from a single cruiser to family cruiser- help!

irun5k

Hey guys,

So I took my first cruise right when I graduated college, back in '97, on the old Carnival Celebration. It was small and old even back then but still the best cruise I've ever been on.

Several more cruises followed during the era of my single life. I had a lot of fun with friends but never found romance on the high seas; rather, it was dry land that brought me a DW and now a wonderful DS. DW and I took just one cruise together, while we were dating.

Has anyone else made this same journey? How has your cruising changed as your life has changed? You can imagine the quandary I'm in (its a GOOD quandary to be in though!) Our son will be almost 2 1/2 next May and I'd like to take the family on a cruise. I know a lot of parents swear by the Disney cruises. However, I'd really like to take a "conventional" cruise, maybe a week on the Oasis of the Seas. This ship is so large and has such a big kids program (from what I've read) that I feel it could still be very much a fun family experience. We may go with my wife's brother and sister-in-law (who don't have kids), and would have the advantage of them watching our son probably for one night, so we could have a night out.

Also, the goal is to relax. We wouldn't bring a car seat, and probably wouldn't take any excursions- we've done all we wanted to do before we got married, and our son is too young to really appreciate a big excursion. He is thoroughly entertained by the 25 cent horse ride in front of WalMart, so having some nice play areas and lots of places to walk around is key. So the majority of the time will be spent on board the ship and just walking around exploring the port areas.

So anyway, I guess I'm interested to hear about your journey, if you've been going on cruises throughout the different stages of your life. Also, what kind of cruising family do we sound like? I'm thinking we're not Disney people, although I know a lot of people who swear by their cruises. I wonder how our cruising experience might differ, if we went on a Disney boat vs the Oasis with our 2.5 yr old?

Thanks!

No one entertains like Disney can...but, their ships are more expensive than many others...

Who knows what a cruise on Oasis will be like...it's SUCH a huge ship....

I think when your son is a bit older, he'll really LOVE a Disney cruise (he's a bit young to appreciate it, now, I think)

I think your plan to forgo excursions is probably wise, as it will take you the entire time to "scope out" a ship like Oasis!

I think when your son is a bit older, he'll really LOVE a Disney cruise (he's a bit young to appreciate it, now, I think)

Well, that is a good point. At his age, I feel like a vacation is two things: (1) chance for mommy and daddy to relax from being at the office, cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, yard work, etc. and (2) a chance for DS to enjoy being with mommy and daddy for an entire week, without mommy and daddy being all stressed out from the things just mentioned.

Hey guys,

So I took my first cruise right when I graduated college, back in '97, on the old Carnival Celebration. It was small and old even back then but still the best cruise I've ever been on.

Several more cruises followed during the era of my single life. I had a lot of fun with friends but never found romance on the high seas; rather, it was dry land that brought me a DW and now a wonderful DS. DW and I took just one cruise together, while we were dating.

Has anyone else made this same journey? How has your cruising changed as your life has changed? You can imagine the quandary I'm in (its a GOOD quandary to be in though!) Our son will be almost 2 1/2 next May and I'd like to take the family on a cruise. I know a lot of parents swear by the Disney cruises. However, I'd really like to take a "conventional" cruise, maybe a week on the Oasis of the Seas. This ship is so large and has such a big kids program (from what I've read) that I feel it could still be very much a fun family experience. We may go with my wife's brother and sister-in-law (who don't have kids), and would have the advantage of them watching our son probably for one night, so we could have a night out.

Also, the goal is to relax. We wouldn't bring a car seat, and probably wouldn't take any excursions- we've done all we wanted to do before we got married, and our son is too young to really appreciate a big excursion. He is thoroughly entertained by the 25 cent horse ride in front of WalMart, so having some nice play areas and lots of places to walk around is key. So the majority of the time will be spent on board the ship and just walking around exploring the port areas.

So anyway, I guess I'm interested to hear about your journey, if you've been going on cruises throughout the different stages of your life. Also, what kind of cruising family do we sound like? I'm thinking we're not Disney people, although I know a lot of people who swear by their cruises. I wonder how our cruising experience might differ, if we went on a Disney boat vs the Oasis with our 2.5 yr old?

Thanks!

Just so you know I am pretty sure for the kids program on RCCL the child has to be at least 3 years old and potty trained. On Carnival they only have to be 2 and don't have to be potty trained. We also have been on RCCL Freedom of the Seas (without our kids) which was the largest ship at the time before Oasis of the Seas and our room was at one end of the hall and it seemed like you were walking forever before we got to our room so if I were you I would book a room close to the elevator if you do book Oasis.

In 2 days we are taking our first "family" cruise. I started cruising in college with my girlfriends. When hubby and I started dating, I introduced him to cruising, and we've been hooked ever since.

Our DD is 2, and although she recognizes the Disney characters, I think she is too young to warrant spending the $$$ for Disney.

Like the previous poster said - you need to double-check the ages of the Kids Clubs. NCL will take them at 2, but will not change diapers. If memory serves me correct (it's been awhile since I researched this), Carnival will also take them at 2. All the other mass market lines (Princess, RCCL, Celebrity) - the kids need to be 3.

Yeah but the nursery is not free, here's what their website says:

The charge is $8 per hour, per child. This can be charged in hour increments (minimum session charge is $8 for 1 hour even if child is picked up early).

Hi guys, good info- I had heard about the age 2 thing on Carnival which is why were were thinking of taking a cruise next year when he'll be 2 1/2. I didn't realize that RCI was 3, but it makes sense that this has now changed on the Oasis class since they have a nursery and everything.

Our son isn't in day care, so he's not really used to spending long lengths of time away from us although he does good for a couple hours. But $8 an hour is actually very attractive. The means for $114 my wife and I can have 2 full hours a day of alone time, for a whole week! (I sound enthusiastic mainly because we've had like 2 'dates' in the last two years.) And the little guy will be doing fun stuff during that time, no doubt. And the rest of the day we have to enjoy together as a family.

In 2 days we are taking our first "family" cruise.

How exciting! Which cruise line are you booked on and how long are you sailing for? Do you have an idea of how you're going to spend your days on board, or just call it by ear?

How exciting! Which cruise line are you booked on and how long are you sailing for? Do you have an idea of how you're going to spend your days on board, or just call it by ear?

We will be on the NCL Dawn for 7 days to Bermuda. Not exactly sure how we will spend the sea days - most likely DD will be in the Kids Club for an hour here and there. I don't forsee putting her in there all day, but I am hoping she likes it enough to want to hang so hubby & I can have some nice, quiet meals together!

My son was 2.5 almost 3 when we first started to cruise with him. I wouldn't discount the shore excursions...beaches are a great place for little ones. And it gives everyone some water time - remember, if the child is not potty trained, they are not allowed in the pools - swim diaper or not.

We have done all kinds of things without a car seat from beaches, to dolphin encounters to sting rays to zoos. Depending on where you are going, there are tons of family friendly things to do off the ship.

Personally, we are Carnival people, and my DS was in school at 2, so he was more than happy to go to camp and had a blast doing it. Whatever you decide, family cruising is a great vacation.

Archived