LONG REVIEW: Sapphire Mexican Cruise - Oct. 17-24, 2009

mikjr

We sailed on the Sapphire last year and found similarities to your experiences.

The cocktails are diluted, specifically the 'fruity' ones. I like vodka martinis but they were disappointing and I have to agree that if Princess would offer a half-decent drink at an affordable price, there would be no issue re bringing alcohol on board. They charge exorbitant prices for their pictures, alcohol and half-decent coffee - perhaps they should rethink this approach. All-Inclusives such as Sandals provides first class - everything! Don't have to pay for additional food/services, it's included. Good booze; good food; good service; good - everything. I am also not surprised at the 'poll' with regard to who gave the best service. Did Princess not see a pattern? Those who have to rely on 'tips' gave the best service while those who are salaried such as cruise directors, could care less if you like them or not....and mostly ...not!:(

Is the price similar to what you pay for Sandals and similar all inclusives? (not flaming, I really don't know). If so then that is interesting. If not, they have to stay in business somehow.

Is the price similar to what you pay for Sandals and similar all inclusives? (not flaming, I really don't know). If so then that is interesting. If not, they have to stay in business somehow.

I would think Sandals has a lot less overhead than a floating hotel, but I might be wrong.

I have done Sandals/Beaches, Couples, and many other all inclusive from Caribbean to Mexico. To get a comparable vacation, an all inclusive can easily be less, but cruising gives you ports which are priceless. All inclusive gives you booze, a room with a nice view, and more than banquet food in th MDR. The minute these are factored into a cruise vacation, you are talking major dollars. Cruising can be about value, because you can get a lot for very little if you ignore the extras.

Note: Sandals is way over priced in my book but they deliver a good product. Resorts like the Palladium, Secrets, Grand Lido deliver a similar product without the Sandals name for far less.

Not trying to discourage anyone from Princess or cruising, or into the land of swim-up bars, top shelf liquor and all inclusive resorts :-)

I agree that the drinks are weak. Is it illegal to take on liquor? If so, how does one do it, because I know that it's done. We also usually bring our own water bottles and cans of soda, as the prices on the ship are ridiculous. We'll be on the Sapphire in a few weeks. Thanks for the info.

I agree that the drinks are weak. Is it illegal to take on liquor? If so, how does one do it, because I know that it's done. We also usually bring our own water bottles and cans of soda, as the prices on the ship are ridiculous. We'll be on the Sapphire in a few weeks. Thanks for the info.

According to CSI - According to Cruise Scene Investigators passengers have admitted to replacing 'wata' with Voka and Jack Daniels in ice tea bottles. Many, not from the Bahamas, have admitted to wrapping a bottle of Bahama Mama and securing it in their luggage. Rumor has it but not confirmed if that if these item are seized (unopened) they are return at the end of the cruise. Wine and champagne are allowed to celebrate special occasions but every evening could be special. This is according to CSI and I am sure others have read the report and can add;)

Wow bummer to read as we are on this next week.....and I was really excited....

This is CRUISE CRITIC and many feel the need to critique many aspects and are sometime drawn to the negative over the many positives. I think it is hillarious that there are some many posts as to whether the middle gate is open or not.

This is a wonderful cruise and you will have to work hard not to have a terrific vacation! Sapphire is a great ship. 5 pools, Sabbatinis, the Steakhouse, four anytime restaurants and the Horizon Court buffet. The grill and pizza by the pool serve incredible hamburgers and the margarita pizza is tasty. The entertainment is first rate and the ambiance of the ship is very relaxing for the number of passengers.

Plan on a wonderful vacation. and who knows, maybe they will open the gate in the Horizon Court for an added bonus.

Happy Cruising.

The cocktails are diluted, specifically the 'fruity' ones. I like vodka martinis but they were disappointing and I have to agree that if Princess would offer a half-decent drink at an affordable price, there would be no issue re bringing alcohol on board. They charge exorbitant prices for their pictures, alcohol and half-decent coffee - perhaps they should rethink this approach. All-Inclusives such as Sandals provides first class - everything! Don't have to pay for additional food/services, it's included. Good booze; good food; good service; good - everything. I am also not surprised at the 'poll' with regard to who gave the best service. Did Princess not see a pattern? Those who have to rely on 'tips' gave the best service while those who are salaried such as cruise directors, could care less if you like them or not....and mostly ...not!:(

Did you try a Stole 007 in crooners at $6.75+tip there great and not watered down. And if you think 6.75 is high don't ever order a drink at the Pan Pacific or for that matter the LAX Marriott.

