Helpful things to bring on the cruise

Murphy&Bailey

Bonus: 11. I love the suggestion of duct tape ... they should make it in a travel size. If you're ever had a cabin that has something "jiggling" .....

In Canada we can get it in a small flat pack at our Canadian Tire and at some dollar stores. I haven't looked at Home Depot but you may also find it there or at a car supply store.

We've started carrying our headlamps instead of flashlights. Way more convenient in all circumstances we've needed them in.

I always carry Benadryl with me...if there's a strange insect or sea creature or plant that will cause a reaction, it finds me...usually hours away from anyplace where I can buy Benadryl.

Sooner or later on this type of thread, someone always ridicules the shoe organizer and the duct tape. We don't always need the duct tape, but it seems that whenever we leave it home, we end up buying another roll. As for the shoe organizer...it is so handy that we always take it on any trip over 4 days. Since our trips frequently are 3 or 4 in one, we used to have to do a lot of unpacking/packing. Now that we use the shoe organizer for anything that will fit in it, I just roll it up and put it in the suitcase every morning, and when we get to the new hotel, just unroll it and hang it on the door or shower curtain rod. It is probably the #1 best piece of advice I have gotten off this entire website.

I always take my mini Leatherman...seems to be more compact and user friendly than the Swiss army knife.

Here are a couple of additions you can pick up at the local Dollar Tree:

Ponchos that fold into very small package. They fit into your pocket or purse and are really handy when that unexpected rain shower pops up.

Plastic holders with suction cups that adhere easily to the mirror in the bathroom to hold tooth brushes, a glass, as well as lots of other small items that clutter up the sink area.

Oh yes, we second the best suggestion so far: WINE, lots of wine.

duct tape ... they should make it in a travel size. If you're ever had a cabin that has something "jiggling" .....

I read a suggestion on another thread, in case you cannot find the travel size or flat pack, is to take an old credit card and wrap some duct tape around it - keep wrapping until you figure you've got enough to fix stuff on your trip ! Flat, compact and cheap !

You're definitely not alone! I would of gotten of the boat earlier, but my cabin stewart adviced me that I had to go to the dinning room for the mustard drill, and he knows alot about cursing! After a day in Antiqua, I stopped at the bursar's desk to check on my shore excurtion in St. Marteen. When you crusie, its' really impotent to no you're way around, as their are alot of things that will make you're cruse funner!

I am still roaring. You made my day...........:D

Oh yes, we second the best suggestion so far: WINE, lots of wine.

That's the best suggestion yet! :D

I laughed when the poster above mentioned inside cabins being darker than the inside of a cow...so true. So easy to sleep the day away if you don't set a wake up call. One tip for that--turn on the bathroom light, then open the door, put out the deadbolt and let it close. It will stay open just a crack, enough to illuminate the room enough to see.

The only time that didn't work too well was when we hit VERY rough seas in the South Pacific on a small ship. The door swung open....lots of light..then BANG as it slammed shut while the ship rocked and rolled. But under most conditions it worked well...that night was rough enough things slid off the desk, etc.

. If you don't have alot of memory on your camera, take an empty disc as you can download to the disc in the photo gallery - I was recently on a long cruise with 2 x 256mb memory cards - I was getting low and it cost me $9 or so for a disc at the photo gallery (far cheaper alternative to a memory card) - .;);)

You could have bought a much much larger memory card for not much more than $9.00. On my camera, a 256 meg card would hold about 18 pictures.

DON

I would say over the counter medications that we take for granted like tylenol, ibuprofen, hydrocortisone cream, benadryl etc. I was on a carnival cruise once and had an allergic reaction to something. Being an ER nurse, and my mother is a physician we knew exactly what I needed. However the gift shop did not carry what I needed so I had to go the Dr. onboard who was foreign and did not practice medicine like we do in the states. He would not give me what I needed, some simple benadryl and over the counter hydrocortisone. (I finally got some from the nurse who was British and a life saver!) Now I pack my own little pharmacy with me!

For those who read this whole thread, let me second the assertion that it is considered completely inappropriate to correct spelling and grammar mistakes of other contributors -- not just here but on all public boards. What a shallow life if this is how one gets joy.

