LONG REVIEW: Sapphire Mexican Cruise - Oct. 17-24, 2009

mikjr

Or just taped. Last year on the Sapphire for the MR, the entire week was just a taped rerun. It was never live. The CD just did interviews with various crewmembers in various parts of the ship. At one point, you could see that a segment was taped in Alaska! I really like when a CD tapes it live and even references events that happened the previous day. Sooo much better than recycled tapes. :p

Wow that is pathetic to just show taped reruns. What a hopeless CD.

We were on that cruise too. First time Princess cruisers and have mixed reviews of Princess. We've cruised 9 times and never have had such an invisible cruise director. Where was he? :confused: Not around the ship, that's for sure. Saw him in the Princess Theater and that was it.

A few comments.....On a positive note, was pleasantly surprised that the coffee was fine. Beds also thanks to the egg crate. Soft serve ice cream was excellent. After reading all the posts I was expecting the worst. :)The food for the most part was good. Nothing to write home about what all in all good. What I noticed on the Sapphire was none of the waiters engaged in conservation with us other than with what we were ordering.Other cruises we have been on the staff asks how was your day, talks about options for the next day, weather, etc. Wondering if that is because of anytime dining. Oh well...no big deal. One afternoon my husband asked our cabin steward if it was okay for him to wear shorts in the dining room for lunch. Was told no, long pants were in order. He changes clothes, we go to the dining room and there were numerous men wearing shorts. From then on he wore shorts to the dining room (breakfast/lunch only) and nothing was said.

I can see how so many complain about the Horizon Court. Just a mess traffic wise. People scrambling around confused about the format. One afternoon a woman cut through the line and the woman in front of me went postal. Thought there was going to be a fight.:eek: Turned out to be a verbal smackdown of the woman who claims she was "only cutting in line for a oiece of bread" with an empty platter in her hand. Princess really needs to work on this. Made me feel uncomfortable as a bystander.

The drinks. Oh my....I don't mind paying $7.00 for a drink but come on Princess - where's the booze? :confused: Might as well be virgin drinks. After the first few days, and trying a drink of the day, decided to switch to plain Coke/Pepsi which we bought off the ship and brought back to the room.Same with beer. $21.00 for 5 cans of beer? Bought a 12 pack in Catalina Island for $9.00.

The tour of Alcatraz was good - except for the $99.00 per person charge.Especially when the posted rates at Alcatraz are something like $27.00. The tour did include a bus trip up to the top of the Island, but not worth $99.00 in my opinion. :( Live and learn.

I've enjoyed reading all the posts leading up to our cruise. It's a shame our itinerary was cancelled due to the weather. Princess made a wise choice keeping us safe. I just had this let down feeling since the announcement on Sunday afternoon.

We did meet nice people from all over the US and to that I am grateful.We are thinking of a Panama Canal Cruise for next March and debating if we should try Princess again. Any thoughts on the Island Princess 10 day Acapulco to Fort Lauderdale full transit?

Hoping I didn't come across as Negative Nellie! Marie

Hoping I didn't come across as Negative Nellie! Marie

Thanks Marie for confirming a bit of what we had experienced. I was beginning to think it was me.

A few on the boards have a real loyalty and devotion to "their" cruiselines (which ever one that may be)... and sometimes tend to dismiss negative comments, stating that maybe the OP was just knitpickey. But like yourself, we have been on many cruises, including several on Princess... and this had to be the least enjoyable.

Mike - I am with you 100%. Your comments were honest and spot on. I've enjoyed reading all your posts leading up to this cruise. (Too bad Mother Nature wasn't on our side.) Where in the heck was the cruise director? On other cruises we have been on, the cruise directors worked their butts off - they were everywhere day and night. This guy was nowhere to be seen except for introducing the acts in the Princess Theater every evening. By the way, congrats to your son on his engagement!

Mike - I am with you 100%. Where in the heck was the cruise director? On other cruises we have been on, the cruise directors worked their butts off - they were everywhere day and night. This guy was nowhere to be seen except for introducing the acts in the Princess Theater every evening. By the way, congrats to your son on his engagement!

I had heard good things about Billy London, but was disappointed. In his defense... I did hear this was his last cruise for a while he was going home for the holidays... BUT, we were on vacation and should have gotten more from him.

Our best Princess cruise director, and maybe the best we've ever experieced on any cruise was DAVID COLE!! He was absolutely the best... involved with every event, dressed up for the sock hop/western nights, sang, danced, led the troops... he was outstanding! And his cruise staff was just as outstanding. A sign that the leadership starts at the top!!

We are very happy for our son and his girlfriend. they make a great couple and really enjoyed the cruise. We've planned another one with them next fall to Hawaii.

Mike - I am with you 100%. Your comments were honest and spot on. I've enjoyed reading all your posts leading up to this cruise. (Too bad Mother Nature wasn't on our side.) Where in the heck was the cruise director? On other cruises we have been on, the cruise directors worked their butts off - they were everywhere day and night. This guy was nowhere to be seen except for introducing the acts in the Princess Theater every evening. By the way, congrats to your son on his engagement!

I was also on this cruise and had a wonderful time. I didn't care if I ever saw the CD. Having him interacting with the passengers is not my main reason for cruising. In fact, I could never figure out why people need to know the identity of the Captain and Cruise Director for the cruise they have just booked. Just go on your cruise and know that someone capable will be "driving" the "boat".

And who cares if the center door to the HC is open or shut. I was able to access the food tables any time I wanted.

I was also on this cruise and had a wonderful time. I didn't care if I ever saw the CD. Having him interacting with the passengers is not my main reason for cruising. In fact, I could never figure out why people need to know the identity of the Captain and Cruise Director for the cruise they have just booked. Just go on your cruise and know that someone capable will be "driving" the "boat".

And who cares if the center door to the HC is open or shut. I was able to access the food tables any time I wanted.

Frankly I could care less who the captain is... but I do expect a level of entertainment while on board, and if that expectation is not met, then I look to the reasons why. We also had a great time, CD or not... but that does not diminish the fact that the CD was not visible during the cruise.

Obviously you must not have read some of the comments early in this thread that stated the ship's "live morning show" with the CD, replayed the PREVIOUS WEEKS comments about Puerto Vallarta by the CD, even though our itinerary had changed. They had a whole day's notice, you'd think they would have at least taken a minute to record a new show, and something relevant to our cruise.

As I mentioned before, this is the first cruise where the CD was no where to be seen.

I've been on cruises where the CD's were outstanding. Frequently seen and very personable. If I came across as not enjoying my cruise, that was not my intent. We had a good time. Not the best cruise ever, but not the worst either.

Archived