If you want all inclusive go to Silverseas but you pay the price.

There is a 15% gratuity added to all drinks so they do get a tip.

We thought the Sapphire and its crew do an outstanding job. Our opinion of course but a lot of others have the same opinion go read the reviews.

If I were you I would avoid cruising and stay at Sandals. Obviously the cruising life style does not suit you. I enjoy the quality provided by Princess for the price and the fact that their good quality alcoholic drinks are the same price as any reasonable hotel and are not included in the overall cost of the cruise.

This is CRUISE CRITIC and many feel the need to critique many aspects and are sometime drawn to the negative over the many positives. I think it is hillarious that there are some many posts as to whether the middle gate is open or not.

This is a wonderful cruise and you will have to work hard not to have a terrific vacation! Sapphire is a great ship. 5 pools, Sabbatinis, the Steakhouse, four anytime restaurants and the Horizon Court buffet. The grill and pizza by the pool serve incredible hamburgers and the margarita pizza is tasty. The entertainment is first rate and the ambiance of the ship is very relaxing for the number of passengers.

Plan on a wonderful vacation. and who knows, maybe they will open the gate in the Horizon Court for an added bonus.

Happy Cruising.

Thank you. This is our first time on the Sapphire as well as the Mexican Riveria. This is very exciting for us. I will have a review when I get home...

Christapie

Happy Cruising.

I could not have said it better myself!!

WOW... we had NOTHING like this on our cruise. very disappointing!!

Maybe they figured since everyone was already ticked because we didn't make the Mexican ports... they'd just forget the good stuff and save the money!!

Or you just missed it... I know I miss a bunch of stuff when I cruise... almost TOO many things to do.. :)

Or you just missed it... I know I miss a bunch of stuff when I cruise... almost TOO many things to do.. :)

Us too, now I know my camera has failed me. I took over a 1000 pics, and I thought every inch of this ship, but not one with a band. The aft balcony made it for it:D

4cats4me - They had this divider on Golden Princess (August) during peak time. You could not move easily from one station to the other. I have a pic of everything except for the band;).

Short video of Horizon Court during non peak time

http://entertainment.webshots.com/video/3014279260101627832jFiNCy

2561555600101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

to the poster who wrote that they think it is "hilarious" that there is

a discussion about whether the gate in HC was open or closed, I don't

understand why that is comical:confused:

I was merely pointing out a difference from all the other cruises, and the

only reason I pointed it out was to explain the extreme congestion

that is now being created because of no one being able to exit a

very small buffet, and to compensate for such bad flow, they

put in an additional exit, but when that additional exit ceases to exist,

it created crowds in the HC. Think about it.... what if there was an

emergency at sea or what if something catches fire in the HC, with

the center gates closed you could get into some real problems with

lack of egress.

We just found it strange, especially when the old system worked much

better.

Okay, I'm done.

Actually... we went up to the pool deck for the "Mexican Fiesta Party" and found nothing but the band, and one of the cruise staff handing out HAWAIIAN leis. Not that I really needed another bite to eat, there was none.

Based on many previous cruises, including several on Princess... by comparison... this was not what I would call a party! All of the deck party's we've attended in the past had at least some kind of food or snacks... most were attended by all the cruise staff, including the cruise director. The party atmostphere on THIS cruise just wasn't there.

When I'm on a cruise I don't have to: cook, clean, make the beds, do the laundry, blah blah blah. I never complain unless my food is cold (unacceptable anywhere, even a fast food joint:D); my tablemates or neighbors are obnoxious, and this has happened only once in our more than 25 cruises and the waiter moved them on his own - maybe to Siberia or the sea:p as we never saw them again), or OMG I can't think of a reason:eek:.

I think this is our 5th or 6th Mexican Riviera cruise on several different cruise lines, and we probably will never leave the ship, or who knows, maybe I will. But it is reasonable and Princess does a good job of providing entertainment all day long. If you don't find something that interests you, then I guess you should go elsewhere, maybe Sandals/Beaches/Couples/San Souci/stay home???

I think this is our 5th or 6th Mexican Riviera cruise on several different cruise lines, and we probably will never leave the ship, or who knows, maybe I will. But it is reasonable and Princess does a good job of providing entertainment all day long. If you don't find something that interests you, then I guess you should go elsewhere, maybe Sandals/Beaches/Couples/San Souci/stay home???

My goodness... I'm not sure where this came from or who this is in reference to... but, I never said anything about not having anything to do. I don't need to be entertained... I can do that on my own. Having said that... on every cruise we have been on... when there is a deck party, there has always been food and more participation from the cruise staff.