Bill

I use a big NIKE bag to carry our snorkeling equipment.It folds nicely in a suitcase and is used ss dirty laundry carrier to come home.All dirty laundry goes in a mesh bag plop it in NIKE bag DONE> It is great if you do not pay for luggage ...Air Canada does not charge

I find clothes bulky not heavy ...SOLUTION the Vacuum bags ..not sure what they are called for fluffy stuff .Worked GREAT in Alaska .Borrowed Vacuum from Cabin Steward

Also I have a BIG duffle bag that weighs Nothing ..or almost .I fill it with those bags ..YUP it REALLY weighs 50 lbs when I'm done

I wish someone would make a really sturdy LIGHT suitcase with wheels .Mine empty still weighs over 10 lbs

Bring sunburn gel .The sun is HOT in Carib and the chances of getting ROASTED are high I got ICE ..it really helps

Making a list really helps .I agree with Benadryl or Caladryl .Tummy meds .ASpirin or Tylenol .Ointment .Chapstick

ESP IMPORTANT ..! WARM outfit like JOgging Suit with hoodie .I find SEADAYS COOL on ship Always bring sweater or wrap for evenings

Bon Voyage

You could have bought a much much larger memory card for not much more than $9.00. On my camera, a 256 meg card would hold about 18 pictures.

DON

I have lots of 4GB memory cards but would like a back up for a 2nd copy of my images in case lost in transit and I am never 100% confident with scanning machines.

A small roll of duct tape is a good idea - it can be used in so many "emergencies" - perhaps a damaged suitcase; a squeaky drawer or something else loose in your cabin; temporary watch strap repair; for the ladies it may be used as temporary stitching; temporary shoe repair - really the list becomes endless for "duct tape" repair. I wear contact lenses and always take a small flashlight when travelling in case I drop a lens in a shadowy or dimly lit area - the flash light will quickly cause the lens to shine. A small spare gym/kit bag is often handy to carry items (books, sunglasses etc) to the pool or beach. I always take a small aluminum flask which might be used to take a little extra booze in your kit bag - very handy for travel anywhere/anytime. If you don't have alot of memory on your camera, take an empty disc as you can download to the disc in the photo gallery - I was recently on a long cruise with 2 x 256mb memory cards - I was getting low and it cost me $9 or so for a disc at the photo gallery (far cheaper alternative to a memory card) - I mentioned a memory stick to the photo shop attendant, however, he told me they didn't have the technology to download to a memory stick. A rainproof hat that won't blow off will come in handy as well. Really the list is endless - a neck lanyard is used by many to secure their cruise card ie the front desk or gift shop will punch a whole in your security card to be attached to the lanyard. Happy Cruising and hope some of you find some useful hints here. A small bungy cord can be useful as well to secure a couple of suitcases together if need be.;);)

Am I correct in reading this that you can take blank DVD's with you to transfer images to and if the case what is the charge to do this in the photo gallery.

For those who read this whole thread, let me second the assertion that it is considered completely inappropriate to correct spelling and grammar mistakes of other contributors -- not just here but on all public boards. What a shallow life if this is how one gets joy.

Bill

So true, Bill!!

For the poster that suggested that pop up hamper, guess what..bought one today at CVS!!! Good idea. Love this board!:p

That's the best suggestion yet! :D

I laughed when the poster above mentioned inside cabins being darker than the inside of a cow...so true. So easy to sleep the day away if you don't set a wake up call. One tip for that--turn on the bathroom light, then open the door, put out the deadbolt and let it close. It will stay open just a crack, enough to illuminate the room enough to see.

The only time that didn't work too well was when we hit VERY rough seas in the South Pacific on a small ship. The door swung open....lots of light..then BANG as it slammed shut while the ship rocked and rolled. But under most conditions it worked well...that night was rough enough things slid off the desk, etc.

Better yet, tune the TV to View from the Bridge Channel. Mute volumn. It will be dark all night, then in the morning it will be daylight, Just like a window.

My top 10:

1. Light Weight Binoculars. We have balcony cabin so this is really important.

2. Something to combat motion sickness - for my wife mandatory - for me just in case

3. Someting to store and back up pictures - a laptop/traveldrive or extra memory cards

4. If we are doing our own excursions - I purchase a few dollars worth of currency before I leave in case of emergencies. Also we may need it before we find an ATM.

5. A list of phone numbers in case of emergencies - Princess, Travel Insurance, Medical, Credit Cards.

6. Travel scale to weigh luggage - mine has a built in flashlight.

7. Maps of places we will visit on our own excursions.

8 I make a notebook with the day by day itineraries. Each day has notes (places to see, restaurants, prices, directions, pubs etc.) so I do not forget anything.

9 Hand Sanitizer/ Packets of Wet Ones to wash hands/Lysol for the cabin.

10 A sense of humor, patience and an attitude that you are going to have a good time no matter what.

... my Dad uses an old prescription drug container with the label soaked off to keep quarters - fit nicely with cap and you can stuff a cotton ball in the top to keep them from rattling - for self-laundry.

A small flashlight for safety is a second - always take one each.

I have a nifty new thing for sports - it's a wrist-band with small concealed zipper compartment in it - enough to hold card, key etc. which I will use on our upcoming cruise for my room card.

To go with lots of wine, how about a couple of flameless (battery powered) candles to set the relaxing and romantic tone?

HCBI

Archived