Just Can't Decide......

Brenda33

So I am thinking of a getaway without the kids for just me and DH this January. Its the only month I could go because my oldest daughter (20) can babysit the little guy (7)....college break. Anyhow, I found a great deal out of Baltimore on the Pride. My problem is I am wondering how it is to cruise in January. The cruise is heading to Florida and the Bahamas. When do you start feeling warm weather? Is it still fun when its cold? Or do you miss all the lounging at the pool with a frozen drink in hand soaking up the sun stuff? Also, at this late a date, I am wondering if I would be able to get the anytime dining....that's also the only way I would go....what to do....what to do.....I love cruising!....Oh, my other option is an extended weekend to possibly Salem Massachussetts in a B&B or something like that.........what to do????? HELP!!! Thanks......:)

You will love cruising that time of year. The weather will not be too hot or too humid. It will be perfect.

When you leave home, you'll be in sweaters and boots. When you get out to sea, you'll be dropping the sweater and packing-up the boots.

We love to cruise to Mexico or the Caribbean at this time of year.

Go cruising.......You'll have a wonderful time! :)

My concern would be that a few of the days the ship would be sailing in cold weather so would that affect your enjoyment? Any cheap flights to Florida on the dates you wanna go?

That's what I am trying to figure out. The day we sail I know it will be FREEZING....but how about the next day???? or the day after????? Hmmmmmmmm......decisions, decisions.

That's what I am trying to figure out. The day we sail I know it will be FREEZING....but how about the next day???? or the day after????? Hmmmmmmmm......decisions, decisions.

It looks like you'll have 2 full sea days before you even get to Port Canaveral. I can't imagine it would be that warm before then? Not trying to scare you away but plugging along at 20 knots in the cold would drive me nuts.

It looks like you'll have 2 full sea days before you even get to Port Canaveral. I can't imagine it would be that warm before then? Not trying to scare you away but plugging along at 20 knots in the cold would drive me nuts.

But maybe not that cold?????? I mean one of the times I went on a cruise there was a bunch of rain and I was one of the only people sitting pool side in my hoodie with a frozen drink in hand.....it was fun!!!!....just as long as it is not freezing. I wish Carnival had those stand up heaters outside like NCL did....although other than that, I didn't really like my NCL cruise.....

Oh and regarding flights.....not interested.....that is just extra money and I am trying to make this a cheap cruise. See....my DH gave me as a bday present....hand written in a card.....an extended weekend away without the kids.......but when I added that up and I saw the price of the cruise out of Baltimore....I might as well go for a whole week for the same price....so that is why air fare wouldn't "fly" so to speak.

I live in central georgia and I frequent FL even in the winter. I checked out the itinerary. If you go on this, you'll have a fun time. I will be cold for more than 50% of your cruise. Even in central FL, the lows can get to mid-40s and will stay that way at night. The itinerary goes to FL and port Canaveral and two Bahama locations. Also remember the Bahamas are very close to FL and aren't even tropical.

Like others have pointed out, assuming all goes according to the intended plan, you will never regret flying to FL and going to more southern locations. You'll have much better temperature day and night, you could also stop at more 4 tropical locations, vs FL and two sub-tropical stops.

The board doesn't like pricing, I've looked at a couple of sites to see what the pride is charging. There are a few 7 nighters out there around that price but the best deals are at the beginning of the new year, like the 2nd or 3rd. Although I don't know if airfare is more expensive during that time. On 1/2: check out the crown princess, NCL pearl, costa Atlantica. There's also a bunch on 1/3...

If this sounds I'm on to something I'll post more suggestions...

You're young.....how cold is too cold? You're not cruising Alaska.....Suck it up, and go! You won't be sorry!

All inclusive vacation......you can't beat it.....Geezzz! I sound like a TA.....I just know that I wouldn't pass-up the opportunity to cruise, anytime!

Remember though that those of us from the north are looking for an escape from winter. Are 40-50 degree sea days enough of a respite for the OP? Don't know but it sure wouldn't be enough for me...

Having lived on the Gulf coast most of my life (same latitude as Jacksonville, FL), I can tell you that January is our coldest month of the year with night time sub freezing weather on a number of nights. Having said that, it can also be somewhat warm, maybe low 70's. Water temps even in the Bahamas will likely be in the low 70's. If I lived near Baltimore however, I wouldn't hesitate to book the Pride in January. Also please know that I am a cruise addict!

Remember though that those of us from the north are looking for an escape from winter. Are 40-50 degree sea days enough of a respite for the OP? Don't know but it sure wouldn't be enough for me...

We had 37degree temps. on an Alaskan cruise once and I have to tell you.....sitting in the Horizon Court, drinking hot chocolate and watching the frosty mist and mountains out the window was a blast. The temperatures inside the ship was always pleasant and on the occasion when we would venture out on deck.....it was so much fun. There were even people all bundled up and watching a movie on MUTS. The sights/smells and look of the ocean, in that temperature was worth the trip.

I do appreciate those of you from the north, who experience the cold temperatures much more so than those of us from sunny, southern California. And, I totally get why you want to get into the sunshine as much and as often as you can.

That said, if it were a good deal and a chance to get away, no matter what the weather, I'd do it, more so on a cruise ship than in any other venue!

Good luck to the OP. What a great problem you have to solve!!!!

Archived