Booking a day at Beaches resort without going throught the cruiseline

Does anyone know if you can book a day at the beaches resort without going through the cruiseline and if there is any cost savings?

thx

The last time I checked it was about $85 plus a 20 minute taxi ride to the resort. Have you considered the Sunset Jamaica Grande with similar amenities, closer to the pier and cost less.

See my Ocho Rios album for pics of Sunset Jamaica Grande

The last time I checked it was about $85 plus a 20 minute taxi ride to the resort. Have you considered the Sunset Jamaica Grande with similar amenities, closer to the pier and cost less.

Thank you kooljamming. That is quite a bit cheaper than going through the cruiseline.

Sunset was our first choice, but we are going over thanksgiving which is a blackout date at sunset. So we are scambling to figure out plan B.

Thx

See my Ocho Rios album for pics of Sunset Jamaica Grande

Kooljamming, how much was a day pass for this resort? Did you need to take a taxi too?

Kooljamming, how much was a day pass for this resort? Did you need to take a taxi too?

For the Sunset Jamaica Grande it's $60. It's a about a 10 minute walk or a short taxi drive. The ship pretty much docks in-front of the resort, so make that a short swim as well:).

See my album

My family and I will be there the week of December 13, looking for a family friendly day...we are limited in what we can do, because my youngest is only 3 years old....A beach day at Sunset might hit the spot...

How do we book a daypass at Sunset?

When I saw this thread, it kind of piqued my interest in Beaches, as I had totally forgotten about it. I emailed them this morning, and just received this reply back (I highlighted certain things of direct relevance to this thread):

Thank you for contacting Sandals and Beaches Resorts. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

Below is the information you requested.

Please note all property passes must be purchased upon arrival at the resort and cannot be arranged prior. This excludes the Wedding Pass, which may be purchased prior to travel via our special requests department. These rates do not include transportation.

FULL DAY PASS 10am-2am - US$130 per adult (Sandals and Beaches)

US $70 per child (Beaches)

DAY PASS 10am - 6pm -

US$85 per adult (Sandals and Beaches)

US$45 per per child (Beaches)

EVENING PASS 6pm - 2am -

US$85 per adult (Sandals and Beaches)

US$45 per child (Beaches)

SANDALS INN

FULL DAY 10am-2am-

US $120 per person

DAY PASS 10am - 6pm -

US$60 per person

EVENING PASS- 6pm - 2am -

US$60 per person

Negril Gardens

Day Pass - US$65.00p/p 10am - 6pm

Evening Pass- US$65.00p/p 6p-12midnight

Full Pass (Day and evening) US$130.00p/p

(Children 2 - 15 half price)

All rates subject to change at any time without notice.

****Does not include the Royal Plantation Resort.

Thank you for choosing Sandals and Beaches Resorts.

Best regards,

E-Sales and Marketing Department

Sandals & Beaches resorts

http://www.SANDALS.com Toll Free 1-800-SANDALS

http://www.BEACHES.com Toll Free 1-800-BEACHES

For current promotions offered at our Sandals resorts please visit http://www.sandals.com/general/specials.cfm

For current promotions offered at our Beaches resorts http://www.beaches.com/general/specials.cfm

It would not appear that transportation is included.

That all said, Sunset is cheaper ($69/adts & $46/kids, transportation included), although perhaps not quite as nice as Beaches. They both have waterslides and are all-you-can-eat/drink. Both ahve nice beaches. As far as distance goes, Sunset is just across the bay from the pier (short drive/moderate walk), whereas Beaches is well beyond walking distance (20 minutes by cab?). IMO, Sunset seems to be the better choice for a day pass, but I'd probably pick Beaches if I was actually staying in Jamaica.

My family and I will be there the week of December 13, looking for a family friendly day...we are limited in what we can do, because my youngest is only 3 years old....A beach day at Sunset might hit the spot...

How do we book a daypass at Sunset?

I've been able to find two ways:

1. www.jamaicaforaday.com - You can buy through them and pre-arrange transfers from the pier. The cost is $60/adults and $40/kids, but if you want transfers, add $9/adult & $6/kid.

2. Make your way to the resort, itself (short taxi ride or long walk (for a 3yo)), and buy your passes directly from the resort. I cannot confirm it, but it seems like it is either the exact same price as jamaicaforaday or very near it.

My only concern with #1 is that if the weather sucks, you might opt to do something else (such as stay on board), but there wouldn't be a refund for merely bad weather. I'm not sure passes every sell out directly at the resort, but given when you are going (12/13 is low to shoulder season), I wouldn't worry about it.

We're going to be there on 11/23 - not sure yet which way I'm going to go. Plan to decide this week, though. Assuming we do go the Sunset route, although Beaches looks intriguing.

• 4 weeks later...
I've been able to find two ways:

1. www.jamaicaforaday.com - You can buy through them and pre-arrange transfers from the pier. The cost is $60/adults and $40/kids, but if you want transfers, add $9/adult & $6/kid.

I appreciate this link as we, too, are trying to decide what to do this time in OR. Have you used this before?

Visited Sunset Grand in Ocho Rios on Nov. 24th 2009. Grabbed a cab from the pier and was there in minutes. Kids, 9 and 10, loved the pools, slide and beach. Stayed all day and had a great time. Got burgers and hot dogs from the grill and parents ate at the restaurant. Cost included drinks and booze for adults. Have been to both Sunset Resorts, Ocho Rios and Mo Bay, and would go back in a heart beat.;)

Thanks, Sharkfan. We did an all-inclusive in Antigua, and loved it, so plan to do this one from Mo Bay in Feb. We hear for $9 each they will include the round trip transportation - did you do that or on your own? How much for a cab for 2 do you think?

Do we indeed not need towels from the ship? Anything else we should bring or not? Do they have a lot of sailboats? Thanks,

Visited Sunset Grand in Ocho Rios on Nov. 24th 2009. Grabbed a cab from the pier and was there in minutes. Kids, 9 and 10, loved the pools, slide and beach. Stayed all day and had a great time. Got burgers and hot dogs from the grill and parents ate at the restaurant. Cost included drinks and booze for adults. Have been to both Sunset Resorts, Ocho Rios and Mo Bay, and would go back in a heart beat.;)

Shark fan, did you just grab a random cab at the port? Thanks.

We are planning to go to Sunset Grand when in Ocho Rios in April. Do you have to bring beach towels from the ship? thanks.

Hi, yes we just grabbed a random taxi, told him where we wanted to go and agreed on the price. We got the taxi within the "terminal passanger" area. Both times the same taxi guy who took us was waiting to take us back to the ship.:) First time we had a party of 5 and recently 7.

We did take our ships beach towels with us so not sure about needing to. There was a towel station and would not know why they would not give one but not sure.

Cannot say how happy we were with Sunset Resorts.

About the taxis, once we grabbed one outside the "terminal" area. I asked a lady who had some type of uniform at the "taxi booth" if she could recommend someone to take us stright to Dunns River and back to Margaritaville. She lead us to a driver who was very nice. He asked how long we would be and our answer was about 1 1/2 hours. We spent more time there but he was waiting with "no Problem." Actually gave us his card and asked for us to call him next time we were in Ocho Rios and needed a cab.

Archived