In my opinion, the cruise director and his staff drive the atmosphere on any ship. When we cruised the Island Princess a couple of years ago to Hawaii... they had the BEST cruise director and staff we'd had ever experieced... a fun bunch of young people. And... it made the cruise outstanding and exceptionally fun!

I'm not the type of person that knitpicks and complains about every little thing. But, when you have a level of expectations... based on previous experience... and then those expectations are not met, I think it's appropriate to state the facts... and maybe even ask the questions as to what happened. That's the only way things can improve... not by moaning and groaning, but by constructive criticism. I thought that's what the CC boards are for... to share the good, bad and ugly (hopefully none) about your cruise experience. :o

We were on the same cruise with mikjr and must agree that the CD and staff were total no shows on this cruise......in fact, the "live morning show" on 19OCT (Monday) was, in fact, a replay of a morning show for Puerto Vallarta taped many weeks ago!!! He told us all about PVR, embarking and disembarking times and reminded everyone to change their clocks!!!

We had been told at 4PM on Sunday afternoon that the itinerary had been changed and the ship turned around and headed to SFO. If the "live morning show" is either taped late the evening before (as has been suggested) or is suppose to be truly live then the CD would NOT have been telling us all about PVR!

A CD and their staff set the tone for the cruise and the passengers could have used some upbeat events to help forget we were not going to Mexico.

We, personally, are glad the captain made the decision to not risk the ship, staff and passengers. We live on the West Coast but enjoyed the ports, blue sky, sunshine and calm seas we had versus the missed ports, rain and seasickness the NCL Star endured. It would have been nice to have the CD been as pro-active, as most of the rest of the staff, to raise the level of smiles on board.

We were on the same cruise with mikjr and must agree that the CD and staff were total no shows on this cruise......in fact, the "live morning show" on 19OCT (Monday) was, in fact, a replay of a morning show for Puerto Vallarta taped many weeks ago!!! He told us all about PVR, embarking and disembarking times and reminded everyone to change their clocks!!!

We had been told at 4PM on Sunday afternoon that the itinerary had been changed and the ship turned around and headed to SFO. If the "live morning show" is either taped late the evening before (as has been suggested) or is suppose to be truly live then the CD would NOT have been telling us all about PVR!

A CD and their staff set the tone for the cruise and the passengers could have used some upbeat events to help forget we were not going to Mexico.

We, personally, are glad the captain made the decision to not risk the ship, staff and passengers. We live on the West Coast but enjoyed the ports, blue sky, sunshine and calm seas we had versus the missed ports, rain and seasickness the NCL Star endured. It would have been nice to have the CD been as pro-active, as most of the rest of the staff, to raise the level of smiles on board.

Yes, it's the CD and their staff that sets the tone for the cruise. Too bad your CD didn't step up to the plate... :(

snip

In my opinion, the cruise director and his staff drive the atmosphere on any ship. When we cruised the Island Princess a couple of years ago to Hawaii... they had the BEST cruise director and staff we'd had ever experieced... a fun bunch of young people. And... it made the cruise outstanding and exceptionally fun!

snip

Must have been Richard Joseph. I so agree. He and his staff added so much to the cruise experience. There were always interesting and fun activities going on, enthusiastic staff and happy passengers.

The Princess cruises I've been on since have been sorely lacking in cruise directors and staff that care about passenger enjoyment of their on board experience. In fact, some have been downright rude.

Looking over Princess Patters from a recent Sapphire Mexican Riviera cruise (non-diverted) http://web.me.com/thecruiseguys/The_Cruise_Guys/Sapphire_Princess_Information.html it looks like it can get pretty boring on board. I plan to bring a lot of books to entertain myself and hope the CD and staff are different in January.

Jackie

Hate to break it to you but the 'Live morning show' is always taped at about 4:30 the previous afternoon. However if the schedule changes it is normal for the CD to retape the relevant portions of the show. To not do that is very shoddy.

Hate to break it to you but the 'Live morning show' is always taped at about 4:30 the previous afternoon. However if the schedule changes it is normal for the CD to retape the relevant portions of the show. To not do that is very shoddy.

Or just taped. Last year on the Sapphire for the MR, the entire week was just a taped rerun. It was never live. The CD just did interviews with various crewmembers in various parts of the ship. At one point, you could see that a segment was taped in Alaska! I really like when a CD tapes it live and even references events that happened the previous day. Sooo much better than recycled tapes. :p

Archived