to be booked as Long Beach and not LAX (Union Station), it's about $5 more.

Amtrak bus is probably not an option. At least on the day I checked, the first bus of the day arrives at Long Beach at 4PM, and also must be booked in conjunction with a train. The station code for Long Beach Queen Mary is LBQ, so op could just check Amtrak reservations on whether anything is workable on the day they travel.

OK - This is what we are probably doing. Taking Metrolink to Union Station; take Red Line 1 stop to Blue Line to the end; take Long Beach Passport C shuttle to ship.

Can't take Orange Line (which we wanted to do originally) because there is no overnight parking. The Metrolink station is also an Amtrak Station (therefore overnight parking - this was our main concern).

L.A. wants people to take public transportation, but they do not make it easy to get from point A to point B (especially if you live in the San Fernando Valley). :mad:

After all is said and done, we will still be saving about $20 in parking for the 3-day weekend. As mom said "That's a couple of DOD's!"

• 1 month later...

I did this today., Southwest Chief, Red Line, Blue Line, and Passport C. Started 8am, arrived 9:50. Red line was very crowded, southbound Blue Line and Passport not a problem at all. It would have been an extra 5 minutes to wallk to Carnival terminal.

At least for getting to LAX from the Valley, there's the Flyaway. We've parked there for a couple of weeks the last time we flew. The only negatives was that the driver almost left our baggage there on the sidewalk (fort. hubby spotted the bags and confronted the driver) and on the way back from the airport to the Valley, our bus almost ran into a city vehicle on the 405. Last year I dropped off a cousin-in-law at the Flyaway station and noticed they have a brand new building.

Rosefloater- As others said you will have to take minimal luggage to be very quick and mobile entering and exiting the trains. Also if you go during peak hours you won't be too popular taking up space with luggage.

Safety isn't a big issue as long as you don't display expensive jewelry or look conspicuously out-of-place. During daylight hours Blue Line will be OK though the areas it passes through are serious scary in a few places. I definitely wouldn't ride or linger on the station platforms at night.

The suggestion to do a "dry run" is great.

Rosefloater- As others said you will have to take minimal luggage to be very quick and mobile entering and exiting the trains. Also if you go during peak hours you won't be too popular taking up space with luggage.

Safety isn't a big issue as long as you don't display expensive jewelry or look conspicuously out-of-place. During daylight hours Blue Line will be OK though the areas it passes through are serious scary in a few places. I definitely wouldn't ride or linger on the station platforms at night.

The suggestion to do a "dry run" is great.

Rosefloater wasn't able to take the Metro to Long Beach because of lack of long term parking.

Archived